Skip to main content

Pre-recorded BB. Will you watch?

freddy

I have seen every Australian series of BB. The last shows, on channel 9, were recorded during the day and then shown at night. By definition, yes, that's pre-recorded. But, the housemates were still in the house whilst this was happening and there were opportunities to cross live to the house, etc. For this series, on channel 7, the show will be 100% pre-recorded. Filming has ended. It won't be live. As we watch, there will be no housemates currently in the house. There will be no opportunities to cross live. For me, it just won't be the same.

I hear / read the housemates in this series will be doing challenges, and, based on winning or losing those they will be voting each other out, each week. The eventual winner will be decided by the public from the last remaining housemates. Whilst that is fine, and is more like the strategic BB series that happen overseas, I still feel something will be lost from not having any of those things happen live, as we watch. I really enjoyed watching a live nomination night, an eviction night, an "Up Late", or a Friday Night Games, all with the ability to jump live to the house to get opinions and feelings etc from the housemates. We, the viewing public, could jump on to this forum during or after the show to passionately debate the outcomes, right after everything had just happened. I am sure discussions on this forum will still happen after each airing of the pre-recorded show, but I feel something will be lost. Talking about something that was pre-recorded weeks earlier, just won't be the same as talking about something that happened literally a few hours ago. It won't have the same "punch" to it.

Given that this series has been pre-recorded, I am debating in my mind about whether I should bother to watch this one, or not.

Is anybody else thinking about it this way too?

Last edited:
I think yes, I would have preferred the show to be live. But I think once the show starts no one will even worry about it, cause it will feel as though it’s recent and you can still connect to it.

I’ve watched shows from three years ago and still feel as though they have happened recently and I can still connect to them cause they are events that have actually happened. Even watching back older seasons of bb, maybe cause I didn’t watch at the time, but I have to remind myself that shit this was actually happening 14 years ago or whatever.

I don't even have access to television channels anymore, so nope.

I don't find the format interesting and if I wanted to watch something that was pre-recorded, there are much better reality shows that I find more interesting than a pre-recorded Big Brother series (from Australia)

An interesting element with pre-recorded reality is that contestants might potentially do press for reputation management while their experience on the show is still airing?

In previous seasons housemates couldn't justify their behaviour to the press or fans until their experience was over.

I think this could actually impact how the show discussed among viewers and in the media.

Hmmm, there are some interesting and varied responses here. I agree with each and every one, including the fact that asking the question in this forum is probably redundant.

I think I probably will end up watching, purely because I enjoy BB, and, as Gayspie said, any BB is better than no BB.

Reactions: kxk
Everyone is missing one key element. The fact that Australian Big Brother never really lived up to its potential. Whether it was sponsorship deals of programming alone the experiment of locking people up away from the rest of the world for 12 plus weeks was never fully realised. I always felt it was a missed opportunity. A chance to really test people's mettle to stay sane while by being dictated to all day every day by an all knowing all seeing unseen entity.

Factor in the current social media landscape people could really have been "tested" this season. instead we re getting even less than the original.

Given the way technology has changed since the first show I would also be excited have some kind of feed connected directly to the house. Realistically we all know this would never happen especially after the Turkey Slap incident but hey I can dream can't I?

Given the way technology has changed since the first show I would also be excited have some kind of feed connected directly to the house. Realistically we all know this would never happen especially after the Turkey Slap incident but hey I can dream can't I?
Yes, well I have always said that social media (Twitter in particular) would have revolutionised the show had it existed in the day of the original run. Nine excised what was probably the best feature of Big Brother - the live feeds - and that was likely because of things like the turkey slap incident. They could then erase anything they wanted from ever having happened, and now Seven takes it a step further by not airing the live, giving them the opportunity to construct whatever "reality" they want. RIP Big Brother.

Realistically we all know this would never happen especially after the Turkey Slap incident but hey I can dream can't I?

Realistically I think we’ve moved past a point where potential HM’s would “turkey slap” or anything remotely similar. It also shouldn’t be the sole reason to justify bastardizing the format.

Realistically I think we’ve moved past a point where potential HM’s would “turkey slap” or anything remotely similar. It also shouldn’t be the sole reason to justify bastardizing the format.
Yes I think the contestants would be media savvy enough now not to misbehave, but TV execs are not renowned for their "risk taking".

Let's be real, what killed the live feeds was whatever happened between Justynn and Ed.

However, as revealed by this very site:

đŸ€”

But maybe this site is in on the conspiracy. :wideyed:

;)

And on-topic, I'll give it a go (probably via 7plus) but my expectations are low.

I wasn't sure it was ever going to happen again, and then when I found out it was, I wasn't overly excited since it was pre-recorded, BUT, the closer it's getting, the more excited I'm getting. I've managed to find so much more reality TV to watch in it's absence, BB was the beginning of my reality TV watching - at least it lured me away from Jerry Springer! 😂

A little perspective...if Seven had planned on a live series, it would have not gone ahead in the current climate. Incidentally, a prerecorded series is the best we could have hoped for this year.

Also, if the format doesn't work, what's to stop Seven from pivoting back to a live format next year?

I just don't see the point in moaning about what you can't control. BB is back against all odds, and while it's different, it's a little premature to write it off entirely (and I say this as someone who is partial to the live format).

However, as revealed by this very site:

đŸ€”

But maybe this site is in on the conspiracy. :wideyed:

I seem to recall there being a later update that he'd said that as part of an NDA that was signed.

Back