Skip to main content

RIP Philip Hughes

I have never watched cricket game. But here in Europe I'm reading a lot about his death and I must say that I have no words to explain my feeling reading about his death and all other things connected with it. So sad.

Rest in peace, Phillip Hughes.

Like many other people, the death of Phillip Hughes was shocking to me. A healthy young man dead because of some freak accident. It just doesn't make sense. His mates have lost a friend. His family has lost a relative. A mother and father have lost their son. Although I can never fully understand what they are going though, my heart aches for them.

Phillip was only six months younger than me, so his death has made me think hard about my mortality. Any day I could die, and to tell you the truth that scares me. I almost died after I was born and I spent six months in a Melbourne hospital after being flown from Tasmania. Even though I can't remember it, the knowledge that I could have died before experiencing the joys of life fills me with dread. I'm afraid of death. I know that sounds silly, but it's true. I don't seem to react well to death. I don't cry, I don't do any grieving. I try to forget about it. I don't know why I do it.

Recently I have been thinking of the phrase 'carpe diem' or 'sieze the day'. The death of Phillip Hughes has not only made me think of my own mortality, but it makes me think that we should always make the most of today because there might be no tomorrow. I think Phillip Hughes embodied this saying through his hard work and determination to be better each day. No matter the setbacks he still trained and practiced hard so that he could become a better cricketer. I think that should inspire us all to seize the day. I want to be better. We all want to be better, but far of failure stops us. We all stumble, it is how we pick ourselves up that define us.

Rest in peace, Phillip Hughes.

I'm still going to have to disagree @Trala
The intent of a boucer to to hit the batsmen in the face with a ball going 150km/hr.
At top level cricket, that's akin to trying to kill someone.

It really agitates me when people call this a "freak accident".
It wasn't an accident at all. The bowler achieved exactly what he was trying to achieve.
His delivery was a "textbook" perfect bouncer. Sharply rising with unexpected pace with spot on perfect accuracy.
Is nobody else at all disturbed by the fact that a "perfect" delivery in this sport results in someone's death???

Dennis Lily and Jeff Thompson were vicious. Where many Aussies feel pride in the way they played, I instead feel ashamed.
Everyone is so desensitized to it these days that they think it's perfectly acceptable and just part of the game.

It doesn't have to be!!

I hope you are taking the piss because you have no idea what your talking about. The intention of the bowler was not to hit him in the head it was to get him out or set him up for the following deliveries. It is widely known that Phillip was not the greatest player of the shorter delivery and it also gets the player thinking that the next ball could be short and they might not get their footwork right for the fuller more likely wicket taking balls. Anyone with any kind of knowledge of the game knows this. Secondly Abbott is not 150k.... not even close and they were mates for years and if you saw the care he took for him on the field you would have realized this...

Your a goose.

I hope you are taking the piss because you have no idea what your talking about. The intention of the bowler was not to hit him in the head it was to get him out or set him up for the following deliveries. It is widely known that Phillip was not the greatest player of the shorter delivery and it also gets the player thinking that the next ball could be short and they might not get their footwork right for the fuller more likely wicket taking balls. Anyone with any kind of knowledge of the game knows this. Secondly Abbott is not 150k.... not even close and they were mates for years and if you saw the care he took for him on the field you would have realized this...

Your a goose.

This attitude is exactly what I'm talking about.
Like I said. People are completely desensitized to it.

I played cricket for many years. Opening bat actually. Had my fair share of bouncers aimed at me.... by good mates.

The point of the bouncer is fear. To keep the batsmen on the back foot so that they are out of position when the bowler bowls a fuller length delivery. The point is to hit the body or the head. It's that simple.
Just because people are mates doesn't alter that fact.

I never said Abbott was 150k. I was making a general observation about the top levels of cricket.

I can never seem to get my point across on this topic. It's like people are blind to the obvious.

The intent of the bowler is not to kill the batsman. That is not what I am saying.

The intent of the bowler is to hit the batman.
However, along with that intent comes the undeniable truth that one day someone is going to die from it.

This attitude is exactly what I'm talking about.
Like I said. People are completely desensitized to it.

I played cricket for many years. Opening bat actually. Had my fair share of bouncers aimed at me.... by good mates.

The point of the bouncer is fear. To keep the batsmen on the back foot so that they are out of position when the bowler bowls a fuller length delivery. The point is to hit the body or the head. It's that simple.
Just because people are mates doesn't alter that fact.

I never said Abbott was 150k. I was making a general observation about the top levels of cricket.

I can never seem to get my point across on this topic. It's like people are blind to the obvious.

The intent of the bowler is not to kill the batsman. That is not what I am saying.

The intent of the bowler is to hit the batman.
However, along with that intent comes the undeniable truth that one day someone is going to die from it.

You keep saying a bowler goes out to hit someone in the head chest etc. That is a crock of shit. It is not blind to the obvious because it's so far off the mark. It's an intimidation and wicket taking delivery.

Give it a rest now, eh? A beautiful young life has been faded to black and you want to stuff up this thread. Go to the fight club.

Back