Skip to main content

So...Back with "revised format"?

For once, and it pains me to say it, but I agree with kingston. BB's chance of coming back is low. If it comes back i'll be very surprised.

Reality TV these days, especially Australian Reality, is too controlled, the point of Big Brother was to throw a bunch of people into a house, give them some interesting stimulus every now and check out their reactions. The producers threw things at the wall to see what stuck. If it went down well with the housemates, ratings and Australia, they could use it again later. If not, no worry, they could put it away.

My point about reality nowadays being controlled is scenes are created, directed, manipulated and I'd even go as far to say staged to give a specific reactions from people. Directors aren't looking for a varied response, they want a specific emotion. For instance in Celebrity Apprentice, producers would turn the temperature and humidity up of air conditioning when they did their meetings with Mark Bouris to make the contestants, hot, bothered and sweaty, all to get a pissed of reaction from the celebs. Don't even get me started on love shows such as the Bachelor or Ex on the Beach, or any of that shit, fake reactions from fake people. Yuck.

The important part that is forgotten about Reality TV is the word Real. Real emotions. Real People. Real Stories. Real things. Not some cooked up, staged, scripted and manipulated trash. No fault of anyone really, its a culture shift. People enjoy the high drama and high emotion tv shows, for that phat advertising revenue from more views of course tv companies are going to be falling over themselves to serve the public what they want.

People don't want Big Brother anymore, except for us weirdos. I would love it to come back. But it won't. Culture has moved on, its time we all did as well.

For once, and it pains me to say it, but I agree with kingston. BB's chance of coming back is low. If it comes back i'll be very surprised.

Reality TV these days, especially Australian Reality, is too controlled, the point of Big Brother was to throw a bunch of people into a house, give them some interesting stimulus every now and check out their reactions. The producers threw things at the wall to see what stuck. If it went down well with the housemates, ratings and Australia, they could use it again later. If not, no worry, they could put it away.

My point about reality nowadays being controlled is scenes are created, directed, manipulated and I'd even go as far to say staged to give a specific reactions from people. Directors aren't looking for a varied response, they want a specific emotion. For instance in Celebrity Apprentice, producers would turn the temperature and humidity up of air conditioning when they did their meetings with Mark Bouris to make the contestants, hot, bothered and sweaty, all to get a pissed of reaction from the celebs. Don't even get me started on love shows such as the Bachelor or Ex on the Beach, or any of that shit, fake reactions from fake people. Yuck.

The important part that is forgotten about Reality TV is the word Real. Real emotions. Real People. Real Stories. Real things. Not some cooked up, staged, scripted and manipulated trash. No fault of anyone really, its a culture shift. People enjoy the high drama and high emotion tv shows, for that phat advertising revenue from more views of course tv companies are going to be falling over themselves to serve the public what they want.

People don't want Big Brother anymore, except for us weirdos. I would love it to come back. But it won't. Culture has moved on, its time we all did as well.

Not sure what you're agreeing with me about... I'm up in the air about BB returning... I think there is still a place for reality programming on TV... That said reviving the same old BB for a second time won't improve anything... I do believe that BB could be rebooted with a completely new format...

Would you say a better reboot would be one more similar to the American format, with more strategy?

I guess with the popularity of Survivor in Australia that could work.

How about they're in the house and to get luxuries they have cooking challenges.

Seriously though, as for it coming back. One has to wonder if there's a non free to air TV option. Streaming services haven't really got on board with reality TV and there could be a role.

Bring people onto the platform who aren't on it. Then through having a daily show they log on to for, get them in the habit of netflix being a go to platform over free to air.

Another option is Ten, restructured to a lower cost network may make Big Brother attractive because it's a lot of content.

How about they're in the house and to get luxuries they have cooking challenges.

Seriously though, as for it coming back. One has to wonder if there's a non free to air TV option. Streaming services haven't really got on board with reality TV and there could be a role.

Bring people onto the platform who aren't on it. Then through having a daily show they log on to for, get them in the habit of netflix being a go to platform over free to air.

Another option is Ten, restructured to a lower cost network may make Big Brother attractive because it's a lot of content.

Maybe Stan?

Maybe Stan?

An online only version of BB just wouldn't work for Australia... BB:OTT only exists due to the popularity of the CBS broadcast version and the fact that the show already has an established online base of loyal fans...

So far I am only aware of one other version that has attempted to air exclusively online and it wasn't considered successful enough for a second series... BB China also ran for only 12 days, aired 13 episodes in total, and as far as I know did not air a live feed...

BB is just too much of a risk for a startup like Stan and there is not enough of a payoff for Netflix with such a limited distribution...

An online only version of BB just wouldn't work for Australia... BB:OTT only exists due to the popularity of the CBS broadcast version and the fact that the show already has an established online base of loyal fans...

So far I am only aware of one other version that has attempted to air exclusively online and it wasn't considered successful enough for a second series... BB China also ran for only 12 days, aired 13 episodes in total, and as far as I know did not air a live feed...

BB is just too much of a risk for a startup like Stan and there is not enough of a payoff for Netflix with such a limited distribution...

okey dokey

So the Big Brother Twitter account has been retweeting Channel 9 show posts (20-1 & Australian Ninja Warrior) recently. I think good news is on the way!! :)

So the Big Brother Twitter account has been retweeting Channel 9 show posts (20-1 & Australian Ninja Warrior) recently. I think good news is on the way!! :)

The X Factor USA twitter account is still active despite the fact that show has been off the air for several years now... I wouldn't be surprised if this was just being used by Channel 9 as a means of promotion... I wouldn't read too much into it...

In 18 years of BB in 54 countries it's still very rare to see a country revive the show after a second cancellation or hiatus... I believe Germany is the only country so far to have hit that milestone... That said the last revival ran for only one series before it was axed...

As a side note I consider "Promi Big Brother" to be a separate and distinct format in Germany so when I referred to versions in that country it's only in terms of the civilian BB...
Celebrity Big Brother was actually axed three times by C4 and then revived twice by them and then by C5.

I don't think though it'll return to Australia unless another country revives it successfully with a "new" format. I don't think they're interested in giving the US/Canada format a go even though Survivor didn't turn out too bad for Ten.

Celebrity Big Brother was actually axed three times by C4 and then revived twice by them and then by C5.

I don't think though it'll return to Australia unless another country revives it successfully with a "new" format. I don't think they're interested in giving the US/Canada format a go even though Survivor didn't turn out too bad for Ten.

CBB really doesn't count as C4 continued to air some form of BB... BBUK was cancelled once...

So wait... when they wanted to get something into the DR in 2014 that they couldn't deliver via hatch, there was no second door into the room? The person literally just had to walk into the house (albeit at the very top the stairs) and hope that they were quiet enough and someone didn't happen to catch a glimpse of them?

GREAT PLANNING MAVROIDAKIS!

Nice find! The house looks pretty rundown but hey the bones are still standing. Although... did anyone see the sign in one of the camera runs "DANGER Demolition Work In Progress" ? :unsure:

bbau9-housein2017-demolitionsign.jpg

Someone posted this on the Big Brother Australia FB page:

'I've been told by security at dreamworld Big brother won't be returning as Dreamworld has sold the land Big brother is on. What shocking news.'

Yes, real shocking that they've sold the land for a show that was axed three years ago. And although a revival of any sort would be a surprise I actually think moving on from Dreamworld would do the show good if it were to come back.

Back