Skip to main content

Masterchef 2020

The whole concept was ridiculous. Last night they got a basic cook anything you want, then tonight it's make a dessert with meat. Hardly an even playing field.

That was one hell of an odd one last night, but kept me watching today to see exactly what they came up with.

Reactions: Lyf
Ooh Jock more critical of Laura's dish this episode.

Poh's "safe" cake still looks more intricate than any cake I've ever made. Would certainly have made the show more interesting if she used durian though!

Simple or not, Poh's cake was finally a Masterchef dish I'd eat.

Durian is the worst.
My brother and his mate have a thing where they buy each other birthday presents of the most ridiculous Japanese thing they can find. My brother has a box of chocolates he's had for years, durian flavoured.

Simple or not, Poh's cake was finally a Masterchef dish I'd eat.

Durian is the worst.
My brother and his mate have a thing where they buy each other birthday presents of the most ridiculous Japanese thing they can find. My brother has a box of chocolates he's had for years, durian flavoured.
I had never heard of durian fruit before so I googled it, and this is what I found, I just had to share it, it sounds disgusting!

its odor is best described as pig-shit, turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock. It can be smelled from yards away. ... The wide range of descriptions for the odour of durian may have a great deal to do with the variability of durian odour itself.

And then this ...

Due to its overpowering smell, durian has been banned on many types of public transport across Thailand, Japan and Hong Kong. In Singapore, the fruit is banned across all types of public transportation and even taxis have signs to let you know they refuse to carry passengers transporting the smelly fruit. 😂

Laura was not happy that Josh didn't fawn over her dish.

She seems to crave all the praise about how wonder she is.

I had never heard of durian fruit before so I googled it, and this is what I found, I just had to share it, it sounds disgusting!

its odor is best described as pig-shit, turpentine and onions, garnished with a gym sock. It can be smelled from yards away. ... The wide range of descriptions for the odour of durian may have a great deal to do with the variability of durian odour itself.

And then this ...

Due to its overpowering smell, durian has been banned on many types of public transport across Thailand, Japan and Hong Kong. In Singapore, the fruit is banned across all types of public transportation and even taxis have signs to let you know they refuse to carry passengers transporting the smelly fruit. 😂

I was kind of hoping someone would at least cut one open, just for laughs.

Laura was not happy that Josh didn't fawn over her dish.

She seems to crave all the praise about how wonder she is.

I caught a bit of the repeat today too, and Laura was boasting "I know I've nailed it, I have a good shot at immunity". There's nothing wrong with confidence, but she and Tessa have such tickets on themselves.

Due to its overpowering smell, durian has been banned on many types of public transport across Thailand, Japan and Hong Kong. In Singapore, the fruit is banned across all types of public transportation and even taxis have signs to let you know they refuse to carry passengers transporting the smelly fruit.
In Asia it's quite common to see "No Durians" signs in hotel lobbies as well. I've had durian ice cream, which was nice, and I have smelt it at the markets but haven't yet tried the fresh fruit. Really should sometime.

In Asia it's quite common to see "No Durians" signs in hotel lobbies as well. I've had durian ice cream, which was nice, and I have smelt it at the markets but haven't yet tried the fresh fruit. Really should sometime.

It's mainly enclosed spaces and warmer climates where the smell really becomes a problem. If you transport durian in a car on a hot day you'll smell it for days.

My tip for trying the fresh fruit - I think cold durian is tastier than room temperature durian, i.e., chill it in the fridge first. Or you can even freeze it - this reduces the smell, and it becomes kinda like ice cream.

I applaud your interest in durian! As someone who grew up in Asia, I think too many Westerners make way too much noise over how awful they think the smell or taste of durian is, while accepting blue cheese as some tasty snack. I'm not a fan of blue cheese but I don't go on and on describing it in the most disgusting way possible like some people do about durians, lol.

Ooh I like this points over 3 rounds system.

All the toasties in the first round look great. Callum should get an extra point in thoughtfulness (especially during Covid-19 times) for serving 3 toasties when no one else did!

So they’re not coordinating their scores any more.

I found that interesting too! It's rare to see one judge score a dish 7 and another a 9. I don't remember seeing that with the old judges (though admittedly I haven't watched every season).

Back