Skip to main content

Religious (or not) affiliation

I think so @Kismet, which is not the case, I just can't believe in him fully without some proof. I just bring up Thomas all the time if she gets confused. She gets Thomas! ;)

Hey, as an atheist I don't hate any god model out there either, just as I don't hate unicorns; in fact, I find mythology and all characters therein, fascinating.

Has your mum read the Gospel of Thomas? I won't ask if you have as you are agnostic. ;) (that was a theistic joke re you,btw):p

Does anyone observe and follow the procedures, protocols, call them what you will, for the Easter period, including Lent, or whatever observances there are in your particular faith?

...I a was 'Church of England' lad when I was young... I was even an 'altar boy' for a few months believe it or not until I was thrown out of the gig for doing a naughty thing during a mass!... I abandoned religion not too long after that... I am not religious at all now but for some reason I call out God's name during sex... does that count as me still being a Christian?... cheers.

Does anyone observe and follow the procedures, protocols, call them what you will, for the Easter period, including Lent, or whatever observances there are in your particular faith?
My parents are good strong law abiding catholics, as children, and teenagers, we kids HAD to go to church each Sunday, and we said the rosary at home, mum and dad go to church about 5 days a week now, and pray at home all the time. Much to my parents disappointment, I do not go to church, I stopped when I left home at 21. From 17-21 i would pretend I went to church each sat night, just to keep the peace. I do believe in god, but I do not believe you have to go to church to be a good person. I practice that without going to church. In saying that, and answering your question, I still wont eat meat on Ash wednesday and Good friday, more out of guilt, as I think it is silly really

Yeah I still do mainly because family and faith are so intertwined with me. Easters a big event for us and I spend the weekend with the family. Tonight we'll do Mass then back to my sisters place for last supper feast before having to fast friday and most of saturday (which nearly kills me). Stations of the Cross and the Passion on Friday, Vigil on Saturday and finally Mass on Sunday morning followed by our Easter feast.

Same as consuela for me. I did lent this year, no meat at all. I am actually really excited for the BBQ this Sunday.

As I was touching on the OT thread I'm finding this period highly exhausting. For a heathen I sure am engrossed in religious holidays over the next few weeks with regular easter, passover and then orthodox easter.

Traditions I am observing currently include:
post-34672-fuck-it-all-fuck-it-all-gif-Le-RQ2i.gif

I am not Catholic so don't do the Lent thing or have Mass etc. I won't be going to my church (Salvation Army) tomorrow as I am working. I might go on Sunday morning though.

Yeah I still do mainly because family and faith are so intertwined with me. Easters a big event for us and I spend the weekend with the family. Tonight we'll do Mass then back to my sisters place for last supper feast before having to fast friday and most of saturday (which nearly kills me). Stations of the Cross and the Passion on Friday, Vigil on Saturday and finally Mass on Sunday morning followed by our Easter feast.
A huge weekend. Why do you have to fast for Friday and Saturday? Who decides whose feet are washed? I wonder whose feet the Pope will choose.

No religious affiliation here, but my family have always eaten fish but no red meat on Good Friday. I love fish anyway so it's hardly a problem. Travelling for six hours so it will probably just take the form of tuna sandwiches this time, and no stops at Maccas or KFC.

No religious affiliation here, but my family have always eaten fish but no red meat on Good Friday. I love fish anyway so it's hardly a problem. Travelling for six hours so it will probably just take the form of tuna sandwiches this time, and no stops at Maccas or KFC.

My mum gets "randomly religious" as I like to put it around Easter time, and she too doesn't eat red meat on Good Friday and insists that I don't either. Of course I take that as a cue to eat as much red meat as possible, and even one year had a Good Friday Barbecue just to really drive the point home.

I don't do the red meat thing on Good Friday because I feel a bit odd if I do. I'm working until 11pm so I have to take lunch and dinner to work. Tuna casserole probably.

Mr Stickyfingers said:
I was even an 'altar boy' for a few months believe it or not until I was thrown out of the gig for doing a naughty thing during a mass!

I'm intrigued!

...I was about 10years old methinks... maybe even younger... (I can't really remember to be honest... if my mum and dad were still here they could tell you for sure)... I was at a small School in the east end of London that had a little Church adjoining the School that I was in... I was a good little kid at the time... (but not long after I became a little thief and a horrible little mongrel child)... at one particular time I was made the altar boy that swings the thingamajigga that holds the incense suspended by chains... it was my job to swing it gently from side to side and then this way and that way etc...

...unfortunately I was also known to never turn down a 'dare'... well... my so-called 'friends' dared me to swing it harder and harder and then to let it go down the center aisle before we got to the altar... not wanting to be known as a 'liar-liar-pants-on-fire' because I always bragged that I would never turn down a 'dare'... I did it... I was supposed to make it look like an accident but I let the 'dare' rush into my veins and went for it... as I let it go it was like letting go of a bowling ball... it rolled down the aisle and went all over the place... it was such a mess...

...needless to say... I was in deep shit after that...my mother gave me a hiding to remember when we got home lol!... (you could hit kids then)... I'm glad that she did it because my dad would've got his belt out... (you could also do that too back then )... and was grounded for what seemed like an eternity... (again I'm not too sure how long... probably a couple of weeks)... and needless to say... I wasn't an 'altar boy' from that day onwards... true story!... cheers.

A huge weekend. Why do you have to fast for Friday and Saturday? Who decides whose feet are washed? I wonder whose feet the Pope will choose.

To be honest I thought all Catholics had to fast on Good Friday which I think technically means only one meal after dark. We've just always gone one step further and abstained completely. I don't think many Catholics fast on Holy Saturday anymore as it's not required but the adults in our family still do, the kids however are allowed to have torrijas for breakfast, then we'll break our fast with light meal of garlic soup and bread around 3pm.

As for the feet washing I'm pretty sure the Pope's washing some prisoners feet again.

Haha so funny @Mr Stickyfingers I did lol a bit at the visual of that. I swear you could write a book about all of your antics up to date.

...lol!... perhaps not after that moment onwards... soon after that I was recruited into a gang of thieves and did quite a lot of naughty and bad things that I would be best not to write down lol!... (I might incriminate myself lol!)... I was not a very nice person at all after that time until we emigrated to Australia when I was about to turn 14... (I turned 14 just 6 days after we arrived as 10 pound immigrants)...

...I became a nicer person further into my teens as I was away from that environment... if I stayed I would have eventually ended up in prison like most of my fellow gang members eventually did... (2 of them were eventually murdered by rivals I found out when I went back there on our honeymoon 26 years ago!)... living in a slum area in the East End of London was not a good thing for any kid back in the early 60's believe me...

...the irony of the whole thing was... I was the only member of the gang that never got caught by the Police or anyone while committing any crime and yet I got transported to Australia!... lol!... (my parents were totally unaware of my antics when they made the decision to emigrate to here... I was that good a liar and a thief that they never knew!)... a friend of my mother came over on a holiday about 15 years ago and told my parents all about me!... she dobbed me right into it!... so it all came back to bite me in the bum in the end lol!... another true story!... cheers.

Back