Skip to main content

Masterchef 2013

I wasn't that keen on the MC the Professionals. Are you watching this series?

the pro series seems better to me. The people actually do it for a job and can talk about food and not sound like they're just wanking off... which is the impression I get from these regular people

Watched my first episode tonight. You simply can not imagine the depth of my disinterest or care about their back sob-stories... just cook the damm food...

I wonder if they gave everyone back home another fridge for the week or so that they took to nick their regular one? And wouldn't some of the more perishable stuff have gone off during transport?

Watched my first episode tonight. You simply can not imagine the depth of my disinterest or care about their back sob-stories... just cook the damm food...

**nods head in total agreement **

I sense a con. What exactly was so fantastic about the arrogant, creepy guy's semi-raw, unseasoned lumps of steak?
It couldn't be that they want to keep him in because he's a "character", could it?

I sense a con. What exactly was so fantastic about the arrogant, creepy guy's semi-raw, unseasoned lumps of steak?
It couldn't be that they want to keep him in because he's a "character", could it?

I couldn't agree more! What was that all about? He absolutely ruined the previous two (or was it three?) chunks of dead animal. Does it really take a whole hour to grill a steak, throw some veg in the oven and stir a sauce? I can see he is going to be one of my 'love to hate' contestants - he gives me the heeby-jeebies.

the pro series seems better to me. The people actually do it for a job and can talk about food and not sound like they're just wanking off... which is the impression I get from these regular people

I wonder if they gave everyone back home another fridge for the week or so that they took to nick their regular one? And wouldn't some of the more perishable stuff have gone off during transport?

I grew up in a house with a professional chef, my mum is a qualified chef (retired) she trained in England in the 50's at College in London. I find this new breed of professionals to be arrogant, some might say that is fine and I love a bit of confidence but I found their manner super annoying and actually if you will think back there was a fair bit of blubbering involved as well.

However I would have to agree with all of your points re this series, I get the impression that there are probably about 5 decent cooks and the rest are reality tv fodder. The importation of the fridges was bloody ridiculous, I nearly turned off but as I had my laptop on my lap and the remote was on the other couch I didn't bother.

I enjoyed the fridges! I spent ages beavering around happily in my head wondering how they got them down - plane, truck? - or if they just replicated the brands and dressed them with the photos, etc. It was a nice way to establish their family/living setups. Clearly this year is more about average households and how they cook rather than the high end stuff.

Agree about the loss of the top 50 and a sort of hollowness resulting, but there are a few good cooks in there and I am just happy MC is back on.

So it's not just me that dislikes "raw steak" guy (it looked "blue" to me...isn't that the correct term? Yet they said it was perfect. shrugs) He does have an unpleasant, cocky arrogance and was hoping he'd go home so my skin doesn't have to crawl any more watching and listening to him.

I liked "The Professionals MC" but I really just enjoy any MC, with the big exception of that All-Stars one...just couldn't get into that one. The familiarity between the all-star contestants and the judges turned me off and I think that was the reason.

I loved the Professionals - thought they were amazing cooks, for the most part anyway. I haven't watched any of this series yet, didn't watch any of last series at all.

So it's not just me that dislikes "raw steak" guy (it looked "blue" to me...isn't that the correct term? Yet they said it was perfect. shrugs) He does have an unpleasant, cocky arrogance and was hoping he'd go home so my skin doesn't have to crawl any more watching and listening to him.

I liked "The Professionals MC" but I really just enjoy any MC, with the big exception of that All-Stars one...just couldn't get into that one. The familiarity between the all-star contestants and the judges turned me off and I think that was the reason.

It's not just you who dislikes steak guy. He was the one I was hoping would go last night. I was shocked when he got dish of the day, the nutter was cooking the steak in a dry pan, he didn't seem to have any idea how to cook a simple steak properly. I agree with your description of him, he doesn't seem particularly pleasant and he doesn't seem like much of a cook. How do you stuff up shepherds pie?

I forgot to put my tape on. Was mc on tonight? Did I miss it or is it only on three nights a week like the professional series? I'll be peeved if there is no master class Fridays, I know a lot of people didnt like them but I used to enjoy them.

I forgot to put my tape on. Was mc on tonight? Did I miss it or is it only on three nights a week like the professional series? I'll be peeved if there is no master class Fridays, I know a lot of people didnt like them but I used to enjoy them.

I didn't actually check if it was on because at the end of the "fridge" episode they said they'd all be heading to Barossa Valley next week. Hope I didn't miss one either lol.

It wasn't on - but I think they said at the end of Tuesday's episode that they were having the master class on Thursday.

Yes, and just to confuse further, next week it will be on Sunday to Wednesday as competition eps, and then also on Thursday with masterclass. Allegedly. I suppose it had something to do with that ball sports thing that was on, but it is driving me nuts the way networks make you check eleven sources for the night's viewing and you still don't know if they're going to spring an extra ep of a show on anyway (as nine keep doing with the Following) or in this case the tv print guide was out-of-date by the time it was printed. Gar...

Yes, and just to confuse further, next week it will be on Sunday to Wednesday as competition eps, and then also on Thursday with masterclass. Allegedly. I suppose it had something to do with that ball sports thing that was on, but it is driving me nuts the way networks make you check eleven sources for the night's viewing and you still don't know if they're going to spring an extra ep of a show on anyway (as nine keep doing with the Following) or in this case the tv print guide was out-of-date by the time it was printed. Gar...

I agree.. Even the guide on the tv is often wrong. I don't know how many times I've set the programmer to record something and it's either not on at all or it starts 15 minutes late and only half of the episode tapes. These days I always set the record timer to record for an extra 15-20 minutes because nothing ever seems to start on time. I completely missed the judging on Tuesday night. The show ran late, even past my extra record time. I watched it online but it was a PITA because we're running short on bandwidth this month.

Thanks for the heads up on the episode schedule.

Michael (guy who won with the steak) has to be one of the most easy-to-hate contestants they've ever had. Everything about him shits me to no end. I usually like having one or two contestants like that but this guy borders on being too much...

Also that Noeleen woman seems like she may be this season's equivalent to Debra last year, though I didn't actually find Debra that bad most of the time, her bitchiness was less overt.

It feels like they've intentionally chosen a greater number of 'hateable' contestants this year than ever before, there are a few I didn't mention who definitely have the potential to fit that role and would probably stand out more if not for Michael going above and beyond with it. I literally had to pause the last episode I watched for about 5 minutes to recover from the douche chills.

I'm actually finding it more entertaining than it usually is at this stage of the competition so hopefully it will still be worth watching a few weeks from now.

Michael (guy who won with the steak) has to be one of the most easy-to-hate contestants they've ever had. Everything about him shits me to no end. I usually like having one or two contestants like that but this guy borders on being too much...

with luck he may be out soon, cant stand him.

Lynton on tuesday night...

That was it? That was the big trauma in the ad promo that made the big tough stockman from the NT have a cry?.... .

His freaking fish didn't steam properly?...!?..?

I was thinking maybe he chopped off a finger or something really dramatic, but no... He couldn't steam a flipping piece if fish...

Big bloody woop...

I am no longer watching it. I feel so sorry for all those amazing cooks out there who auditioned and should be on this show, instead of these twits. Even the masterchef facebook page is full of people turning off. Why do they insist on changing the format when it worked so well previously? Idiots at tv stations have no idea.

Back