Skip to main content

Masterchef 2012

I thought that pudding looked crap though, couldn't see any dates and it looked dry.

When I was living in WA they had this fantastic Korean Barbie restaurant. You filled up your bowl with yummy ingedients/shaved meats and finely chopped vegies/different sauces etc then took it to the barbie chef to cook.
Now I'm in Melbourne, near Carnegie and they have about 5 Korean places, tried one and it was totally different food I didn't like. Woul dlike to learn more about this cuisine.
This stage of MC is boring and totally missable.

I've been to a couple of Korean BBQ places and they are fantastic, there is one in Goodwood and you cook the food yourself at your table.

Just watching MC repeat on now, thank the lord for immigrants and refugees coming to this country. All the different cultural influences are so wonderful.
Imagine back in the dark old days - like my granpa talked of the day they got the first real coffee and cappucina in Melbourne they lined up for blocks for real yummy Italian coffee. And the only take-away was fish and chips or Chinese - and you took your own pots to the restaurant for take-away. Interestiong how Chinese food has been a strong presence since the 1800s.

I don't know if it is the same Korean BBQ but Arirang in Perth is one of the best restaurants I have ever been too - you cook the food at your table in the little bbq thing in the middle - soooooooo good.

I noticed that the muslim girl (who has an Egyptian father and South Korean mother) was at the table with her folks and a sister and the sister did not appear to be wearing a hijab. She was nowhere near the sisters size either. Wonder if she is a sole convert or what is going on there? I am not asking to be racist or anything, genuinely interested when part of the family goes one way and part goes the other.

I can't believe Kevin chipping his tooth! What a moronian.

Ah I see, thanks King.

You're welcome... I also noticed though that her mother didn't either... Wearing a hijab can also be a personal choice woman make. They seem like a pretty liberal family so it really could be a variety of things.

I'm liking this season already. Some interesting contestants, and it seems to have got some of it's "fun" back.

Yes I'm liking this season to pwta, lots of very likable contestant. I felt sorry for Phillipe with the failed Meringue, if he'd just gone down the ramp the first time rather than listening to the girl he would have found the fish shop and they would have been back earlier.

Bit puzzled about all the people who said "I haven't cooked XXX before" why would you attempt something you'd never cooked before at this stage of the competition, odd.

Yeah - and I LOVE Steve B sooooooooo much that I have to barrack for this guy. Actually I love the 2 quivering mess guys, Steve B and the Japanese dude.
Really like the Asian/Indian background pair, they are just lovely women with some exceptional talent.

Re the Muslim woman, she's great, and she has such an interesting background. And regarding wearing the headgear and scarves and stuff - unless you come from a very controlling family it's a choice for women. Obviously the choice is sometimes not much of a choice.

When I was an Uni, there were these African girls in Uni flats we lived in, some wore the hajib. Their Mum came to visit for a few weeks, and lo and behold Mum wasn't wearing any headgear.
So I chatted to her and asked how that works, and she laughed and laughed, and she said she couldn't understand why they wanted to wear that headgear she never had.
I go to an all women's swimming thing every saturday with lots of Muslim women I'll have to be a bit more observant about who wears the headgear, can't recall teens with or without since mostly we are all half naked in the dressing rooms and not peering at each other.

Yeah - and I LOVE Steve B sooooooooo much that I have to barrack for this guy. Actually I love the 2 quivering mess guys, Steve B and the Japanese dude.
Really like the Asian/Indian background pair, they are just lovely women with some exceptional talent.

Re the Muslim woman, she's great, and she has such an interesting background. And regarding wearing the headgear and scarves and stuff - unless you come from a very controlling family it's a choice for women. Obviously the choice is sometimes not much of a choice.

When I was an Uni, there were these African girls in Uni flats we lived in, some wore the hajib. Their Mum came to visit for a few weeks, and lo and behold Mum wasn't wearing any headgear.
So I chatted to her and asked how that works, and she laughed and laughed, and she said she couldn't understand why they wanted to wear that headgear she never had.
I go to an all women's swimming thing every saturday with lots of Muslim women I'll have to be a bit more observant about who wears the headgear, can't recall teens with or without since mostly we are all half naked in the dressing rooms and not peering at each other.

I'm really not sure there is a method to the Hijab madness... The Qur'an is pretty vague. I think for the most part it is a choice.

I reckon that Amina just didn't want to go down that big hill - 'oh there's no sign' - apart from the 2 metre high one right next to you saying FISH !!! (meow!!)

Was it Del that made the ganache? Her little shuffle to the blast chiller was gold.

I really like shuffle girl, the home video which has her little boys asking her questions about cooking was adorable.

I love Salmon. I eat it all the time. Why on earth would you volunteer yourself to fillet at cook it if you were not 100% confident you'd do an excellent job if you could be eliminated.

Yeah, courage, go forth and try things... or be smart and take calculated risks.

I agree but I wonder did some step forward because they feared that those who didn't would be punished in some way. I must admit I was wondering if it was a trick.

Just found out that the Sticky Date Pudding girl with the hat was in my nieces home room at school last year, she's very nice apparently.

The girl that got through with the MASSIVE grandma glasses is really quite stunning looking (until she puts those MASSIVE glasses on) WTF was she thinking???

According to my sources huge frames in all colours are in not just the black "nerd" frames, very unfortunate imo, some look ok ^^^ did not. I had a massive pair like that in the early 90's looking at photos of me from then, they look hideous.

Back