Skip to main content

Network Ten exec wishes they kept BB

bleachy_dude

Awesome site donor
Hamish McLennan who has been in charge at TEN for the last 7 months says:

We’ve got some formats that have been around for many years. A lot of them are good franchises, but we just need to start making better choices around what works. I think what pains me is … this is the network that invented Big Brother, had X Factor in its first year and launched Australian Idol and I think we let those franchises go and we were too quick to dismiss them and then move on to other things. So it’s going to be a return to shows or brands that will work for us. Reality-style programing does work very well on this network, we just need more time to do more of it and get focussed on what works.

---

In much the same way, the success – if I go back five or six years – of Channel Ten was driven around multiple programmes like Australian Idol or Big Brother. So we just have to back ourselves on those new formats that come up. And then what I’d like, just as a bit of insurance, is to have a portfolio of shows that are quite diverse that we can rely on and not just rely on one or two formats that happen to pop at any given time.
Source: www.businessspectator.com.au/article/2013/11/11/media-and-digital/kgb-ten-networks-hamish-mclennan

Now I have often said that TEN wouldn't be interested in taking it back, seems as though I was wrong.
No chance of NINE letting it go any time soon but I need to publicly apologise to those I shot down when they speculated that ten would take BB back. :eek:

Hmm... Interesting. I wonder if the show would have been better or worse on Channel 10 if it aired today.

Yeah I have heard a few things here and there suggesting that they would be open to having it back were it a possibility. I suppose the way things are with Channel 10 at the moment they'd take whatever they can get. It would suck to see shows that started out on your network proving to be ratings juggernauts on another. But realistically they made the right choice to cancel BB, that's for sure.

Channel 10 getting it back on air in the older format is the stuff of dreams. Imagine if Peter Abbott came back on board as well!

Interesting. I think 9 have the right idea with the type of housemates they are casting - even last year's nasty bunch of housemates were way better than some earlier seasons of BB. But us BB purists need a live feed so we can be harshly judgemental in an informed way :)

I also doubt 9 would give it back to 10 at this stage. It's nowhere near where it was in it's heyday, but it's working well in a significantly trimmed way.

Its interesting though BB has been going for 12 years, Such a length of time many younger viewers likely never really saw the earlier years. Imagine your 19 now you were only 7 for BB01, unlikely you watched BB and could appreciate it as you could as an adult now.
People of my ripe age of 36 can appreciate BB then and now, i was 24 when BB01 aired on 24/4/2001.
So i think its heyday can be relived through the novelty to the younger, and often bulk of the viewers who didnt know the early years.

Interesting. I think there would be more shows of bb on channel 10. But I like the casting choice by channel 9. They won't give it up, so I think the idea of bb going back to channel 10 just won't happen

Its interesting though BB has been going for 12 years, Such a length of time many younger viewers likely never really saw the earlier years. Imagine your 19 now you were only 7 for BB01, unlikely you watched BB and could appreciate it as you could as an adult now.
People of my ripe age of 36 can appreciate BB then and now, i was 24 when BB01 aired on 24/4/2001.
So i think its heyday can be relived through the novelty to the younger, and often bulk of the viewers who didnt know the early years.
While for the most part you are somewhat correct in saying that, you'd also be surprised with the amount of young people who do remember it in it's "heyday" still. If not the early seasons, then at least the later ones.

Hmm... Interesting. I wonder if the show would have been better or worse on Channel 10 if it aired today.
Better. Definitely better.

For one thing, the scheduling and content from the house would be extremely consistent. That's a given. Among other things.

But if it's ever gonna happen again it'll be in another ten years or so after another BB "hiatus" off the air. In the meantime, we can only imagine...

While for the most part you are somewhat correct in saying that, you'd also be surprised with the amount of young people who do remember it in it's "heyday" still. If not the early seasons, then at least the later ones.

Yep. I know you were a very young fan.

I was 16 when it started. 16 year old fans today were 3 or 4 when it started. Wowsers.

Yeah I have heard a few things here and there suggesting that they would be open to having it back were it a possibility. I suppose the way things are with Channel 10 at the moment they'd take whatever they can get. It would suck to see shows that started out on your network proving to be ratings juggernauts on another. But realistically they made the right choice to cancel BB, that's for sure.

Channel 10 getting it back on air in the older format is the stuff of dreams. Imagine if Peter Abbott came back on board as well!

Imagine if social media was at the same stage back then as it is today!!!! Live feeds, turkey slapping... I watched a vid the other day of Hotdogs; drunk, pushing Vesna and being a pissed idiot... It was hilarious but would NEVER make it to air by today's standards. I remember being on the forum back in 2007 I think and even FB wasn't that big...

BB can never go back to it's original form... Times have changed.

Better. Definitely better.

For one thing, the scheduling and content from the house would be extremely consistent. That's a given. Among other things.

But if it's ever gonna happen again it'll be in another ten years or so after another BB "hiatus" off the air. In the meantime, we can only imagine...

I'm not sure it would take such a big hiatus given the CEO's comments. However I can see nine doing a few more seasons. Even more so now knowing that Ten would have it back if available

Interesting. I think 9 have the right idea with the type of housemates they are casting - even last year's nasty bunch of housemates were way better than some earlier seasons of BB. But us BB purists need a live feed so we can be harshly judgemental in an informed way :)

I also doubt 9 would give it back to 10 at this stage. It's nowhere near where it was in it's heyday, but it's working well in a significantly trimmed way.

Does 9 really make that many decisions? I thought all they really do is 'yeah we give you these slots for big brother and you make content for them'.

I think on the whole it is southern star endemol. The same as it was in the 10 days. So I don't think there is so much to be said with saying 9 are choosing different people to be housemates than 10 would.

So all in all, I think 10 would be a better option if it could happen that is assuming they give a lot of their programming to bb again with spin off shows they had in every series and putting uplate back on instead of 9's choices of basically getting it to just fill up a 7pm weekday slot.

Does 9 really make that many decisions? I thought all they really do is 'yeah we give you these slots for big brother and you make content for them'.

I think on the whole it is southern star endemol. The same as it was in the 10 days. So I don't think there is so much to be said with saying 9 are choosing different people to be housemates than 10 would.

So all in all, I think 10 would be a better option if it could happen that is assuming they give a lot of their programming to bb again with spin off shows they had in every series and putting uplate back on instead of 9's choices of basically getting it to just fill up a 7pm weekday slot.

I remember [MENTION=1]Tim[/MENTION] saying that Nine execs pull a lot of strings. That might have come from Tim's dealings with Alex Mav-whatshisface

I haven't watched any BB on 9. Only seen bits and pieces out of curiosity and kept somewhat up to date by lurking this site.

If Ten were to get it back and bring back livestreaming (and Uplate) I'd probably watch it again. Has 9 already renewed the contract?

Ten wanted it and were in the bidding for it when Nine picked up the rights two years ago as I recall.

Trouble for Ten now it has run down its base audience, which means shows will not be worth as much to Ten as they are to Nine or Seven, hence they'll always get outbid.

I have to say I much prefer the angle channel 9 are taking with the show

the HMs are much better - less bogans (thank goodness is all I can say - except I did like Boog hehe)

It is becoming less 'reality tv' with HMs being shown as 'characters' and playing certain storyline angles rather than playing out events

I think the shock factor of BB is gone and I'm happy to watch a show that's evolved from that

I have to say I much prefer the angle channel 9 are taking with the show

the HMs are much better - less bogans (thank goodness is all I can say - except I did like Boog hehe)

It is becoming less 'reality tv' with HMs being shown as 'characters' and playing certain storyline angles rather than playing out events

I think the shock factor of BB is gone and I'm happy to watch a show that's evolved from that

OMG! I can't believe you would actually write that! Obviously you are not a Channel 10 Big Brother connoisseur. Big Brother is all about reality! I don't want to watch another soapie!

OMG! I can't believe you would actually write that! Obviously you are not a Channel 10 Big Brother connoisseur. Big Brother is all about reality! I don't want to watch another soapie!

I know!! What am I doing on this site??! Should be on facebook talking BB instead ;)

Back