Skip to main content

In praise of Seven

Brekkie

Staff member
Whilst there is no doubt that should Big Brother have a future in Australia it needs to be away from Channel 7 and it needs to be live that's not to say there aren't things to learn from Channel 7, so thought I'd start a list of all the things Seven have done well.

If we base it on other broadcaster's opinions, Channel 7 did well with their on-air design. Quite a few international versions based their on-air design on Seven's first season and just replaced the eye and sometimes the font that says Big Brother. Portugal in particular has been very fond of the Australian presentation. They based on of their houses on 7's first house and even adapted 7's pink Big Brother design.

And while Australia is not the first country where Big Brother spoke to housemates in the first person, the UK certainly took that inspiration from Australia. Also their intro was heavily inspired by Seven's approach to the show.

As a guy who's spent some time in After Effects, Premiere Pro, Foundry Nuke and Illustrator back in the day, I can appreciate some of the motion design elements that they have introduced. As an aside, while I am not particularly fond of most of the overused music there are certain elements of it that are stuck in my head.

But the problem is the repetitiveness decreases the dramatic effect, cause now you can anticipate dramatic moments way before they happen cause the music kind of gives it away. I know you can shuffle some sections and futz around with things in the edit (especially if you have the multitrack/stems) to make it less predictable but there are only so many iterations of a certain music track you can keep shuffling around.

Whilst there is no doubt that should Big Brother have a future in Australia it needs to be away from Channel 7 and it needs to be live that's not to say there aren't things to learn from Channel 7, so thought I'd start a list of all the things Seven have done well.

1. Bring some form of Big Brother back in the first place despite it being canned on two other rival networks.
2. Take steps to modernize the format to reflect 2020s media consumption habits.

Seven's first house in North Head had a clever effect by angling the camera run mirrors, reflecting a pattern from the window ledge. It looked a bit nicer than a reflection of a cluttered room (BBUS) or a warped infinity tunnel (BBCan). The mirrorless windows of fabric in the garden on the other hand……

Last edited:
1. Bring some form of Big Brother back in the first place despite it being canned on two other rival networks.
2. Take steps to modernize the format to reflect 2020s media consumption habits.
What has Channel seven done to modernise the format to reflect the 2020's media consumption habits?

Seriously, with (1) they butchered the format and viewers deserted it in droves; and with (2) they did what?

Shortening the episode length this season has been a positive. No ones needs 70 to 80 minute run times of this version of BB. Bringing back uncut was also a positive.

Apart from that....they've done almost everything else wrong.

Shortening the episode length this season has been a positive. No ones needs 70 to 80 minute run times of this version of BB. Bringing back uncut was also a positive.

Apart from that....they've done almost everything else wrong.
Pretty sure the 2nd episode tonight is at least 70 minutes as it goes for 1hr 25 mins with ads. So wild, given the finale on Wednesday is also scheduled for the same amount of time.

I'm trying to remember who it was that actually said in Seven's version, the producers would get HMs to re-enact stuff. That scene with Josh and the bread he took out of the oven in Uncut was obviously one of those situations. Should really watch more critically to try and spot the fake takes.

And considering the view is the TikTok generation has shorter attention spans I don't get how going from 20 minute daily shows to 70-90 minutee episodes is making the show for this generation. Is it because there is only two minutes of worthwhile content per episode?

And considering the view is the TikTok generation has shorter attention spans I don't get how going from 20 minute daily shows to 70-90 minutee episodes is making the show for this generation. Is it because there is only two minutes of worthwhile content per episode?
It's called lazy programming and all commercial networks in Australia are guilty of it. They would rather extend existing shows than have to create extra programming to fill their timeslots.

It's called lazy programming and all commercial networks in Australia are guilty of it. They would rather extend existing shows than have to create extra programming to fill their timeslots.
you can thank strict economic protectionism (strict australian content regulations) for this...

sped up format (evictions once every second day instead of once every week).
they may have tried to hit the mark but the numbers are showing that they are not reaching the market they are aiming for, and they have lost the market that was there so it is is a risk that has not paid off for them, so not really worthy of praise in my opinion.

Back