Skip to main content

Last movie you saw

The Bell Jar and the Butterfly
This tour de force of cinema is one of the most intelligent films I can remember seeing. It is based on the book of the same name, which is something between a final finger of defiance to a deity that gives a man one last chance to prove himself as a writer, and an autobiography of Jean-Dominique Bauby - and a masterpiece in its own right.
The book is the brainchild of one man (the author), who was himself the miraculous work of a brilliant medical team, who were able to bring him back from death and enable him to communicate the fact that he was not in a vegetive state (among other communications.) The movie is the brainchild of several people, none of which were the author of the book. Both are brilliant, but the book is unashamedly about the first person singular. The movie (respectfully) includes visions and aspects of the story that the author of the book chose to ignore, or could take for granted. The book has many aspects that can't be translated into film (in fact, just being able to portray as many scenes from the book as they did is proof of the films brilliance) - and some that the producers have scrupulously stayed away from, in the same way as a guest only enters the rooms their hosts have opened for them, and doesn't pick things up from the bookshelves, or rifle the drawers, this movie stays away from some of the corners of Jean-Dominique Bauby's mind. So it is worth both seeing the movie and reading the book, and neither one would spoil the other.
The movie did not actually make me cry. Maybe it was because the producer had so scrupulously stayed away from any studied attempt to tug at the heartstrings or wring pathos from what is, in its stark reality, a pretty pathetic situation to be in; or maybe it was because I had been poisoned by a goats cheese and asparagus muffin I ate in the cafe outside the cinema before I went in, and after the first half hour, I was overcome with waves of nausea and a horrible headache and kept saying to myself "I can hold on to the end of this scene - just the end of this scene - damn, I don't want to leave right now, I can hold on, just for this scene "etc, etc, (because you never get to see a movie for the first time, twice.)
Of course, if it were Jumper, I would have just left and been sick.(as I was all that night, but I'm fine now, thanks). Anyhow, with this movie, I just could not leave. I stayed on till all the credits had rolled, and the final curtain had shut and the lights had come up (as I usually do). Then I got up and left. I was the first one out the door. Every other patron was still in the cinema, still in their seat when I left. Normally, I am the very last to leave. Even in "No Country for Old Men" and "There Will Be Blood", there were only two, and one other person in the cinema by the time the credits finished rolling. At the end of this, they were all riveted to their seats, rigid, like so many quadriplegics. I was in the loo before they had arranged themselves to face the world outside. So you had probably better take a hanky, just in case.

The Bell Jar and the Butterfly
This tour de force of cinema is one of the most intelligent films I can remember seeing. It is based on the book of the same name, which is something between a final finger of defiance to a deity that gives a man one last chance to prove himself as a writer, and an autobiography of Jean-Dominique Bauby - and a masterpiece in its own right.
The book is the brainchild of one man (the author), who was himself the miraculous work of a brilliant medical team, who were able to bring him back from death and enable him to communicate the fact that he was not in a vegetive state (among other communications.) The movie is the brainchild of several people, none of which were the author of the book. Both are brilliant, but the book is unashamedly about the first person singular. The movie (respectfully) includes visions and aspects of the story that the author of the book chose to ignore, or could take for granted. The book has many aspects that can't be translated into film (in fact, just being able to portray as many scenes from the book as they did is proof of the films brilliance) - and some that the producers have scrupulously stayed away from, in the same way as a guest only enters the rooms their hosts have opened for them, and doesn't pick things up from the bookshelves, or rifle the drawers, this movie stays away from some of the corners of Jean-Dominique Bauby's mind. So it is worth both seeing the movie and reading the book, and neither one would spoil the other.
The movie did not actually make me cry. Maybe it was because the producer had so scrupulously stayed away from any studied attempt to tug at the heartstrings or wring pathos from what is, in its stark reality, a pretty pathetic situation to be in; or maybe it was because I had been poisoned by a goats cheese and asparagus muffin I ate in the cafe outside the cinema before I went in, and after the first half hour, I was overcome with waves of nausea and a horrible headache and kept saying to myself "I can hold on to the end of this scene - just the end of this scene - damn, I don't want to leave right now, I can hold on, just for this scene "etc, etc, (because you never get to see a movie for the first time, twice.)
Of course, if it were Jumper, I would have just left and been sick.(as I was all that night, but I'm fine now, thanks). Anyhow, with this movie, I just could not leave. I stayed on till all the credits had rolled, and the final curtain had shut and the lights had come up (as I usually do). Then I got up and left. I was the first one out the door. Every other patron was still in the cinema, still in their seat when I left. Normally, I am the very last to leave. Even in "No Country for Old Men" and "There Will Be Blood", there were only two, and one other person in the cinema by the time the credits finished rolling. At the end of this, they were all riveted to their seats, rigid, like so many quadriplegics. I was in the loo before they had arranged themselves to face the world outside. So you had probably better take a hanky, just in case.

I'd like this kind of film.... Is it at regular chimemas or little boutique cinemas like the Nova in Rundle Street in SA

The Brave One
Jodie Foster plays a very unconvincing straight woman. But it was ok..

Err...... Why does her sexuality have to enter into it?

It's her acting ability you should be focusing on.. Why the hell does everyone on here have effing problems with sexuality? It's a non issue.

I wanna see The Bell Jar and the Butterfly, but yeah it's on at the arthouse cinemas, so a bit out of my way.

Arthouse cinemas are the best, Twisted. Try "The Como" if you're in Melbourne. You get to take in wine or beer to the cinema, very civilised. And they play dark weird stuff like "Capote".

Death Sentence on DVD

Wow what a dark, disturbing revenge film.. It was great blood and gore and violence but!:D

Napoleon Dynamite, what an underwhelming movie. Crap wasn't even funny as was promised to me by some morons.

I'd like this kind of film.... Is it at regular chimemas or little boutique cinemas like the Nova in Rundle Street in SA

From what I can gather, its a the Palace in Rundle street and the Trak at Toorak gardens, at the moment.
In Brisbane it is showing at the cheap and texting kid riddenCineplex and at the local suburban cheaper Regal as well as the Palace and the Dendy, and it is coming to the Birch Carrol Coyle and Greater Union megacinemas.
It is French, but I wouldn't describe it as Art house (and I'm not sure the Palace is so far from mainsteam that I would call it Arthouse, just because it is possible to be poisoned by goat cheese muffins at its very doors.)
What remains of the independant cinemas of Brisbane are out in the suburbs, showing mainstream stuff, or have sold up, unable to compete with the Mega at the shopping centres, so my only chance to see an arthouse movie is at the Brisbane Movie Festival, or when the big national chains decide to release it, or when I visit Sydney or Melbourne.
I guess the Dendy and the Palace do try to release different stuff to the megas, but this one is being distributed by the mainstream as well.

From what I can gather, its a the Palace in Rundle street and the Trak at Toorak gardens, at the moment.
In Brisbane it is showing at the cheap and texting kid riddenCineplex and at the local suburban cheaper Regal as well as the Palace and the Dendy, and it is coming to the Birch Carrol Coyle and Greater Union megacinemas.
It is French, but I wouldn't describe it as Art house (and I'm not sure the Palace is so far from mainsteam that I would call it Arthouse, just because it is possible to be poisoned by goat cheese muffins at its very doors.)
What remains of the independant cinemas of Brisbane are out in the suburbs, showing mainstream stuff, or have sold up, unable to compete with the Mega at the shopping centres, so my only chance to see an arthouse movie is at the Brisbane Movie Festival, or when the big national chains decide to release it, or when I visit Sydney or Melbourne.
I guess the Dendy and the Palace do try to release different stuff to the megas, but this one is being distributed by the mainstream as well.

I really like the little cinemas... and I'm surprised the Nova isn't showing this because I like that cinema.. Oh well off I go to the Palace next week to see this if it's playing.

The Academy cinemas in Hindmarsh Square have now been demolished to make way for an apartment block. That was a really lovely old cinema and had a lot of memories for a lot of people including me. The cinema where many a Adelaidean had their first kiss including Moi....

Of course it's all about me you know :D

Last edited:
American movie comedy is by and large pretty ordinary fare, though I did enjoy all the Flying High / Naked Gun movies.

Especially any Shatner cameos.

"We've got to get that Shuttle DOWN SAFE!!!" (*As a safe crashes to the floor in the background*)

:D

Did anyone watch or have seen The Constant Gardner that was on tonight. Was a really great movie.

Last movie I saw was on DVD on Friday...... I picked up "Delta Force 2" thinking it would take off more from where the original had left and have more of the same feel as that.

Big mistake!!!!!!

This is the WORST EVER action movie I have seen. Terrible acting. Absolutely shithouse. Even the bad guys were more comical then seriuos and the lead bad guy was talking in this whisper of a voice trying to do a Steven Segal kind of voice. The DVD was a renter so I didn't buy it thank goodness.

This long weekend we've watched 300, Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick, I love them all :D

This long weekend we've watched 300, Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick, I love them all :D

Ooh cool I love Pitch Black

I thought Chronicles of Riddick was good, but it had more then a few silly moments and all, but was still a fun movie. Loved the ending with him becoming king of the Necro people or whatever they were called.

Back