Skip to main content

Last movie you saw

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

I don't get the bad reviews for this. The film was legitimately really entertaining, really inventive, didn't re-tread anything, had amazing visuals and effects work. Genuinely entertaining, funny and fun. To me it seems that a lot of reviews read as if they were written with out seeing the film based on bad expectations because it legitimately is good for the fifth film in the franchise and quite possibly the best sequel. After Four I was a bit.. eh.. on the franchise but now I look forward to any potential sequel as they clearly have found out what worked.

Do you think that the critics might have been influenced by sequel fatigue and reports of Depp's bad behavior on the Gold Coast?

Do you think that the critics might have been influenced by sequel fatigue and reports of Depp's bad behavior on the Gold Coast?

Oh I totally think they had pre-determined opinions on Depp, the Jack Sparrow Character, the film, the effects and probably pre-wrote a lot of their reviews. They were never going to write a good review for this Franchise which features Depp who has spent a lot of his leading man good will on playing weird characters. These are effects heavy films and so the whole, "so much CGI" but honestly it's a case of knowing it must be CGI but a lot of the work is outstanding and no idea if they used a lot of practical effects, elements and models. Besides some stuff which is clearly fanciful locations, it looks great and there seems to be a lot of practical effects or damn good effects.

It's a franchise which kind of lost it's way, was never bad but became a symbol of current hollywood excess for sequels, going bigger and bigger. You read reviews saying "choked to death with expensive CGI." Yet so much of the work is seamless, it's not a complaint and it is not anywhere near as excessive as past films.

I also suspect reviewers probably have fallen into that trap of having a fictionalised memory of the previous films and the franchise.

Oh I totally think they had pre-determined opinions on Depp, the Jack Sparrow Character, the film, the effects and probably pre-wrote a lot of their reviews. They were never going to write a good review for this Franchise which features Depp who has spent a lot of his leading man good will on playing weird characters. These are effects heavy films and so the whole, "so much CGI" but honestly it's a case of knowing it must be CGI but a lot of the work is outstanding and no idea if they used a lot of practical effects, elements and models. Besides some stuff which is clearly fanciful locations, it looks great and there seems to be a lot of practical effects or damn good effects.

It's a franchise which kind of lost it's way, was never bad but became a symbol of current hollywood excess for sequels, going bigger and bigger. You read reviews saying "choked to death with expensive CGI." Yet so much of the work is seamless, it's not a complaint and it is not anywhere near as excessive as past films.

I also suspect reviewers probably have fallen into that trap of having a fictionalised memory of the previous films and the franchise.

Yeah reviewers complaining about cgi are silly. I might have to watch the movie. Or wonder woman. That movie has been getting some great reviews.

I can't wait to see Wonder Woman it sounds great....

Movie lovers are you watching David Stratton's new movie series?

Just caught part 2, going to find part 1 - because this series is divine.

David Stratton's Stories Of Australian Cinema

'Outsiders'

ABC, 8:30pm, Tue, 13 Jun 2017, 60 minutes

ON NOW NEW SHOW

Part 2 celebrates the outsiders of Australian cinema: be it newcomers in They're A Weird Mob & Wake In Fright or locals out of step with the mainstream in Evil Angels, Muriel's Wedding & Priscilla.

And from clips he showed, I am going to find Walkabout the movie, and couple of others he featured.

Critics don't hate Jack Sparrow
Re Jack Sparrow - the original got some love, I think Depp was nominated for an Oscar (yep just checked); and he won plenty of awards for the first movie

I can't wait to see Wonder Woman it sounds great....

Movie lovers are you watching David Stratton's new movie series?

Just caught part 2, going to find part 1 - because this series is divine.

David Stratton's Stories Of Australian Cinema

'Outsiders'

ABC, 8:30pm, Tue, 13 Jun 2017, 60 minutes

ON NOW NEW SHOW

Part 2 celebrates the outsiders of Australian cinema: be it newcomers in They're A Weird Mob & Wake In Fright or locals out of step with the mainstream in Evil Angels, Muriel's Wedding & Priscilla.

And from clips he showed, I am going to find Walkabout the movie, and couple of others he featured.

Critics don't hate Jack Sparrow
Re Jack Sparrow - the original got some love, I think Depp was nominated for an Oscar (yep just checked); and he won plenty of awards for the first movie

There are six movies associated with the show currently available on iview, including Walkabout.[DOUBLEPOST=1497447915][/DOUBLEPOST]
Watched Wonder Woman. What a wonderful film.

Would Trump like it?

Reactions: kxk
I think Depp's grown unattractive, that's his main problem.

Though his movies over the last ten years are generally not great.

Depp midlife crisis an he turned into a dickhead, maybe he always was, anyway - as soon as he left his French wife, fell into dickhead hole. Mid life crisis mean are very unattractive, same with Harrison Ford an his regular plane mishaps attitude - he also left a long suffering good wife.
Used to love Depp, now he is a caricature of his former self.

There are six movies associated with the show currently available on iview, including Walkabout.[DOUBLEPOST=1497447915][/DOUBLEPOST]

Fantastic show isn't it, and I discovered those treasures doing my searches.
And stumbled upon Children of the Wind......OMG what a beautiful doco/film......made me cry it is sooooooooo beautiful, watch it on SBS/NITV website.

Children of the Wind tells the story of the Bonaire windsurfers, a group of native kids, who under the remarkable mentorship of Elvis Martinus, founder of the Bonaire Aquaspeed windsurfing club, overcame insuperable odds to not only dominate an inherently elitist sport but to revolutionize it.

cotwawards.png

The film focuses on brothers Tonky and Taty Frans and their cousin Kiri who come from a poor fishing family and began windsurfing before the age of ten, using whatever broken or discarded equipment they could scrounge, and who are now, twenty years later, global superstars.
cotw-photo-boy-900x509.jpg

Tonky, Taty and Kiri burst onto the international scene in 2001 when, along with thirty or so other Bonaire sailors, they attended windsurfing’s North American Championship in Florida. Given the island’s economic status, just getting to Florida was an achievement in itself. Once there, they caused a sensation, taking home twenty trophies between them. Given that Bonaire has a population of under 15,000 and had, at the time, no way to fund formal training facilities, provide equipment or pay for travel to events, this accomplishment was simply astonishing.

The Frans brothers and Kiri are now among the top five freestyle windsurfers in the world and have become local heroes
on their island. More remarkable: Bonaire continues to produce young champions at every age category of the ProKids World Championship, which started on the island. Set against the backdrop of the 2011 Freestyle Windsurfing World Cup on Bonaire, ‘Children of the Wind’ is an exciting tale of kids who refused to be defined by the limits of their circumstance, and consequently transformed a sport.

Last night I watched Life - a bit of an Alien rip-off - meh. Not recommended.

A team of scientists aboard the International Space Station discover a rapidly evolving life form, that caused extinction on Mars, and now threatens the crew and all life on Earth.

The Muppets Take Manhattan: The soul of neo-realistic Italian Cinema combined with the heart of French New Wave cinema come together in this brilliant work of art that examines the philosophical questions in life.

Get Smart- It was ok. Anne Hathaway was like a level above everyone else though.

The Intern- Charming. Anne Hathaway and Robert De Niro bringing their charm to this gentle comedy.

Dunkirk

It was good and well done for what it was. However you got no sense of scape or scope of what was going on. Just some scenes following some characters and the score often did the heavy lifting of creating a sense of tension. I don't think it'd hold up as well on the small screen. For something which is not a story but an exercise in showing some different perspectives, it should have been better.

Baby Driver

I didn't like the main character, the love story relationship just happened. Very inconsistent in tone but entertaining to watch.

War of the Planet of the Apes

Another film which is very well made, but the script lets it down hard. Don't be fooled by the title, this is not a film about War or a battle for the Planet of the Apes. A lot just happens by convenience. The apes, the scenes, the effects, the acting and everything is all well done. It is just badly written in how it gets from one plot point and event to another. After the beginning of the film, what happens generally isn't a consequence of a choice any character has made. I think the rave reviews are more for how well done it all is, overlooking or not caring the story is poorly written.

I enjoyed the film quite a lot, but it really stood out to me these scripting issues with the story. May not be an issue for many, because it's well done and despite a few things. You aren't sitting there going, "this is a problem." It's entertaining.

Dunkirk

It was good and well done for what it was. However you got no sense of scape or scope of what was going on. Just some scenes following some characters and the score often did the heavy lifting of creating a sense of tension. I don't think it'd hold up as well on the small screen. For something which is not a story but an exercise in showing some different perspectives, it should have been better.

Baby Driver

I didn't like the main character, the love story relationship just happened. Very inconsistent in tone but entertaining to watch.

War of the Planet of the Apes

Another film which is very well made, but the script lets it down hard. Don't be fooled by the title, this is not a film about War or a battle for the Planet of the Apes. A lot just happens by convenience. The apes, the scenes, the effects, the acting and everything is all well done. It is just badly written in how it gets from one plot point and event to another. After the beginning of the film, what happens generally isn't a consequence of a choice any character has made. I think the rave reviews are more for how well done it all is, overlooking or not caring the story is poorly written.

I enjoyed the film quite a lot, but it really stood out to me these scripting issues with the story. May not be an issue for many, because it's well done and despite a few things. You aren't sitting there going, "this is a problem." It's entertaining.

What do you think of Christopher Nolan as a director?

What do you think of Christopher Nolan as a director?

Umm, he's got good ideas, good intentions, goes to extra lengths which pay off. However he is overrated because he often does silly things. He's the sort of guy that'll make a 95% excellent film but the other 5% is often crap decisions.

I don't remember much about Momento.

Loved Batman Begins, but some stuff is clunky.

The Dark Knight is excellent but it's not perfection or anything. It's kind of two films in one, could have been better as two film. He needed a better second unit director for the action.

The Dark Knight Rises, only saw it once and honestly it bored me and didn't make much sense. Seemed to me that Nolan over stretched the plot and ideas. I should revisit it, but have zero desire to. To me it feels like he wrote a long treatment for a film with some ideas. Then never worked on it to be leaner, better or make more sense. It was really disappointing to me. It's one of those films I think anyone who says it's good or liked it is just saying that because they think they should due to the firs two.

Only seen Prestige once but absolutely loved it.

Inception was also outstanding and it's a fairly perfect film. However I think the concept kind of covered some of Nolan's issues. Seen it a few times and should watch again.

Interstellar, now I am a bit sci-fi fan and somewhat of a space geek. It's the sort of film that seemed like everything I'd want and I liked Nolan enough and had faith in him. I liked a lot of the film, the guy can direct some great scenes, some emotional scenes but he dropped the ball at a few points which kind of ruined the film for me. Lots of individual parts and scenes I like, but there's just little bits where he just didn't give a crap about being accurate to science or visuals. Takes short cuts in the plots and science. I hated the whole love navigates time and space aspect. It was too jarring for what was meant to be a hard science fiction film. I don't think he balanced accurate sci-fi with fantasy sci-fi.

One thing that took me right out of Interstellar and it may sound dumb, but that big underground NASA facility with a Saturn V in the middle. Makes no sense. Why is it a Saturn V? It seems Nolan just liked the visual. Why is it in the middle of an office building? He liked the visual. He then shows it taking off from a distance, he likes the visual. However that building which later became a giant space station???? That would be destroyed if a rocket took off in it. Then the little space craft which was cool separates and flies on it's way. Later it is landing and taking off from planets, navigating around black holes. Operating from planets with more gravity than earth and so forth. Why did they need a massive rocket if it was more than capable of just taking off as is? Nolan wanted the visual over making sense. He wanted Apollo nostalgia where there didn't need to be any. I think he lets things he things are cool ideas get in the way of reason.

Like with Dunkirk, he gets it set in his head to use little to no CGI, to use real locations. As a result it doesn't capture the full scale of the event and it's distracting to have modern buildings and structures in the film. How can you want to be so accurate and not care that in the background you have cranes that weren't invented yet. Once again, not an issue for everyone but just an example of the weird choices he makes. "Being Batman must take a tole on the body, lets show that! Batman's knees are fucked and he can barely walk. Cool idea. Oh shit, how does he actually be Batman then? Fuck it, a leg brace and then we just forget about it. Oh Bane broke Batman's back in the comics, lets put that in. Oh but then how does he do the rest of the film? Fuck it, his back is fixed."

Umm, he's got good ideas, good intentions, goes to extra lengths which pay off. However he is overrated because he often does silly things. He's the sort of guy that'll make a 95% excellent film but the other 5% is often crap decisions.

I don't remember much about Momento.

Loved Batman Begins, but some stuff is clunky.

The Dark Knight is excellent but it's not perfection or anything. It's kind of two films in one, could have been better as two film. He needed a better second unit director for the action.

The Dark Knight Rises, only saw it once and honestly it bored me and didn't make much sense. Seemed to me that Nolan over stretched the plot and ideas. I should revisit it, but have zero desire to. To me it feels like he wrote a long treatment for a film with some ideas. Then never worked on it to be leaner, better or make more sense. It was really disappointing to me. It's one of those films I think anyone who says it's good or liked it is just saying that because they think they should due to the firs two.

Only seen Prestige once but absolutely loved it.

Inception was also outstanding and it's a fairly perfect film. However I think the concept kind of covered some of Nolan's issues. Seen it a few times and should watch again.

Interstellar, now I am a bit sci-fi fan and somewhat of a space geek. It's the sort of film that seemed like everything I'd want and I liked Nolan enough and had faith in him. I liked a lot of the film, the guy can direct some great scenes, some emotional scenes but he dropped the ball at a few points which kind of ruined the film for me. Lots of individual parts and scenes I like, but there's just little bits where he just didn't give a crap about being accurate to science or visuals. Takes short cuts in the plots and science. I hated the whole love navigates time and space aspect. It was too jarring for what was meant to be a hard science fiction film. I don't think he balanced accurate sci-fi with fantasy sci-fi.

One thing that took me right out of Interstellar and it may sound dumb, but that big underground NASA facility with a Saturn V in the middle. Makes no sense. Why is it a Saturn V? It seems Nolan just liked the visual. Why is it in the middle of an office building? He liked the visual. He then shows it taking off from a distance, he likes the visual. However that building which later became a giant space station???? That would be destroyed if a rocket took off in it. Then the little space craft which was cool separates and flies on it's way. Later it is landing and taking off from planets, navigating around black holes. Operating from planets with more gravity than earth and so forth. Why did they need a massive rocket if it was more than capable of just taking off as is? Nolan wanted the visual over making sense. He wanted Apollo nostalgia where there didn't need to be any. I think he lets things he things are cool ideas get in the way of reason.

Like with Dunkirk, he gets it set in his head to use little to no CGI, to use real locations. As a result it doesn't capture the full scale of the event and it's distracting to have modern buildings and structures in the film. How can you want to be so accurate and not care that in the background you have cranes that weren't invented yet. Once again, not an issue for everyone but just an example of the weird choices he makes. "Being Batman must take a tole on the body, lets show that! Batman's knees are fucked and he can barely walk. Cool idea. Oh shit, how does he actually be Batman then? Fuck it, a leg brace and then we just forget about it. Oh Bane broke Batman's back in the comics, lets put that in. Oh but then how does he do the rest of the film? Fuck it, his back is fixed."

Good analysis.

I have seen his batman trilogy. Can't remember much about Batman Begins. The Dark Knight was a different story. The death of Heath Ledger plus the rave reviews that he had received for portraying the Joker meant that the film was very hyped. And Heath Ledger certainly delivered. He was superb. As for the movie I enjoyed it the first time I watched it. But subsequent viewings have kind of left it less enjoyable to me. I think because once you have watched the movie and the Joker's plan the whole movie becomes a bit boring. Plus the fact that Rachael Dawes was kind of a wasted character didn't help. I actually preferred the two face origin story in the batman animated series to the one in The Dark Knight. The Dark Knight Rises was a huge mess. The only saving grace being Anne Hathaway. It was marred by clunky social commentary and stupid twists. The only lesson I got out of that movie is the Gotham police department would have to be the worst in America.

Back