Skip to main content

Shameless on SBS

I highlighted one notable absence there, but can't believe I missed another - and unfortunately, today it's been confirmed they've left.
Debbie is leaving Shameless. Such a shame - she'd kind of become the lynchpin of the show and the last series put her into a position where Fiona was the first series. It survived the loss of Fiona and Steve, Kev and Veronica and a few others, but I think Debbie leaving might have the biggest impact of them all. If it is to continue beyond the next series, I think the only option is to bring in a new family as the leading characters and axe the Gallaghers completely, allowing the show to regenerate Skins style. Otherwise bring it to an end before it's too late - seven series is a fantastic run nowadays for a UK drama, especially on C4.

Series 8 is now confirmed, running for 22 episodes, up from the usual 16. Indeed series 7 was initially slashed to eight episodes but C4 had second thoughts and doubled it to 16.

Personally I'm not so sure about this - I'd have been quite happy for them to bring the series to an end in the next couple of years, especially as most of the core characters have moved on. To sustain an eighth series they definately need to bring in a new family like they bought in the Maguires a few years ago - and to be honest I think it would be best if the Gallaghers were axed completely, rather than just having a couple of them sticking around, and a brand new family became the central characters.

Series 8 is now confirmed, running for 22 episodes, up from the usual 16. Indeed series 7 was initially slashed to eight episodes but C4 had second thoughts and doubled it to 16.

Personally I'm not so sure about this - I'd have been quite happy for them to bring the series to an end in the next couple of years, especially as most of the core characters have moved on. To sustain an eighth series they definately need to bring in a new family like they bought in the Maguires a few years ago - and to be honest I think it would be best if the Gallaghers were axed completely, rather than just having a couple of them sticking around, and a brand new family became the central characters.

Thanks for the update.. looking forward to the new series.

Anyone watching the American series? TBH I tired watching the British series but really couldn't get in to it...

The British version really tailed off towards the end - in the last couple of series only the 100th episode and finale were even close to what the series was.

The US version though is a brilliant remake and it's really interesting to see it go a different route considering they've locked the main cast in for multiple series, so aren't having to deal with actors leaving. More4 is a year behind over here but it's one of those series where it's actually worth waiting for it to air on TV rather than rushing to download it. Sometimes TV is more gratifying that way.

Back