Skip to main content

Masterchef 2020

He was 20 and posting on a bodybuilders' forum, a hotbed of machismo and insecurity, and was no doubt just trying to fit in/find himself, or whatever you do when you're a skinny migrant kid trying to bulk up, and shooting the shit on a bodybuilder's forum. He's regretted his comments and apologised. The end.

I would be supporting Reynold now that Poh is gone. He is undoubtedly gifted.
But I just can't, his homophobic past
has made him persona non grata in my eyes.
As a gay man I am able to move on from Reynold's teenage homophobia six or more years ago, and not hold it against him

No offence, did you fully move on.

😢 Oh Reynold, I thought he had that dish. That was heartbreaking to see him breakdown like that at the end. 😢
And @Meglos, nicely said about him, we've all said awful things when we were young which we'd regret and be ashamed of now if anyone dragged it up.

Also, I wonder if Laura would still be there if she hadn't had help from the other two.

Reynold should have been in the final. He would be able to give Emilia a run for her money, unfortunately going up against Laura will almost be a walk in the park for her. I think we can conclude Emilia has got this.

Also, I wonder if Laura would still be there if she hadn't had help from the other two.

They all got help in other ways.

Reading whirlpool forums, the conspiracy theories etc. People should be wearing tin foil hats.

Also Reynold only has himself to blame for trying to do the elements his way.

I am far from a saint

He may have learnt, but only apologised when it made the media

Reactions: Lyf
I am far from a saint

He may have learnt, but only apologised when it made the media

Why would he apologise for something on a random forum before it became public? He probably forgot all about those comments until someone sent them to the media.

For me it wasn't just that Reynold made homophobic comments. It's the severity of the actual content of what he said. Also - he came to Australia when he was a young child - like around 4?, and to still make such comments after growing up in Australia, at around the age of 20ish, makes me wonder. Perhaps his going to a Christian school might also have shaped those thoughts? I grew up in an Asian country where homophobia is rife and I still never had thoughts like his. I know people back home in my country of origin who are openly homophobic and the things they say are still less cruel than what he said. Also, his friendship with Brendan and Reece doesn't mean he doesn't still secretly harbour thoughts that gay people are somehow lesser. I personally know a relative who treats another gay relative well (e.g. cooks their favourite food for them), but still thinks being gay is strange and unnatural. Anyway, that's my insight as someone who has a similar background to him (growing up in a conservative Asian environment - though, I'm not religious). It's a very complex issue.

Not sure if I really care who wins... all my favourites have already gone haha. I guess either one is ok. But it's certainly not so exciting without someone to support.

For me it wasn't just that Reynold made homophobic comments. It's the severity of the actual content of what he said.

A recap of his comments only 6 yrs ago

“I wish the world made a united decision where they will capture all gay people and put them on a remote island full of gays, that way straight ppl will be happy and the freaks can go on and f**k themselves.”

On another thread titled: “Is homosexuality a mental illness?”, he wrote: “Yes end of thread.”
________

But don't worry, he is sorry.

Yet he whinges, at 'racist comments' about himself etc.

Just getting in early.

ZOMG: It's rigged (no matter who wins) :p

• Haha
A recap of his comments only 6 yrs ago

“I wish the world made a united decision where they will capture all gay people and put them on a remote island full of gays, that way straight ppl will be happy and the freaks can go on and f**k themselves.”

On another thread titled: “Is homosexuality a mental illness?”, he wrote: “Yes end of thread.”
________

But don't worry, he is sorry.

Yet he whinges, at 'racist comments' about himself etc.

I've posted this once before, but the other thing that makes me skeptical is that a year or so after those comments, there was another thing where he blocked someone on social media for asking him to adjust his language, and apparently other people have had the same experience.

So it makes me wonder at what point he started becoming more open to changing his views, if his response to a simple request is to ban someone.

If he had responded better in that other instance, then I would be also more inclined to think that he is quite capable of self-reflection and has been learning and growing over the past 6 years and is a different person now. But because of that, yeah, I have doubts.

Kind of missing the running scoreboard thing for this finale. So they're just going to give their comments and then announce the winner? I thought there would have been more fanfare, lol.

Are Laura and Emilia housemates? No physical distancing between them in the last episode and this one. They seem to have a lovely friendship.

Are Laura and Emilia housemates? No physical distancing between them in the last episode and this one. They seem to have a lovely friendship.
They were roomies during filming I believe, so no biggy.

This finale was really.... flat... Just the 2 of them cooking for 60 (where were they?) and then watching the judges scoff the food and prattle on. The only slightest drama was Laura burning her hand and then leaving the freezer open for 2 minutes.

No sense of tension at all. I still remember the stress of Billy's finale and her 4 attempts at that bloody golden sugar balloon/bubble thing.

Nope, just Covid distancing and polite clapping pretty much, then Laura had a cry and finally (!) Emelia was allowed the hold up the trophy.

Back