Skip to main content

Layla Subritzky related to charismatic religion?

eye

Practice safe sexting :)
I found some interesting information on this unusual Polish surname in New Zealand. Layla's dad was wearing a kiwi fern hat... Are they related to this charismatic religious crackpot?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Subritzky

Bill Subritzky
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wilfred Allen ("Bill") Subritzky, from Auckland, New Zealand, was a lawyer and property developer from the mid 1950s until the mid 1980s. In 1971 he became involved in the Charismatic movement, and became an independent evangelist and healer. His company, Universal Homes, mass-produced homes in standard designs. It sold 14,000 homes over the 30-year period of Subritzky's involvement.[citation needed]
Subritzky's faith healing ministry, Dove Ministries, distributes pamphlets, books, videos etc. of his teaching and his evangelistic healing meetings. He is a charismatic Anglican but the style of his ministry is more similar to Pentecostals such as the late Derek Prince.[1]
Subritzky was a proponent of the Toronto Blessing and its introduction into New Zealand. He frequently attributes problems, whether physical, spiritual, emotional or psychological, to the influence of demons, which he claims to "cast out".[2] He also claims to have insight through the "word of knowledge" into people's sins, etc., which have made them vulnerable to demonic influence.[3] Skeptics have questioned his claim that he has ability to cure ailments such as asthma, arthritis and cancer; stating that he uses psychological manipulation to make people feel as though they are healed.[4][5]
He was married to Lucy Patricia (Pat), who died in 2011.
Bill has since married Kaylene. "Bill and Kaylene were married at St Phillip's Church, St Heliers, on Saturday 18th February 2012. The Rev Brian Jenkins officiated, supported by Rev Michael Berry and The Venerable Carol Graham, who is a long-time friend of Kaylene's." (www.doveministries.com)

Interesting.

I can't imagine it's a common name - but having said that, it doesn't mean Layla and her family subscribe to the same beliefs.

I don't know, but a link to Layla's family tree was posted at the start of the season, if you can find it, that should tell you how distant a relative he is (if at all).

Considering the family first went to NZ in 1859, I would imagine there would be several generations and several branches of Subritzkys in NZ these days. Quite possibly hundreds if not thousands of people. I think it's grasping at straws. Anyway, even if you have a nut job, no matter how closely or distantly related, in your family, it doesn't mean that you're one or that you believe what they believe.

All Subritzky's are related to a greater or lessor extent. They are all Polish Nobility which has been proven but not neccessarily Polish Royalty which has not been proven, yet. The name Subritzky is unique in this world and all holders of the name other than by marriage are descended from Romuauldous Zubrzycki, born in 1785 in what is now Latvia (but was Poland when he was born). In the 1990's, there were around 3,000 Subritzky's in New Zealand where the majority still live.

Further info can be found via the Facebook page "Subritzky Family History" which has the most up to date information. A copy of my Subritzky family history book is also available via that site (free in PDF format).

Not all Subritzky's are famous or wealthy, only a few.

Good on ya Layla, go for it.

Back