Skip to main content

Space... the final frontier...

Stargazing 3rd year,FANTASTIC

New space show starting tonight, @Mr Stickyfingers ......plus everyone

The Planets
'A Moment In The Sun: The Terrestrial Planets'
ABC, 7:40pm, Sun, 7 Jul 2019, 60 minutes
NEW SHOW
Trace the development of the four rocky worlds closest to the Sun: Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars. Born together they battled the unbelievable violence of the early solar system to become stable planets.

Series, United Kingdom, English, Documentary, Season 1 Episode 1

The Planets was good. Worth watching just for the scenery.

Over 4000 known exoplanets. I can remember when the prevailing wisdom was that we would never know if other stars had planets.

Over 4000 known exoplanets. I can remember when the prevailing wisdom was that we would never know if other stars had planets.

Science is awesome. Yep, it's not so long ago that while we didn't have proof there were other planets outside our system, I'm sure most astronomers and astrophysicists believed it was highly unlikely we were the only ones. And likewise, I extend that to intelligent life as well. Given the "dangerous, savage child-race" we are, it's probably best if we never meet them, though. :D

...how naive and concieted has Mankind been in the past in thinking that only Earth would be capable of sustaining Life in the past eh?... great clip odd job... cheers.

Space freaks......have you all discovered.....
THROUGH THE WORMHOLE, Saturday’s, 7.30, ntv 34
On right now...tonight Before the Big Bang......
Bonus, Morgan Freeman narrates

First image of the black hole at the centre of our galaxy is being announced.

…this reminds me of what I wrote back on page 8 of this thread lol!… cheers.

_________________________________________________________________________________

...haha!... this article reminds me of when I was at High School in the early 70's when I was in a 'Science' class one day... 'Black Holes' were a newly discussed topic with our rather 'enthused' Science teacher because it was the talk of the Scientific world at the time... so there he was prattling on and on and on and bloody on about 'Black Holes'... and because I was such a little shit of a kid at the time I grew bored with him blah blah blahhing on about them so I chose the right time when he paused and then asked if we had any questions... of course... because I was that little shit of a kid I put my hand up and the conversation went something like this from memory...

Me:... "Sir!... can I ask you a question?"...
Sir:... "yes Peter"...
Me:... "you're telling us that Black Holes are swirling around the Universe and are devouring everything that they encounter right?"...
Sir:... "yes... that's right Peter"...
Me:... "so not even Light can escape being sucked into it?"... (I take it a step further)... so it sucks in EVERY SINGLE THING in it's path no matter what it is... right?"...
Sir:... "yes that's right too"...
Me:... "okay... so what if two Black Holes swirl towards each other and finally meet each other... do they suck each other off?"...

...yes... the classroom erupted into laughter... and yes... I was in a LOT of trouble for that... I deserved it... as I said... I was a little shit of a kid at the time... true story...

First Images from the James Webb Space Telescope​

https://www.nasa.gov/webbfirstimages

main_image_deep_field_smacs0723-5mb.jpg

Amazing image.

If anyone hasn't read the explanation, all the spiky things are stars in our own galaxy, while every one of the fuzzy things is a galaxy out there somewhere.

…those images are magnificent… if there is anyone on this Planet Earth that doesn’t believe that there is life elsewhere in the Universe they are deluded… so many Galaxies… so many Planets… so many different forms of life… its truly amazing… cheers.

…NASA is talking about a Lunar Base again by 2024… on this website below…

…I seem to remember the same promises made by NASA in the late 60’s / early 70’s… I’m hoping that they mean it this time…. cheers.

…NASA is talking about a Lunar Base again by 2024… on this website below…

…I seem to remember the same promises made by NASA in the late 60’s / early 70’s… I’m hoping that they mean it this time…. cheers.

They won't by 2024. The Artemis rocket system won't be ready, unless everything from now on end goes perfectly. In a few weeks they hope to have it's first test launch, which will send the new space capsule to orbit the moon for a few weeks before returning. It will be awesome if it happens and it if works.

Even if the testing goes really well and everything is on track to land on the moon by 2024. The space suits most likely won't be ready. Elon Musk has said SpaceX could step in and provide suits by then, but that could just be him saying it. As they are a private company, no one really knows what their internal space suit fabrication situation is. Do they even have one for EVA suits? Who knows.

Even if the suits, rocket and capsule are ready. They need the lunar lander to be ready. Which due to the sad state of the space industry and legacy contractors. Is going to be a version of SpaceX's starship. Which is insane. Small capsule to go to the mood. Land in 15 story high spacecraft. Going to be spectacular if it works. They hope to have a test launch to space of a prototype soon. It'll probably blow up.

Even if it works, the things that need to be perfected is insane. Starship reliably launching and relaunching. Landing on the launch pad. They also need to have multiple launches to refuel the lunar starship in orbit.

It could happen, I doubt it, there's so much complicated stuff to figure out and get right.

The new moon stuff is cool, they're going to put a space station, The Lunar Gateway in orbit around the moon later in the decade.

I've probably said this in an earlier post, but the TV show For All Mankind on Apple+ is excellent. It's an alt history if the Russians beat the US to the moon and the space race continued into the 90s.

Back