Skip to main content

RIP Philip Hughes

Probably not the best place to mention it being a condolence thread and all but I was very confused in the beginning when all the reports were saying he was hit by a bouncer. I thought they meant an actual bouncer from like a club. Did not realise it was a move and that they meant a ball.
Ha!

I'm still fighting back the tears on hearing this devastating news. Such a young, talented young man taken doing something he loved. I cannot imagine what his family, friends and all who were lucky enough to play with/against him are going through. My heart is also breaking for Sean Abbott and what he must be going through. I'm glad he has the love and support from everyone to help him.

shocked to hear the news while I was watching the AFL Draft. They sent a message at the top of the event. Hughes a fine player all the protective gear still can't prevent an accident. My thoughts to all family and to Sean Abbott

they said this afternoon it wouldnt have made any difference to the outcome. RIP Phillip Hughes

It's hard. I search in my mind what could have made a difference to the outcome? And at the end of the day, I don't think anything could've. There is no way on Earth either Phillip or Sean could've done anything to change the outcome. It was not intentional or could either person take any responsibility. Life is so fickle and brief.

I've seen my brother play cricket many times but you don't expect someone to put their cricket clothes on one morning and never come home again...so sending out all my loving vibes to Phil's family...bye Phil, sleep a beautiful one.

First, let me just say that this is very tragic. My heart goes out to Phil's loved ones.

But, and trying not to sound insensitive, it was eventually going to happen.
The sole intention of a bouncer is to aim at the batsmen's head. To intimidate the batsman with the danger of bodily harm.
It is hands down the worst aspect of the game of cricket.
I've always thought this outrage over sledging and racism in cricket was utterly ridiculous when one considers that fast bowlers deliberately try to cause the batsmen physical bodily harm once or twice an over.

I have always said this. And I have always been ridiculed for my opinion.
And now the worst has actually happened, and I so so wish I had of been wrong.

First, let me just say that this is very tragic. My heart goes out to Phil's loved ones.

But, and trying not to sound insensitive, it was eventually going to happen.
The sole intention of a bouncer is to aim at the batsmen's head. To intimidate the batsman with the danger of bodily harm.
It is hands down the worst aspect of the game of cricket.
I've always thought this outrage over sledging and racism in cricket was utterly ridiculous when one considers that fast bowlers deliberately try to cause the batsmen physical bodily harm once or twice an over.

I have always said this. And I have always been ridiculed for my opinion.
And now the worst has actually happened, and I so so wish I had of been wrong.
And I wont be smart, your logic in infallible.

Yes, Batsmen should now wear a helmet tested to make SURE this cannot happen. The ICC will not change the headhunter rule (Id hope they might) but I am very doubtful. Mainly now that the IPL has Raped cricket the win at all costs is now paramount.

I do see a lot of "soccer mums" maybe saying um...fuck that!

I don't even know why I'm surprised by the media but their ruthlessness sickens me. I find all these photos of Sean Abbott leaving the hospital visibly upset and the immediate reactions from his team mates very distasteful and disrespectful. Are people actually interested in seeing other people grieving? Obviously people are hurting, do we really need pictures to tell us! I try to avoid looking at these kinds of things but tonight Facebook and Twitter have been flooded with images. I should know that they pull these stunts all the time but I just felt the need to vent my disgust. Am I just over sensitive or do others feel the same way?

I don't even know why I'm surprised by the media but their ruthlessness sickens me. I find all these photos of Sean Abbott leaving the hospital visibly upset and the immediate reactions from his team mates very distasteful and disrespectful. Are people actually interested in seeing other people grieving? Obviously people are hurting, do we really need pictures to tell us! I try to avoid looking at these kinds of things but tonight Facebook and Twitter have been flooded with images. I should know that they pull these stunts all the time but I just felt the need to vent my disgust. Am I just over sensitive or do others feel the same way?
I get where you are at friend but if it leads to greater protection ...yep?

No, you are fine with me. I was reading what I thought was an innocent article, until I saw a photo of cricket players in incredible distress holding onto Phillip awaiting emergency services. Why did anyone need to see that? As if they weren't going to be traumatized enough. Leave them alone

Back