Skip to main content

If Channel 10 bought back BBAU...

Along with some of my earlier comments I’d also like the show to be seen as a bit edgy… Flirting controversy by casting BBAU’s first official transgender HM or even better HM’s, increasing representation for BIPOC and other LGBTQI+ people, and anything else that could lead to the show being labeled “woke”.
It would be depressing if a transgender HM was seen as controversial. Even BBUSA managed that with relative little fuss, which is how it should be. Increased representation is a must, as is a relateable cast - that's where real jobs, single mums, country folk etc. somewhat helps rather than "influencer" people. I wouldn't put a blanket ban on so called influencers but it shouldn't be what their entire personality is all about (i.e. the Sisters!).

I'd like to see the days of tokenism finally come to an end in Australian Reality TV shows. No more having the one token gay guy ect. Throw four, five and six in. The only scary thing about it is having people from minority groups reveals a lot of the backwards views some Australians still have today.

I'd like to see the days of tokenism finally come to an end in Australian Reality TV shows. No more having the one token gay guy ect. Throw four, five and six in. The only scary thing about it is having people from minority groups reveals a lot of the backwards views some Australians still have today.
That was good about BBUK this year at least.

That's from the non-BB bigots though. Luckily the algorithms blocked most of that for me (along with not engaging with the Facebook fans at all) - for true fans it wasn't an issue and helped Hallie or the HMs (other than Farida's clumsy comment) never made it an issue.

I'd like to see some political activists in the house as well. People who actually care about things others than themselves and body counts like half the lot from the latest seasons. If they can find a religious nutter who isn't obviously bigoted I'd be ok with that as well. Obviously you'd need the live stream back or else it wouldn't really matter, but yeah get some people who are gonna stir up some viewers would be good too.

That's from the non-BB bigots though. Luckily the algorithms blocked most of that for me (along with not engaging with the Facebook fans at all) - for true fans it wasn't an issue and helped Hallie or the HMs (other than Farida's clumsy comment) never made it an issue.
I think you missed the point I was making… I’d already said those who scream the loudest have never watched the show and likely never would. What I’m really attempting to have the show do is play with the idea that all press is good press and get people talking about it again without realizing what they’re doing. Australia is generally more socially conservative so including a trans HM is likely to attract more attention than it did in the UK. Especially if like Hallie (or like BB6’s David coming out) it’s not immediately revealed.

I'd like to see some political activists in the house as well. People who actually care about things others than themselves and body counts like half the lot from the latest seasons. If they can find a religious nutter who isn't obviously bigoted I'd be ok with that as well. Obviously you'd need the live stream back or else it wouldn't really matter, but yeah get some people who are gonna stir up some viewers would be good too.
To me I just want people with opinions on what is happening in the world and why, that they are willing to discuss and debate.

To me I just want people with opinions on what is happening in the world and why, that they are willing to discuss and debate.
But do you also want Big Brother to be an escape from that - so much TV nowadays is people with entrenched ill-informed opinions shouting at each other.

It doesn't mean you can't put people in with opposing political views though- BBUK did that with the expectation they would clash. They became best friends.

Last edited:
But do you also want Big Brother to be an escape from that - so much TV nowadays is people with entrenched ill-informed opinions shouting at each other.

It doesn't mean you can't put people in with opposing political views though- BBUK did that clean the expectation they would clash. They became best friends.
I guess I was thinking that political activists are less likely to listen to another point of view and just be entrenched, where someone a little less extreme than that may still be open to having the discussion and hearing someone else's point of view, even if they have strong views. Maybe I was just coming from my own way of thinking though.

I guess I was thinking that political activists are less likely to listen to another point of view and just be entrenched, where someone a little less extreme than that may still be open to having the discussion and hearing someone else's point of view, even if they have strong views. Maybe I was just coming from my own way of thinking though.
the best example of this is the polarising/heated debate around gender affirming healthcare for trans kids in the USA.

dems be like: vulnerable trans kids are dieing because reps are denying them access to life saving medical care.
reps be like: vulnerable trans kids are being experimented on because dems are filling them up with toxic hormones.

Meanwhile Europe has (thankfully) taken a more middle ground here, trying to address the (valid) concerns from both sides of the political asile.

It doesn't mean you can't put people in with opposing political views though- BBUK did that with the expectation they would clash. They became best friends.
IDK the most recent series of BBUK became a bit tedious when all the HM’s fought about was food.

for me personally when I hear housemates discuss real life events and discuss politics it makes it feel more real to me. Hearing several Australian survivor contestants talk about how the pandemic hurt them reminded me these are real people who experience the same things I do.

But of course, I also do enjoy a healthy amount of drama from simple things that occur in the house as well.

for me personally when I hear housemates discuss real life events and discuss politics it makes it feel more real to me. Hearing several Australian survivor contestants talk about how the pandemic hurt them reminded me these are real people who experience the same things I do.

But of course, I also do enjoy a healthy amount of drama from simple things that occur in the house as well.
BB being a social experiment at its roots means in a way it will reflect real life while also putting HM’s through an unrealistic game show antics.

The problem at the moment is that everyone has a tiny microphone with social media and so everything will be said in regards to what is on the show. Then those with large microphones can come along, selectively pick and choose and construct outrage designed to piss people off and create division. Where people pre-dispose that anyone that can be seen as vaguely associated with the views of the bad people are the bad people. So there can be no civil discourse.

What was really interesting about that segment about politics from the 08 live feeds that someone posted on here earlier this year was how other than Brigette every other housemate was actually pretty engaged in the conversation. Even someone like Rory who you probably wouldn't have expected. Obviously Rima and Bianca were driving a lot of it but it was miles more interesting than anything we've seen since probably the 2013 season...and yet 08 is often considered the weakest of the 10 era.

2008 though did cast a much wider range of people than the previous three seasons at least. Apart from the odd exception the bulk of the 2005-2007 casting really wasn't hugely different to the last Seven season - although the format back then at least tried to bring a bit more out of them.

Back