Skip to main content

Masterchef 2021

Sometimes I think they make excuses based on how much they like the contestant.
I like Pete, but nothing could convince me to buy a scoop of curry ice cream.
I think the judges like to push 'out there' food, as long as it's not totally disgusting.
Totally agree. The judges push the weird and wonderful all of the time but they also push traditional type cooking. Mel, in particular, really does seem to have a bias towards south east Asian cuisine...there's nothing wrong with that as it's obviously her preference but it sort of leaves the non-traditional cooks having to experiment to get noticed.

Yes, it was. Elise and Sabina left the guts in some of the flounder because they had to help with the prawns.

I forgot it was a non-elimination week, so I expected to lose one of Elise, Sabina, Scott or Pete.
Which would have been ok if it wasn't Pete.
But their only punishment for losing was that they didn't get to cook for immunity.
Basically we could have skipped this week.

I'll have to have a catch up. I'm two episodes behind - and have a strata meeting to get in the way of any catch up tonight! :mad:
Had our Covid jabs today. So far , so good. BUT, most people have side effects after about 8 hours. That'll be half way through the meeting, so I might be able to sneak away! 🤭

Poor Kishwar.

I turned off when the masterclass started, always my least favourite part.
I'm not a cook and I don't really need to see how the judges make their unappealing food.
Without eliminations it's just like an SBS cooking show.

Poor Kishwar.

I turned off when the masterclass started, always my least favourite part.
I'm not a cook and I don't really need to see how the judges make their unappealing food.
Without eliminations it's just like an SBS cooking show.
Yes, it was a shame about Kishwar. Having said that, I'm not a fan of cook-a-long challenges. I don't see the point of them. These people are cooks and good/great cooks who may or may not want to be chefs. But even if they did want to be a chef I doubt that they would need to be able to cook a recipe that they are not familiar with at such a frantic pace.

I'm not a fan of masterclasses either although I always watch them in the hope that I may learn a 'cheat' or two but over all the years I don't think I've gleaned one helpful tip or any inspiration. Except Matt Preston's baked bean soup...wtf? Why would you even bother? 🤣

ETA: Tommy's over-exuberance has been annoying me a bit lately...especially last night.

Last edited:
Yes, it was a shame about Kishwar. Having said that, I'm not a fan of cook-a-long challenges. I don't see the point of them. These people are cooks and good/great cooks who may or may not want to be chefs. But even if they did want to be a chef I doubt that they would need to be able to cook a recipe that they are not familiar with at such a frantic pace.

I'm not a fan of masterclasses either although I always watch them in the hope that I may learn a 'cheat' or two but over all the years I don't think I've gleaned one helpful tip or any inspiration. Except Matt Preston's baked bean soup...wtf? Why would you even bother? 🤣

ETA: Tommy's over-exuberance has been annoying me a bit lately...especially last night.
The cook-a-longs are ridiculous, I agree. The chef created the dish and knows exactly how to do it, there's no way anyone can be expected to know instantly. What Curtis said about needing to keep up if you're in a restaurant is true, but there's no way they'd throw anyone into it first night without training them at their own pace first.

Tommy is very nice but perhaps needs to dial it back a bit.

Another tense show.

I really would love to taste Pete's dishes because they are certainly out there and on 'paper' don't really sound all that good so I guess you really need to try them? I really like him though.

They all seemed to cook really well tonight...shame about the ones who left but someone (or two) had to go.

I am absolutely amazed at tonight's result! Blind Freddy could have seen the problem with one team's dessert from almost the beginning. Not sure if it was the person who made it who was at fault or the team captain for not checking. But the person who made it should have known better and I hope they go home tomorrow.

I loved last night’s ep and shed a few tears. Loving the Justin/Pete bromance...they seem like great guys. Kishwar‘s dish sounded amazing and her passion really touched me. Same with Pete…that guy really seems to have a natural instinct when it comes to flavours and Tommy made me almost want to eat raw kangaroo.

Shame about Depinder...early on I thought she was the one to beat but she seemed to fall into a bit of a hole in the last few weeks. I'm sure she'll do well in the future though.

Agree with all the above bar eating raw kangaroo 🤮
Haha! I said almost...tbh I struggle eating Skippy cooked! Philosophically I'm a vegetarian but unfortunately I do enjoy eating lamb and beef at times...I pretend it's just stuff that comes on trays from supermarkets and has no relationship to animals reared in paddocks even though my husband was a cattle grazier for many years. Ostrich syndrome! I've tried some plant based foods but they just don't do it for me.

Back