Skip to main content

Last movie you saw

Watched Knives Out. Ok mystery I guess but not as good as an Agatha Christie book.

The politics of the film were rather obvious and unsubtle. But whatever.

The character of Marta the nurse was so pure, so decent, and so honest that she's literally incapable of lying without vomiting. So there's no way you can see her than anything other than innocent. Which I guess would be ok if she was just a side character. But she's not, she's one of if not the main characters in the movie so her lack of flaws and dimension really stand out. Plus the film was so desperate to make you like her that it made me feel at the very least neutral towards her.

Plus I never understood why Harlan left her the house and the money. Like I understood why he cut off his greedy, bigoted family. But the movie never established why Marta was the beneficiary of the will. Sure she played Go with him, but that was in her role as a nurse. Did Harlan seriously think she was doing this out of the goodness of her pure heart rather than because she wanted to earn money to live and support her family?

Not a movie, but Cobra Kai, the sequel series to the Karate Kid films is really good. I've been watching that on Netflix this past week and it is fantastic. I say this as someone who has no nostalgia for the original films.

Black Widow

I'm generally of the view all Marvel Cinematic Universe films are decent. They know what they're doing. Some films are better than others. Often by a large margin, but a bad MCU film is still decent. The lesser films have some lows but also some high points. I felt like this was the first film to just be eh. There were no lows, but also no highs. It was the lever of right in the middle marvel films that is neither good or bad.

The cast is good though. They elevated the material at some crucial times that was needed where the plotting fell down.

I love a cheesy shark movie. I was really scraping the bottle of the barrel with Ice Sharks though. The things you watch in lockdown.

Soylent Green, Edward G. Robinson’s last movie, and the first movie to feature a video game.
I was just thinking about that movie the other day because Woolies are airing an ad at the moment and it says 'green is well being' or something like that...err but maybe it's not in this context?

Logan’s Run, incredibly this won an Oscar for visual effects the year before Star Wars and Close Encounters came out.

I Tonya.
I wasn't that interested in looking at it, but am glad I did. It was way better than I had expected, and certainly didn't know the full story, or the life she had.

The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button
I think I cried twice as hard this second time around. It's a killer!

Jungle Cruise...
Bit like a Indiana Jones movie.. Good flick to kill a few hours :)

Ooh I just watched another one..
The Tomorrow War

Not too bad, although its a bit silly when you have a 1.8 metre tall man punching on with a 5 metre tall alien with a mouth full of 50 razor sharp teeth and not getting devoured within the first 10 seconds ---- sometimes Hollywood stretches the imagination a bit too far... :)

I bought some powered speakers yesterday, so I can enjoy music in decent quality for the first time in over five years.

Inspired by the two ABBA songs released yesterday, I put on ABBA: The Movie.

Let's make no mistake. This is a movie with a terribly thin plot, starring an actor who'd be later imprisoned as a child sex offender. It does, however, feature the absolute best quality footage of ABBA in concert at the peak of their musical career. Panavision no less.

Suffice to say there was a lot of skipping on my part between the musical parts.

Anyway it got me wondering. The film crew were there at concerts in Sydney, Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne and must have got a lot of footage that wasn't included in the film. So what happened to it? Whenever they show excerpts on TV it's always parts that made the final cut. Where's all the rest? Can't they make a concert special from the otherwise unused footage? Or did they just sweep up the editing suite floor and chuck it out?

Kate
It was ok for action, but if you miss it, you miss nothing.

Infinite
The film was a better premise than realised. Needed more action, but it was passable. I think you know if you can enjoy this kind of film or not before watching.

SAS: Rise of the Black Swan
B grade production level, but it wasn't bad. It was entertaining for what it was. I could see people thinking it was absolute shite, but I found it entertaining enough. If they adapt any more books in the series I wouldn't hesitate to watch.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Boring.

Kate
It was ok for action, but if you miss it, you miss nothing.

Infinite
The film was a better premise than realised. Needed more action, but it was passable. I think you know if you can enjoy this kind of film or not before watching.

SAS: Rise of the Black Swan
B grade production level, but it wasn't bad. It was entertaining for what it was. I could see people thinking it was absolute shite, but I found it entertaining enough. If they adapt any more books in the series I wouldn't hesitate to watch.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Boring.

How was the swan in the movie?

How was the swan in the movie?

It's definitely B grade, made for TV level kind of action film. It's not slickly produced like many other Netflix action films. It's not big budget and it shows. I feel that people should already know if they can enjoy this kind of film. Not get hung up on any plot holes or issues. I was entertained. Yet I could see people not getting past issues and calling it dumb / bad. Although those people would also be idiots.

It's definitely B grade, made for TV level kind of action film. It's not slickly produced like many other Netflix action films. It's not big budget and it shows. I feel that people should already know if they can enjoy this kind of film. Not get hung up on any plot holes or issues. I was entertained. Yet I could see people not getting past issues and calling it dumb / bad. Although those people would also be idiots.

Geez there are some awful movies around at the moment.

Geez there are some awful movies around at the moment.

I wonder if some of the films being dumped onto streaming these days were just kind of abandoned during post-production or filming. Once they realised they weren't getting a theatrical release. They slashed the budget. So everything gets a lower level of polish. Lower budget for everything to complete the movie. Possibly with sequences not finished or included.

Back