Skip to main content

Episode I'm A Celebrity! AU (2015) - Episode Discussion

You have not taken notice that I said he had earned and therefore deserved respect after I corrected my choice of deserve over earn in the first comment I made. Yes, we can disagree and should disagree but while you are more in someone's face in your disagreeing I tend to go the other way and me saying what I said was my version of a little bit of sarcasm or facetiousness.
Oh but I have.

As I said, while I see what you are saying, in this instant I disagree.

I am more surprised by your continued passive aggressive digs at me while talking to someone else.

Give me up front and direct over elusive passive aggressive stabs when it comes to effective communication any day of the week.

I guess while I have you though, could you perhaps explain what you meant by this comment?

All the best with finding a home that fits the bill.

I have never been great at deciphering online facetiousness or sarcasm, so I have no idea what you are really trying to say to me. However judging by the stab at me when you were replying to another poster 5 posts later, I can only assume it's negative.

I was more offended by the "woman" than the idle threat which I felt got an over reaction ... I thought at first Chrissie was reacting to the "woman" then saw others pick up on the violence aspect ... then it became an issue because they suddenly felt fear? it was almost as if it snowballed via chinese whispers around the camp.

I think you hit the nail on the head, ie the Chinese whispers causing an outraged snow ball affect. As people we like to whisper in an outraged manner in a private corner, that doesn't mean we want to lynch the person we are whispering about, it just means we are naughty and enjoy gossip.

Good people sometimes behave badly, and this has been hugely evident when watching Joel's, Chrissy's, Lauren's and Merve's behaviours and responses on the show. That is what makes the show.

To me that just makes them interesting and flawed human beings who sometimes speak before they think.

I am currently watching the show now, and the support Merv gives Chrissy during her moments of hardship during the food challenge is so heart warming.

They really are a lovely bunch.

Quote of the day: it was an ostrich anus, and I just couldn't do it... you could clearly see it was someone's anus - Chrissy Swan

Oh but I have.

As I said, while I see what you are saying, in this instant I disagree.

I am more surprised by your continued passive aggressive digs at me while talking to someone else.

Give me up front and direct over elusive passive aggressive stabs when it comes to effective communication any day of the week.

I guess while I have you though, could you perhaps explain what you meant by this comment?

I have never been great at deciphering online facetiousness or sarcasm, so I have no idea what you are really trying to say to me. However judging by the stab at me when you were replying to another poster 5 posts later, I can only assume it's negative.
Aren't you looking for another home now that you have a home loan? I was wishing you well in your search. I am sorry for the dig. I have been drawn into some really ridiculous snide stuff at work in recent days and it has rubbed off.

Here's something to chuck in the midst of this respect earned vs deserved debate

I disagree that respect should be earned.

I think we should respect. Full stop. If they 'earn' a loss of respect, that's when they need to work to earn respect back again, or to rebuild it. I dont like the ego implied behind the 'you need to EARN my respect' attitude. I know that's 'gone' with the Downton Abbey generation, I think that's sad.

My 2c :)

Oh I have no idea about this Joel and Merv thing, I've been flat out and haven't watched the show in 2 weeks now. :-(

Aren't you looking for another home now that you have a home loan? I was wishing you well in your search. I am sorry for the dig. I have been drawn into some really ridiculous snide stuff at work in recent days and it has rubbed off.
That's okay.

Sorry if I upset you. I am an over opinionated pain in the arse at times. I need to learn to sprinkle my opinions with a bit of sugar to make them sweeter before I press Post Reply.

Thanks for your well wishes. I really appriecate it.

:)

I think respect should be earnt. I can't respect someone until I have gotten to know them more than just seeing them as a face or name. I don't think it is an ego thing, but rather a trust thing as I believe respect and trust are closely interwined in that if you trust someone then you would respect them as well.

I think respect should be earnt. I can't respect someone until I have gotten to know them more than just seeing them as a face or name. I don't think it is an ego thing, but rather a trust thing as I believe respect and trust are closely interwined in that if you trust someone then you would respect them as well.
I should justify what I mean.

I think there's probably a few slightly differing definitions of respect.

If you're talking about admiring someone for their personality, skills and abilities, well sure that needs to be earned simply because until you actually know or see those qualities you can't know or respect that in someone.

I just think we should have due regard for people to begin with. I guess in some ways I think about it as opposed to people needing to 'bank' respect points with me to earn due regard, they automatically have it. I want to respect everyone in this way. If you do something to lose my respect by personally offending or hurting me or making me lose trust in you then that relationship needs to be rebuilt.

Does that makes sense?

I guess I've just heard people whom I barely know say or say to me that I needed to earn their respect, they weren't going to show due regard unless it's earnt. It's as if everyone in their books starts off at the lowest level of respect (in fact, disrespected) until earned.
My reaction to that is to not want their respect anyway. Who are you to demand I work for your due regard?

I think it's sad that society has shifted in thinking in this area.

I know many people disagree with me, and that's fine. I respect their choice.

That's okay.

Sorry if I upset you. I am an over opinionated pain in the arse at times. I need to learn to sprinkle my opinions with a bit of sugar to make them sweeter before I press Post Reply.

Thanks for your well wishes. I really appriecate it.

:)
All is good then. I can be a tad passive at times but when I get my blood up I get sarcastic. On here, as you well know it's not my nature to arc up much.

Reactions: Tee
I should justify what I mean.

I think there's probably a few slightly differing definitions of respect.

If you're talking about admiring someone for their personality, skills and abilities, well sure that needs to be earned simply because until you actually know or see those qualities you can't know or respect that in someone.

I just think we should have due regard for people to begin with. I guess in some ways I think about it as opposed to people needing to 'bank' respect points with me to earn due regard, they automatically have it. I want to respect everyone in this way. If you do something to lose my respect by personally offending or hurting me or making me lose trust in you then that relationship needs to be rebuilt.

Does that makes sense?
perfect sense to me - I really hate it when my adult son tells me he's NOT going to respect someone just because they are his elder and more experienced than he is - they have to earn HIS respect ... with an attitude like that I don't think he'll earn the respect of others. I just don't see it.

Like you I want to start out showing respect for all - a bit like the old "do unto others" ... we want others to respect us - so why wouldn't we at least start on a high note - if they want to tear it down through their actions/words so be it - but at least it started out well :)

Here's something to chuck in the midst of this respect earned vs deserved debate

I disagree that respect should be earned.

I think we should respect. Full stop. If they 'earn' a loss of respect, that's when they need to work to earn respect back again, or to rebuild it. I dont like the ego implied behind the 'you need to EARN my respect' attitude. I know that's 'gone' with the Downton Abbey generation, I think that's sad.

My 2c :)

Oh I have no idea about this Joel and Merv thing, I've been flat out and haven't watched the show in 2 weeks now. :-(
In a world where farts smell like Skittles - that view would be perfect; but sadly that's not the real world.

I judge you on your words and your actions. We as people should be judged on our actions. The knock on effect to that judgment is respect or there lack of. You abuse children - you lose my respect, you abuse women - you lose my respect. You join a pack mentality to bully or ridicule - you lose my respect. You have sex in the drive thru at Maccas - RESPECT baby.

To be fair, I don't think anyone responds positively or respectfully to a person who has the type of attitude which implies "you need to EARN my respect" . Respect is a gift, not a right, it is a necessary human response when weighing up a persons attributes or there lack of.

In the Downton era, chambermaids had to curtsy when facing their abuser based on that "he is Lord and therefore I must respect" mindset. I for one am glad we are free of it.

For the record if respect was measured by Nana's infected berries - when it comes to you and Khun and this discussion - I would so have Hep A right now.

You are both lovely people and definitely have my respect.

perfect sense to me - I really hate it when my adult son tells me he's NOT going to respect someone just because they are his elder and more experienced than he is - they have to earn HIS respect ... with an attitude like that I don't think he'll earn the respect of others. I just don't see it.

Like you I want to start out showing respect for all - a bit like the old "do unto others" ... we want others to respect us - so why wouldn't we at least start on a high note - if they want to tear it down through their actions/words so be it - but at least it started out well :)
Yeah it's the ego behind the "you need to earn my respect" statement that I feel is a sad state of current society.

Have to admit there was no way I was going to watch this show ... then I caught a few minutes of Ms Morris and Dr Chris ... and felt justified in my earlier decision ... then well ok = there's not a lot on tv these days and life gets busy ... so last night I had some time to just plonk on the sofa and turn on the tv and flicking from channel to channel I ended up watching it ... I loved watching Chrissie's facial expressions during the upchucker/tucker test ... and seeing how determined on that last one that she WOULD eat the chicken foot since Merv had eaten the head (how kind of them to say he didn't need to eat the beak!! brains, eyes, squishy bits, feathers YES .. beak NO ... gee whiz - thanks guys!! Yummmmm!!!
so now I'm cursing busy stuff is on again tonight and I can't watch it!!

In a world where farts smell like Skittles - that view would be perfect; but sadly that's not the real world.

I judge you on your words and your actions. We as people should be judged on our actions. The knock on effect to that judgment is respect or there lack of. You abuse children - you lose my respect, you abuse women - you lose my respect. You join a pack mentality to bully or ridicule - you lose my respect. You have sex in the drive thru at Maccas - RESPECT baby.

To be fair, I don't think anyone responds positively or respectfully to a person who has the type of attitude which implies "you need to EARN my respect" . Respect is a gift, not a right, it is a necessary human response when weighing up a persons attributes or there lack of.

In the Downton era, chambermaids had to curtsy when facing their abuser based on that "he is Lord and therefore I must respect" mindset. I for one am glad we are free of it.

For the record if respect was measured by Nana's infected berries - when it comes to you and Khun and this discussion - I would so have Hep A right now.

I agree with you totally on those actions causing a loss of respect.

I'm also very well aware that's it's not the real world. I think it would be a better world if it were like it. Not the curtesy to an abuser, but starting from a place of respect.

:) I respect you and your opinion too Tra :)

Reactions: Tee
I should have also said that I have never watched Downton Abbey. So I didn't know exactly what you were referring to @Trala !! Oops. Fatal error. Lol!
I just meant that once upon a time people did have more respect for others.

I guess I like to think I start off showing respect to someone but its not permanent ... you scuff dem shoes you're going to have to buff them up to get them all nice and shiney again ... I'm not saying you have to show people respect no matter what - it IS a gift - but one that should be given freely at first instance ... but cross the line and you've lost it .. and 2nd time around I'm not giving it away for free ...

hmmmmmmmm

ok I think I should reword that - but stuff it - it'll get a few smiles :)

I agree with most of what's been said here, in context and nuance except to add:

I think respect is a more fluid currency these days, and when push comes to shove, I believe it does increase over and above a 'normal' baseline, by indeed being earned for want of a better term. Someone who doesn't give a shit about cricket may be unlikely to respect Merv off the bat, while others may respect him greatly. But he may earn respect along the way. There are also degrees of respect.

When people take responsibility for their actions, I think it's is worthy of respect, but that is an entirely personal thing.

Trust and respect? You can respect some one, but not trust them. As in they often may go together, but not always.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with most of what's been said here, in context and nuance except to add:

I think respect is a more fluid currency these days, and when push comes to shove, I believe it does increase over and above a 'normal' baseline, by indeed being earned for want of a better term. Someone who doesn't give a shit about cricket may be unlikely to respect Merv off the bat, while others may respect him greatly. But he may earn respect along the way. There are also degrees of respect.

When people take responsibility for their actions, I think it's is worthy of respect, but that is an entirely personal thing.

Trust and respect? You can respect some one, but not trust them. As in they often may go together, but not always.

if I don't trust someone I certainly am not respecting them either ... if there's something shifty about them that sets off alarm bells for me so that I don't trust them ... nope ... definitely not feeling the respect either ...

if I don't trust someone I certainly am not respecting them either ... if there's something shifty about them that sets off alarm bells for me so that I don't trust them ... nope ... definitely not feeling the respect either ...
I generally agree, except to say, in some instances, I think it's possible to respect some things that some of the housemates have done for example, but it doesn't mean that very same person is necessarily worthy of trust.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they just highlighted the Merv thing and not the Joel thing because Hi5 had gotten out and was giving some corker quotes about how outrageously inappropriate and out of line etcMerv was to various journos - saw a piece in the Daily Mail online, and some other shit somewhere else, probably Newscorp - so perhaps they then felt the need to explain her comments with some footage? Anyway...

Back