Skip to main content

I am beginning to think Lina considers Australians to be beneath her.....

I didn't think Lina was saying Chinese culture was superior. I think she was just talking about cultural differences because it is interesting (to me at least. Probably not to Skye). What she was saying about a chinese culture is true. Most Asian cultures are far less individualistic than western cultures.

As far as Lina being too prudish, it is hard to say. Channel 9 had not shown any relevant footage so it is impossible to judge whether the humour was too far in the gutter.

i am now a bigger prude than Lina

I think it would be hard/strange for anyone who grew up in a different country to become customised to a new culture. It's not something you can change or adapt to straight away. My parents are European and have been here for over 30 years and still struggle with some Australian things but they have learnt to adapt.

I'm sure it would be the same if any of us moved to an Asian country after being raised in Australia - huge cultural shock.

Oh definitely, I'm sure it would be a huge shock, I was just pointing out in relation to the first post that I dont think she sees herself as being above the others.

Also, I'm assuming your parents don't see Australians as being beneath them because of those differences :)

I'm sure it would be the same if any of us moved to an Asian country after being raised in Australia - huge cultural shock.

It was hard enough for me when I lived in the United States for several years. Massive cultural difference even if a lot of the culture I grew up with was borrowed from there -- things such as sports, music, movies, etc. Therefore, I agree with what you're saying.

Se has an australian father and she said she left China when she was in kindergarten. I don't know about anyone else's definition but I wouldn't describe that as being "bought up" in China like she keeps saying. I'd say she was bought up in Australia, at least she's spent far more time here than there. It's like she's clinging to her Chinese heritatge as something exotic that separates her from the others...but then she says she was the only western baby in the hospital it seems like what she considers her main identity changes depending on what country she's in. BB has said in the promos that she survived the Tiannamin square riots too. She was in the city, but only 4 or 5 years old. Once again being near something isn't the same as surviving it. It sounds like she loves to overstate drama

Oh definitely, I'm sure it would be a huge shock, I was just pointing out in relation to the first post that I dont think she sees herself as being above the others.

Also, I'm assuming your parents don't see Australians as being beneath them because of those differences :)
Not at all. They appreciate that they can live here so much. They moved here for a better life and lifestyle.

I don't think she think she's above Australians, I just think it's a cultural thing.[DOUBLEPOST=1416715164][/DOUBLEPOST]
Se has an australian father and she said she left China when she was in kindergarten. I don't know about anyone else's definition but I wouldn't describe that as being "bought up" in China like she keeps saying. I'd say she was bought up in Australia, at least she's spent far more time here than there. It's like she's clinging to her Chinese heritatge as something exotic that separates her from the others...but then she says she was the only western baby in the hospital it seems like what she considers her main identity changes depending on what country she's in. BB has said in the promos that she survived the Tiannamin square riots too. She was in the city, but once again being near something isn't the same as surviving it. It sounds like she loves to overstate drama
I see what you're saying but despite moving here so young, she still might have had an Asian influence in her home growing up here.

It was hard enough for me when I lived in the United States for several years. Massive cultural difference even if a lot of the culture I grew up with was borrowed from there -- things such as sports, music, movies, etc. Therefore, I agree with what you're saying.
Exactly. I've been to America a few times and despite Australia being quite an Americanised country, it's still such a cultural shock. It's more the way they live their lives. American's are so patriotic and passionate about everything.

Not at all. They appreciate that they can live here so much. They moved here for a better life and lifestyle.

I don't think she think she's above Australians, I just think it's a cultural thing.[DOUBLEPOST=1416715164][/DOUBLEPOST]
I see what you're saying but despite moving here so young, she still might have had an Asian influence in her home growing up here.
I'm sure she did, her mother is Chinese but I'm saying she keeps stating "in my culture" ...blah blah..it seems her culture seems to change depending on her audience. She was bought up in Australia with 50% australian parentage, but she keeps ignoring that that is her culture too.

I'm sure she did, her mother is Chinese but I'm saying she keeps stating "in my culture" ...blah blah..it seems her culture seems to change depending on her audience. She was bought up in Australia with 50% australian parentage, but she keeps ignoring that that is her culture too.
Yeah, that's annoying. A lot of my friends here are from overseas and they don't carry on like that. Sure they like food from home but they're never using their culture as an excuse or a reason.

Se has an australian father and she said she left China when she was in kindergarten. I don't know about anyone else's definition but I wouldn't describe that as being "bought up" in China like she keeps saying. I'd say she was bought up in Australia, at least she's spent far more time here than there. It's like she's clinging to her Chinese heritatge as something exotic that separates her from the others...but then she says she was the only western baby in the hospital it seems like what she considers her main identity changes depending on what country she's in. BB has said in the promos that she survived the Tiannamin square riots too. She was in the city, but only 4 or 5 years old. Once again being near something isn't the same as surviving it. It sounds like she loves to overstate drama

She tries to use it as a point of interest because there's not much else going on.

I think you are reading too much into the few snippets of conversation that we have heard. Chinese culture is her culture, as is Australian culture. She has said that when she was in China she was always viewed as the Australian kid. I don't think she has expressly denied her Australianness.

I don't think she considers Australian's beneath her but she does seem to be very uptight.
I've watched all the eps this year but from what I can gather she's said she only lived there until a year old (If someone can confirm that, it'd be great) so I find the whole 'In China...' this and that odd....

She did say that - but she also said she'd done kindergarten in China before Tianenman Square made her parents decide to move here. How old is she?

She did say that - but she also said she'd done kindergarten in China before Tianenman Square made her parents decide to move here. How old is she?

And it's 25 years since Tianenman Square, so I think Lina is a liar.

She tries to use it as a point of interest because there's not much else going on.
I was just thinking along the same lines: They have nothing to do but talk about anything and everything in there. I think talking about differences in cultures would actually be quite interesting. Just imagine the crap that would come out of all of our mouths being in that house.

As far as Lina being too prudish, it is hard to say. Channel 9 had not shown any relevant footage so it is impossible to judge whether the humour was too far in the gutter.

Is it prudishness or just finding empty childish sex talk boring?

Is it prudishness or just finding empty childish sex talk boring?

It could be that too. Whatever it is I don't understand why everyone has judged her so harshly when we have not heard these sorts of conversations.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who speaks Chinese as a first language how good Lina's Chinese was. It is hard to judge but she has very Aussie accent.

She seems more Aussie than Chinese (and I don't think she has claimed otherwise, just that she is influenced by and conscious of her Chinese heritage).

I haven't heard her speak much Chinese, just that bit when she translated Trav's toast. It was a simple toast so I don't think she demonstrated her full ability, but she's got good pronunciation. It's almost too good, she speaks like a news reporter. Not that that's a bad thing, but most of my friends sound a little sloppier when they're chatting haha :p

Back