Skip to main content

Masterchef 2013

W

wynter

I'm surprised not to find a thread for the new season. What did everyone think? I thought it looks quite good so far, it has potential. Samira's dish looked pretty appealing. A couple of the guys were ...hmmm...interesting. I felt sorry for the poor desert guy, who knew whipped sour cream went runny?

Looking forward to my Gary, George & Matt fix.

I was disappointed in it. At first I was happy that they had the top 22, then I figured out why. They have been "cast" and not based on their cooking. How do you get a gig on Masterchef and not know how to crack an egg? One chick works for Coles.. yes Coles are a sponsor in case you missed them mentioning it. Nick didn't even cook, he should have been booted out based on that. Getting the feeling it is going to turn into a MKR format. Why can't they just leave it as the original format? It rated it's arse off then.
Stereotypes are all there, the gay, the stay at home mum, the country boy with the heart of gold, the asian, the middle eastern. I would love to see more than 1 of each "type" - 3 Asian cooks going up against each other would produce some fantastic recipes and a real contest :)

...unfortunately after MKR I just haven't been arsed to watch it in all honesty... as ausbjfan pointed out they have been 'casted' and are not based on their cooking abilities... I'll possibly watch towards the last few episodes only unless there is a big fuss made about it on this thread and then maybe I'll watch a few more episodes... hopefully for all of you that do watch it all I hope that the show is edited a lot better than they did on MKR to build up fake drama all of the time... that really shit me through to the bones... cheers.

I watched it tonight. Not hugely impressed so far with the battle of the sexes bravado, but hopefully it will settle down once the cooking begins.

Hmm, I hadn't really thought about the old format. Now I'm thinking that the old top 50 weed out that we've missed was a good intro to the series. It gave us a chance to get to know a few of the characters before we really got into it. I have to say I agree with the comments ^^. It does seem a bit like we've missed the first two weeks. (ie the top 50 hatchet job to top 24).

I did notice that the Mindy clone was there - and Amina clone, and Callam clone and a few other recognisable characters.

I think that every series has had the stereotypes but the lack of the auditions means rather than being gently introduced they were thrust upon us. Lots of very strong personalties as far as I can tell, I hope they are all good cooks too.

There seem to be lots of young males or am I just getting old. Anyway I'll be watching but hope they don't stretch the man v women thing out too long.

I think the men and women divide is only for the first two weeks. I'll certainly be watching again. I like that there is a range of cooks from different ethnic backgrounds - that they are stereotypical of their ethnicity is a strange point. That assumes that an individual can be reduced to assumptions based on ethnicity, which I don't think is the case.

I watched last night think I will give a miss for a few weeks till a few go.

Anyone else have the same problem I do with all RTV shows now ?
IE I can't watch a whole show of any of them, get bored, flip channels, get distracted, wander away to check dinner.

Generally there is so little real content, you can pretty much follow what's going on through adds.

I think the men and women divide is only for the first two weeks. I'll certainly be watching again. I like that there is a range of cooks from different ethnic backgrounds - that they are stereotypical of their ethnicity is a strange point. That assumes that an individual can be reduced to assumptions based on ethnicity, which I don't think is the case.

The stereotypes I'm talking about aren't based on ethnicity, I'm more thinking about the stereotypes based on age, gender, job. For example they always have the Handsome younger guy, the stay at home mum, the person after the new career, the country bloke etc etc. For sure there would be a formula that they follow.

The stereotypes I'm talking about aren't based on ethnicity, I'm more thinking about the stereotypes based on age, gender, job. For example they always have the Handsome younger guy, the stay at home mum, the person after the new career, the country bloke etc etc. For sure there would be a formula that they follow.

Ah, I see what you mean. I don't think that they could select a diverse group without some of those individuals being in the show, though.

Ah, I see what you mean. I don't think that they could select a diverse group without some of those individuals being in the show, though.

Of course but for sure they would have formula to go by. I guess it makes sense, after all they want to capture a big audience from all ages, genders and backgrounds. :)

Seriously why are they already calling people "desert king" "offal queen", it's annoying, if they start talking about their journey I will have to tape the show so I can ff through the nonsense.

I miss the usual process where it takes a few episodes to get down to this number of contestants, and by then you're at least a little bit familiar with them and it feels more interesting to watch.

Struggled to watch the first episode to completion purely because I just didn't know any of the people or their personalities, the opening credits with all the unfamiliar faces felt almost like a Masterchef parody or something haha.

I think it always takes at least a couple of weeks to start to really get interesting though so hopefully it'll pick up soon enough. I struggled with the first few weeks of the last couple of years too so I guess it's to be expected. Maybe it'll actually get 'good' quicker this year since they've been introduced right at the start and no air time will be expended on people who never got through to this stage. Either way I'm glad it's back :D

10049839300638.jpg

(^^current target online catalogue btw just in case any of you guys need new undies.)

I didn't mind the professionals series. When there is a choice of no masterchef or professional masterchef, I'll take the professional one. It was a bonus that we got the extra series.

Back