Skip to main content

Show your gift

double_oink_pork_rinds_commission_by_seane-d8p0kf1.jpg

Pencils by Glenn Fabry

"Make it schlocky!! Like a 1980's ad from a cheap magazine kinda schlocky!"

Those were the instructions from Brandon at ToastedCoconutMedia. So, throwing all sense of taste and decorum aside I knocked up the colours to this one...! Mind you it takes a bit of skill to make the page look like it's been torn out of a magazine with the edges, offset printing and general paper quality effects...

This is another in a continuing series of pictures I've been doing over the past 4 years or so for Toastedcoconut's (http://toastedcoconutmedia.com/) Award Winning "Anna Smudge: Professional Shrink" series. It's a series of books about the adventures of a bunch of kids and they're only up to book 3 overall, and there are 10 characters in total, all of whom get their own book, so this will be something that'll be ongoing for some time to come :)

(Janet the red elephant is sitting down reading a book when she hears the doorbell ring. Standing on the frontdoor step is her neighbour Luke, who is a blue not a red elephant. This shocks Janet.).

Janet: Luke.....

Luke: Yes, janet?

Janet: You're blue.

Luke: I know that. I do have mirrors you know at my house, and I do have eyes. I am aware that I am blue.

Janet: But why aren't you red?

Luke: I don't know! I mean when I went to bed last night I was a red elephant just like yourself. But when i woke up I pulled down my sheets and I was all blue all over. Who ever heard of a blue elephant?

Janet: Not me. But please come inside. Let's have a drink and talk about this.

(Luke goes inside Janet's house and sits down at the dinner table. Janet goes and makes some drinks for the both of them and sits dwn to discuss Luke's problem.)

Luke: I just want to know why me?

Janet: Why you what?

Luke: Why it was me that turned blue, and not any one else. You didn't turn blue.

Janet: Well that's true. But I am probably the only elephant you have seen today.

Luke: That's not true. I went down to the shops today. Got served by Marcus, and he was still a red elephant.

Janet: Did he say anything?

Luke: Well he did look at me strangely. So there is that.

Janet: Did he stare at you?

Luke: I guess.

Janet: Staring? How rude.

Luke: So rude. Anyway it was very uncomfortable for me.

Janet: Ok, I see Well I'm not sure why you were turned blue, but the fact remains that you are blue and there is nothing we can do about it.

Luke: I guess. I'm just worried about all the other elephants staring at me when i'm walking down the street. I know I could feel Marcus staring right at me this morning.

Janet: God, staring is rude.

Luke: So rude.

Janet: Anyway, what is the big deal if people stare? Let them.

Luke: But I'm afraid they might laugh at me.

Janet: For being a blue elephant instead of a red elephant? For not being like the rest of them? For being different? Who would want to hang out with people that think like that? I certainly wouldn't.

Luke: I guess you are right.

Janet: So why are you so worried?

Luke: I don't know. I guess it's because I've always had low self-esteem being a very clumsy elephant, and me turning blue seems like another thing people can laugh at me about. I always see them laughing at me. Their cuel dark eyes and their laughs. Oh god that laugh is so awful. Makes you feel worthless everytime you hear it, and I hear that laugh a lot.I hear it too much, Janet. It keeps me awake at night. I hate it.

Janet: I never knew you felt this way, Luke.

Luke: I guess I've been keeping that bottled up inside for a while.

Janet: Do you think you should see someone?

Luke: Like a doctor?

Janet: Yeah, a thinking doctor. One of those psychologists. They shouldn't be too hard to find,

Luke: How will that help me?

Janet: Well you can talk through your issues with him.

Luke: I suppose you are right. Thanks for the help.

Janet: That's ok. I just hate seeing you down.

Luke: Well you certainly have picked me right up!

Janet: My pleasure. Anyway I better be going as I have to go down to the shops.

Luke: Yeah, I've got some housework I need to finish back home.

Janet: Ok, well I'll see you soon I guess.

Luke: Yep. See ya, and thanks for today.

(Luke and Janet go to the door, they hug each other goodbye and Luke leaves glad to know that he has such a great friend in Janet to support him.).

Last night, I was struggling to fall asleep so I wrote a story rather appropriately titled 'Counting Sheep'.

The first sheep walked over to the fence. It turned its head, looked around nervously, and lifted one leg over, then the other, and then the other two. As it cleared the fence, it smiled to itself, its small tail wagging with self-pride.

The second, third, fourth and fifth sheep snickered and one by one ran up to the fence and without giving it at any thought leapt over it in one graceful motion.

The sixth sheep, slower and larger, stumbled heavily to the fence and tried to emulate the previous four but got stuck on top, half its body on either side.

Sheep seven and eight ran up behind number six and began to shove with tremendous effort until the large sheep eventually fell over the other side of the fence. It looked back with gratitude before waddling off, with seven and eight having to catch their breath before jumping over.

Nine jumped with ease, and ten did the same; eleven and twelve were scared to jump alone so did it as a team. Thirteen was sure something bad was going to happen, and it did, landing on a prickle on the other side of the fence.

Fourteen through twenty jumped over like pros, and twenty-one used a key to unlock the small gate in the fence, choosing to walk through instead of jumping. Twenty-two followed suit, as did twenty-three, twenty-four, twenty-five, twenty-six and twenty-seven, with the latter closing the gate because it thought it was being polite.

Twenty-eight was annoyed it had to jump, but did so anyway; twenty-nine wasn’t going to, but did so to impress thirty, who was strong and attractive and cleared the fence better than anyone so far.

Thirty-one figured the fence was a load of crap and recruited the next eight sheep to protest the entire event. They marched in circles carrying signs that read things like “Who Is Really In Charge Of The Fence?” and “The Grass Isn’t Always Greener On The Other Side!” Forty walked up and casually pointed out that the grass actually was greener and after a brief murmur they all rushed over the fence, their stomachs rumbling with hunger.

Forty-one picked up and threw forty-two over and forty-three did the same for forty-one. Forty-three looked to forty-four for a hand but was refused, reluctantly jumping over the fence, followed by forty-four and forty-five.

Forty-six flew over the fence in a jetpack. Forty-seven dug a deep hole and made its way up to the other side. Forty-eight simply pushed its body under the slats of the fence.

Forty-nine rode on the back of fifty. The fence itself jumped over fifty-one.

Fifty-two invented a teleport device and teleported itself and sheep up to fifty-nine to the other side.

The sixtieth sheep was large, about thirty feet tall. It rolled up to the fence and—oh, it’s made out of wood. A gift, perhaps, for the other side. The gate opened up and the large sheep rolled through, the gate closing behind. A few seconds passed before, oh my god, the bottom of the wooden sheep opened up, with forty sheep rushing out from inside.

Finally, I caught up. I leaned against the fence, lungs grasping for air. Looking over the other side, I saw the hundred sheep I mistakenly bought, running across the meadow. I lifted myself up over the fence, cursing the persuasiveness of the shepherd I had met a few hours prior.

:)

Last night, I was struggling to fall asleep so I wrote a story rather appropriately titled 'Counting Sheep'.

The first sheep walked over to the fence. It turned its head, looked around nervously, and lifted one leg over, then the other, and then the other two. As it cleared the fence, it smiled to itself, its small tail wagging with self-pride.

The second, third, fourth and fifth sheep snickered and one by one ran up to the fence and without giving it at any thought leapt over it in one graceful motion.

The sixth sheep, slower and larger, stumbled heavily to the fence and tried to emulate the previous four but got stuck on top, half its body on either side.

Sheep seven and eight ran up behind number six and began to shove with tremendous effort until the large sheep eventually fell over the other side of the fence. It looked back with gratitude before waddling off, with seven and eight having to catch their breath before jumping over.

Nine jumped with ease, and ten did the same; eleven and twelve were scared to jump alone so did it as a team. Thirteen was sure something bad was going to happen, and it did, landing on a prickle on the other side of the fence.

Fourteen through twenty jumped over like pros, and twenty-one used a key to unlock the small gate in the fence, choosing to walk through instead of jumping. Twenty-two followed suit, as did twenty-three, twenty-four, twenty-five, twenty-six and twenty-seven, with the latter closing the gate because it thought it was being polite.

Twenty-eight was annoyed it had to jump, but did so anyway; twenty-nine wasn’t going to, but did so to impress thirty, who was strong and attractive and cleared the fence better than anyone so far.

Thirty-one figured the fence was a load of crap and recruited the next eight sheep to protest the entire event. They marched in circles carrying signs that read things like “Who Is Really In Charge Of The Fence?” and “The Grass Isn’t Always Greener On The Other Side!” Forty walked up and casually pointed out that the grass actually was greener and after a brief murmur they all rushed over the fence, their stomachs rumbling with hunger.

Forty-one picked up and threw forty-two over and forty-three did the same for forty-one. Forty-three looked to forty-four for a hand but was refused, reluctantly jumping over the fence, followed by forty-four and forty-five.

Forty-six flew over the fence in a jetpack. Forty-seven dug a deep hole and made its way up to the other side. Forty-eight simply pushed its body under the slats of the fence.

Fifty-two invented a teleport device and teleported itself and sheep up to fifty-nine to the other side.

The sixtieth sheep was large, about thirty feet tall. It rolled up to the fence and—oh, it’s made out of wood. A gift, perhaps, for the other side. The gate opened up and the large sheep rolled through, the gate closing behind. A few seconds passed before, oh my god, the bottom of the wooden sheep opened up, with forty sheep rushing out from inside.

Finally, I caught up. I leaned against the fence, lungs grasping for air. Looking over the other side, I saw the hundred sheep I mistakenly bought, running across the meadow. I lifted myself up over the fence, cursing the persuasiveness of the shepherd I had met a few hours prior.

Ha ha, I enjoyed reading this. It brought a smile (especially the wooden one) :)

I first thought it might be 10, perhaps 20...but love the way it soon escalated to 100 with all that humanity!

Haha, love the spoiler tags. ;)

I actually went with the "standardised" number of men that were supposedly inside the Trojan Horse, which is 40. :)

Haha, love the spoiler tags. ;)

I actually went with the "standardised" number of men that were supposedly inside the Trojan Horse, which is 40. :)

Well they were 40 sheep of sorts. The bit that really made me smile was the polite expression you used for the sheep's ass :tongue:

Last edited by a moderator:
its more what I do to turn the brain off and relax ... I can't just sit and watch tv ... I have to be doing something else whilst sitting there

9002_675633255879161_7078392393420915942_n.jpg
Giraffes.jpg
tummy%20teddy_1.jpg
10553511_607741619334992_7582494838790935495_n.jpg
First%20Doll.jpg

1277232_448367565272399_941705618_o.jpg

mostly they end up being given away ... often when I'm making the animals it comes to me who should have it ... but some I just made and gave to the lady who was a carer to my Dad - to give to some of the other people she cared for

I'm not that keen on the dolls ... my favs are the cats ... especially the lime/raspberry combination

I also USED to dabble and muck around with animated sig tags for people

crimsonBurpy2.gif

but the novelty wore off on that ....

well actually that's not the whole story ... I became friends with a tutorial writer for tags like the one above - and she asked me to test her tutorials before she published them ... we became close over the 2 years I was doing that. She passed away after a pretty tough and fierce fight with cancer ... and any desire for me to play with it disappeared from me when she did .... and I can't get it back ...

This is brilliant! I loved this so very much. My favourite was the sheep protesting but still following suit anyways. And what clever sheep these were with engineering a teleportation device haha

@crimmy your skills with some string is amazing.
thanks Sweetgeek - not that great really - I follow patterns - if I was designing and making originals now THAT would be amazing.
Main thing is they end up with someone who loves them :) These cats went to my niece's daughters (greatnieces? well sure they are GREAT nieces ...) the lime green and raspberry kitty is my all time fav - but each one gains their own personality as I stitch their faces on ...
the elephant went over to WI for an online friends grandson

Prezzies2.jpg

its more what I do to turn the brain off and relax ... I can't just sit and watch tv ... I have to be doing something else whilst sitting there

9002_675633255879161_7078392393420915942_n.jpg
Giraffes.jpg
tummy%20teddy_1.jpg
10553511_607741619334992_7582494838790935495_n.jpg
First%20Doll.jpg

1277232_448367565272399_941705618_o.jpg

mostly they end up being given away ... often when I'm making the animals it comes to me who should have it ... but some I just made and gave to the lady who was a carer to my Dad - to give to some of the other people she cared for

I'm not that keen on the dolls ... my favs are the cats ... especially the lime/raspberry combination

I also USED to dabble and muck around with animated sig tags for people

crimsonBurpy2.gif

but the novelty wore off on that ....

well actually that's not the whole story ... I became friends with a tutorial writer for tags like the one above - and she asked me to test her tutorials before she published them ... we became close over the 2 years I was doing that. She passed away after a pretty tough and fierce fight with cancer ... and any desire for me to play with it disappeared from me when she did .... and I can't get it back ...

They are so cute! I love them!

“Why?”

This whispered cry, barely audible to even the young man saying it himself, left his cracked lips that were about to bleed and disappeared into the air never to be heard again. He was all alone. Lying next to a tall river oak tree with its fine grey-greenish needle like leaves smelling so fresh, and harsh oak bark that was rough to the touch, this young man, who went by the name of Simon, was dying. Dying all alone from a gunshot wound in his stomach. Slowly bleeding out onto his black shirt with no one around to hear or to see his pain. He was running out of breath, drifting in and out of consciousness. Simon, who could barely breathe let alone scream out for help, realised that it was useless to even try to yell for he knew that there was no one around for miles. All that was out there in the vast fields, all that Simon could see, was miles and miles of grass, tall green grass as far as the eyes could see. He could not call for help on his mobile, even if he had the strength to do so, as his smart phone was still in his car which was parked about half an hours walk from where he was.

Simon winced as he moved his back slightly against the oak tree, his curly black hair brushing against the dense bark. He knew that he was going to die soon. It was a matter of when not if for him. The only thing he could hope for was that the end would be quick. But he had been lying against the tree for what had seemed like ages. His murderer had long ago fled from the scene. It was only Simon here, with only the rushing sound of the muddy river filled with fishes and ducks, and the ants crawling next to his hands to keep him company. Simon laid his light green eyes on the group of ants that were coming very close to his hands. He watched them move about on the pile of brown dirt and fallen green foliage. There seemed to be hundreds of them. All small and black and scurrying about everywhere. It seemed to Simon as though they were searching for food, but being not an expert in the behaviours of ants he could not be sure of his observation. Suddenly, without warning, one of the ants changed direction and started to walk on Simon’s hands. He could feel the small black ant scurry across his hand. Although it was not painful, it felt itchy and annoying. He desperately wanted to move his hand, but he was too weak to do even that. All he could hope for was that the ant would crawl off his hand and leave him alone. He winced in anguish as the ant continued to circle his hand. He wanted to flick the ant off. He hated this feeling of helplessness that he was in. Him, a young man, at the mercy of one tiny ant? Finally, after what seemed like ages, the ant finally left his hand. Simon sighed for he knew that he would not have been able to cope with the insect on his hand for much longer.

Simon closed his eyes, for he was feeling tired, and thought back to what lead him here, to why he was sitting with his back against the oak tree listening to the sounds of the river and seeing the lush green grass as he lay dying from a bullet wound. This had all started with a telephone call one Sunday evening. He was busy making dinner for himself, preparing the sauce to go with the pasta, making sure he had everything set to go and that everything was clean, when his mobile phone rang. Rushing out of the kitchen he grabbed his phone off the dining room table and picked it up.

“Simon?” said a voice, distant but unmistakeably that of a woman.

“Yes, I’m Simon.”

“Good. Listen we haven’t got much time. Meet me tomorrow about ten AM?”

“I’m sorry, but who are you, and how did you get this number?” queried Simon, feeling very suspicious about this mysterious woman.

“It doesn’t matter how I got this. I’ve heard you have been looking for answers about your uncle’s death. Well meet me tomorrow down by that big oak tree next to the Quastery river if you want to find out more.”

She then abruptly hung up. Simon looked at his phone and wondered whether to believe her. It was true that he had been asking a lot of questions about the death of his uncle Jack. Simon was only young when Jack had died, the official version had been suicide, but Jack’s wife Susan had been adamant that that was not the case. She died from cancer a month or two ago, still believing in her heart that her husband did not commit suicide. Susan had made Simon promise, who helped to look after her as she lay in bed at home waiting to die, to look into the death of her husband and his uncle. At first Simon had refused, not prepared to dig up unpleasant memories. However his own curiosity about what happened to his uncle, combined with the pleading eyes of his frail dying aunt meant that Simon quickly changed his mind and agreed to look for answers. At first it was hard going, people that Simon needed to speak to were either dead or couldn’t remember what had happened. All the files related to the death of his uncle had mysteriously disappeared. Simon was feeling increasingly frustrated with the lack of progress when the phone had rung that Sunday evening with the elusive lady at the other end of the line giving him some hope that he would get the answers that he was looking for. This was the big break that he had been searching for after all this time, after days of fruitless searching and answers of “I don’t know” from so many people. He was sick of it, and he felt inclined to meet her so that he could finally have some closure. But there was one thought, a small nagging thought at the back of his mind, that it was not wise to trust strangers. That this woman, who, from the way she sounded on the phone, was a complete stranger to him. Should he trust her?

Simon was still mulling this thought over in his head as he went to sleep that night. It was a very uncomfortable sleep for him as he struggled to make a decision. It wasn’t until morning, when he was getting his toast out of the toaster that he decided that he would meet this young lady. He knew that it would probably be a risk, but he also thought about his uncle Jack and his aunt Susan and decided that they would want him to find out some answers. He owed them the truth.

So Simon, after locking his house, went to his car and drove off to the meeting place. Quasterly river was not far from where he lived. It was only a fifteen minute drive. Simon, although busy driving, did notice the beautiful scenery around him. The line of trees with their leaves so full and green, the cows munching happily away in the paddock, the sun shining brightly in the clear blue sky, and the smell of the country side through his open car window. Soon Simon had reached the river. He stopped and parked his car by the side of the road and climbed the big brown wooden fence, ignoring the sign that said ‘trespassers prosecuted’. He still had a long way to walk if he was ever going to reach that oak tree. A good half an hour or so he thought, and that what it took. The grass was wet from the rain the night before, and the sun felt hot on his neck as he made his way through the various gates and around the many mud puddles. Before he knew it Simon had reached the oak tree. But he could not see the woman. He saw the oak tree, and he could see the river with the ducks swimming about, but there was no sign of the person he was about to meet. Simon slowly made his way towards the tree. He then felt a tap on his shoulder.

“Hey.” He shouted in a startled manner.

He turned around and saw this young woman, aged in her twenties with long blonde hair and green eyes wearing a leather jacket and holding a gun. Her face was twisted into a snarl like some sort of angry demon as she raised the gun and pointed it straight at Simon.

“What are you…”

But Simon never finished that sentence. She shot him right in the chest. Simon looked at her with shock, his eyes pleading with her. But she just looked at him with her cold green eyes and turned away. Then he struggled backwards and slumped against the oak tree. He tried to stop the bleeding but it was no use. Simon had watched helplessly as his murder tossed the gun in the river and went through the gate that Simon had just come through moments ago. Soon she was out of sight and Simon was there all alone. All by himself to regret the choices that he had made. Why had he come out here all on his own? Clearly he was an idiot, and he had paid his price for his stupidity. It was all of this that had contributed to Simon’s impending death: the death of his uncle, the investigation of his death, the phone call, and Simon’s decision to go to meet this lady by himself.

Simon opened his eyes slowly. He had heard a noise, over by the long green grass. Was someone here at last coming to rescue him? Was he finally going to get out of this mess and into a hospital where his life could be saved? He did not want to die. Simon still had so many things he wanted to do. He wanted to sail around the world, to explore the stars, to swim to the deepest part of the ocean, and to laugh like he had never laughed before. It was not fair that he was not going to be able to do those things, it didn’t feel right. Simon felt very angry at this, he felt mad at his murderer for killing him. And for what? Why did she do that? He was no harm to her, he was no harm to anybody. All he wanted was some simple answers to some simple questions. But no one was giving him any straight answers, and now she had taken advantage of that fact and lured Simon into this remote area where she shot him. It made him feel so stupid. Like a real idiot. And now he had to lay down here and die. By his estimation it had been about a couple of hours since he had been shot. He had hoped for a miracle, for there to be someone to rescue him. There was no one. It was just the wind that Simon had heard. There was no one coming for him, there would be no rescue. He was going to die beside the river, he was going to do that very soon. Simon was just waiting for the end.

Back