Skip to main content

Network Ten exec wishes they kept BB

I love BB don't get me wrong but the show has been in the hands of fools for so long and I'm fairly certain with the direction BB has been moving the general mass of viewers want more than just a bunch of people living in a house...

So called knock-offs of established reality shows have been popping up more and more over the last few years and I've always said that if TEN really wanted BB back they should try something new with the format... Perhaps something along the lines of a hybrid BBUS style format that will incorporate some "I'm a Celebrity..." style viewer participation and live tasks...

ABC (US) launch glass house to mixed reviews the summer before last and having gone and watched the show I didn't think it was all that bad... The problems were mainly in the execution and scheduling... I'm sure had they brought it back with an expanded schedule, expanded live feed, and tweaked the format slightly it might have actually rated better than the tragic mess that was BB15...

TEN should really work with Shine Australia to rework John De Mol's Golden Cage format and air it in BB's traditional winter slot...

This ^^^ sounds like a good idea so unfortunately Channel Ten will not go for it.

I had read that the Glass house had former producers form BB USA and the producers stole or used ideas from BB and were sued do you know anything more about this?

This ^^^ sounds like a good idea so unfortunately Channel Ten will not go for it.

I had read that the Glass house had former producers form BB USA and the producers stole or used ideas from BB and were sued do you know anything more about this?

I don't know the ins and outs of the suit but it appears the suit had more to do with the producers having been former employees of CBS that left to start their own similar show... It's unlikely the suit would have stood if that wasn't the case...

Glass House was pretty much a bust in the US. Their "live feeds" consisted of gathering HM at certain times to "perform" with stories or antics & it was so contrived & boring. The "audience participation" had huge problems - judge HM performance before HM performed & then HM would perform & voting would already be closed.

I don't know what happened with the case but it was clearly no competition for BB & I doubt if the case was pursued vigorously. The series completed but I doubt if it will ever be back.

Glass House was pretty much a bust in the US. Their "live feeds" consisted of gathering HM at certain times to "perform" with stories or antics & it was so contrived & boring. The "audience participation" had huge problems - judge HM performance before HM performed & then HM would perform & voting would already be closed.

I don't know what happened with the case but it was clearly no competition for BB & I doubt if the case was pursued vigorously. The series completed but I doubt if it will ever be back.

So the HM would have to tell stories/perform a skit or something on cue and then be judged by the public. OK now it makes sense why this show failed. I thought BBAU had some contrived shit sometimes but this sounds like it was alot worse.

Thanks for the info...

So the HM would have to tell stories/perform a skit or something on cue and then be judged by the public. OK now it makes sense why this show failed. I thought BBAU had some contrived shit sometimes but this sounds like it was alot worse.

Thanks for the info...

He's totally given you the wrong impression... The "live feed" situations were "set-up" in a similar way to Late Night Feast... Situations were set up for entertainment value vs actually being a fly on the wall traditional BB style live feed... The contestants were asked questions or asked to preform a task by the viewers and they could chose whether or not to respond... Basically [MENTION=36245]Cyn_Texas[/MENTION] response is typical Glass House bashing done by those that could not appreciate the show for the limited value it was allowed to give...

I suggest you take a chance to watch it yourself... I actually turned off the first episode on TV but went back months later and actually enjoyed it... I feel BB fans tuned in hoping for something more than the show as able to deliver and given that it aired almost simultaneously with BB it just couldn't compete... Basically it was the same fate BB had in it's first American series... BB failed to meet the same expectations viewers had after it launched half way through Survivors first series...

So I've watched most of the glass house and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The house looked amazing. It was cool that it was on a sound stage and made of glass. I'm not sure if living with no natural light for the amount of time the show went on would be a good thing though. The actual design of the bedrooms reminded me of the BBUK house. What I didn't like was the space of the living areas, perhaps they could of been bigger. But all in all the house was way better than the BB14 & 15 house ( the only 2 I've seen)

The challenges seemed as though the producers had spent alot of money on them and they were not tacky like the BBUSA challenges. My favourite challenge was the doll house where to contestants had to repel down the doll house and count certain items on each level.

The first episode was a bit confusing. I understand why on your first watch you didn't stay with it but returned to watch it at a later date. Once I had made it to episode 2 I was hooked. Perhaps the viewers at the time also could not make it through the first episode either.

What I didn't like was when the viewers would choose who slept in the friends room or the enemies room. From what I saw there was not much drama created by this. The show could of done with out this. Also I think the show missed out on an opportunity of showing what "Limbo" actually was and I never could figure out how long the contestants were actually there for. A one point Ericka said she was there for 5 days but that seems like such a long time to be out of the game and I'm not sure if she was exaggerating it or not. What was cool though was how the players left the game, I really like that bit.

During the episodes they would show little snippets of some of the things that were on the "Live Feeds". Although I didn't watch any of the live feed eps they didn't look as contrived as I had first thought they would.

Now the game play was actually less obvious then BBUSA, from what I had seen on BB15 I could always tell who was going home each week. The only surprise I had was when Judd left during the first double eviction. In the Glass House it was a lot less predictable except the week where Gene left. The Fan questions were a good part of the game because you and your alliance could compare notes on each question and plan strategy that way. Also when the captains were chosen by the public by who had the least amount of votes it was a good indication of who was loved or not by the public. What I was unsure of was the way the the other players were eliminated on the screen, was it in no particular order or was it from the most popular to the least. When both captains were from the same alliance it was interesting to see how the captains would pick their teams. Would they stack the other alliance on one team or spread them out.

It sucks that this show did not come back again this year because I feel if it did it would of rated alot better because of the controversy on BB15. But who could of predicted what a horrible cast BB would of had this year.

If Channel Ten are truly sad that they let BB go this show seems like it could be a good alternative for ten. But we all know that Channel Ten like to make bad decisions. So if they do somehow manage to get this show or something similar they will probably program it up against BB on Channel Nine. Big mistake IMO it would either fail or take viewers away from BB and put BBs future in jeopardy. Which is not something I would like to see happen.

For an Australian audience I think a show like this needs more that the one episode a week. Maybe 2 nights a week minimum. An actual live feed would be the best thing for the show. As long as Channel Nine refuse to give an actual Live Feed for BB the fans will feel as though they are missing out. If Ten marketed this show by saying something like " The only reality show in Australia that has complete access 24/7 for the viewers" I'm sure it would win a few BB fans over who have been wanting a live feed since BB has been on Nine.

Back