Skip to main content

I am beginning to think Lina considers Australians to be beneath her.....

Exactly. I've been to America a few times and despite Australia being quite an Americanised country, it's still such a cultural shock. It's more the way they live their lives. American's are so patriotic and passionate about everything.

This is a bit off topic but its true. Lots of little things are different in USA - Americans like "coffee & cream" but its not cream, they have a pickle obsession (which explains Mcdonalds), liquid cheese (ugh), the toilets flush differently. Claifonians aren't too bad.

I haven't heard her speak much Chinese, just that bit when she translated Trav's toast. It was a simple toast so I don't think she demonstrated her full ability, but she's got good pronunciation. It's almost too good, she speaks like a news reporter. Not that that's a bad thing, but most of my friends sound a little sloppier when they're chatting haha :p

So was she brought up in a bi-lingual household? She probably has had formal Chinese lessons if she is a good native speaker. Doesn't sound like sombody who left China as a 5yo.

This is a bit off topic but its true. Lots of little things are different in USA - Americans like "coffee & cream" but its not cream, they have a pickle obsession (which explains Mcdonalds), liquid cheese (ugh), the toilets flush differently. Claifonians aren't too bad.
American here, what do y'all consider cream? Liquid cheese? I hate pickles and I thought it was a myth that toilets flushed differently.

American here, what do y'all consider cream? Liquid cheese? I hate pickles and I thought it was a myth that toilets flushed differently.
Cream here isn't something that goes in coffee. You can't find coffee creamers here other than maybe flavoured ones. Cream here is like a liquid form of whipped cream that comes in little plastic jars. And also something to use in baking. Liquid cheese - no equivalent. I don't think the toilets flush differently, other than most have an option to do a little flush for just #1 and a bigger flush for more 'activity' but there is definitely less water in the bowls here. First time I went back home my arse got splashed with the water after I flushed as I hadn't moved yet and I freaked as I'd forgotten about that. There's basically zero chance of getting an arse spray here lol.

I think Tressyjo is saying that when Americans ask for coffee and cream they usually just mean coffee and milk.

Is that right? Or do you really put cream in your coffee?

I think Tressyjo is saying that when Americans ask for coffee and cream they usually just mean coffee and milk.

Is that right? Or do you really put cream in your coffee?

No, you are right. Just like they say peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (yum eh? O_O) when they really mean peanut butter and jam.

Half and half(half milk &half cream) is what most consider cream for coffee, but we have a lot of flavored non dairy ones as well. We also have heavy whipping cream in cartons to cook with or yes make whipped cream. There is a difference between jam, jelly and preserves here. Jelly has more sugar and a looser consistency than jam, which is much firmer, preserves has pieces of fruit in it. Modern toilets here have the double option and less water, folk hate them because they clog more often. I still have no clue what is meant by liquid cheese, unless you're talking about melted American with peppers in it ((questo) for dipping chips.

This
is cream. Its the milk fat on top of whole milk. The cream in americam "cofee & cream" seems to be mostly milk, or god forbid "non-dairy creamer".

I lad liquid cheese at some hotdog place near Niagara Falls.

Wherever I went they just wanted to add a whole pickle with every meal. Its a nationawide pickle obsession, just like Australians have a beetroot obsession.

The toilet comment was the way water level goes up down in the bowl when flushed, it doesn't do that in Australia.

Last edited:
Lina always has a puss on her face like she just sucked on a lemon.
She's so miserable she'd find something to complain about an orgasm.

She come across as this very liberal minded person who wants to preach about acceptance and diversity yet
she fails to accept and assimilate with those having different views of what her vision of utopia should be.

Yes, a snob. Seeing her sit next to Priya finding faults with others is a bad trait.

I don't think the toilets flush differently, other than most have an option to do a little flush for just #1 and a bigger flush for more 'activity' but there is definitely less water in the bowls here.

I need a life, I google toilet flush USA & found this.

I think she is looking at her personal perspective of, 'I don't think this, for me this comes from.....'

Personally I hate the reaction to peple in the house that there is something wrong with people like Lina if they don't get along and enjoy whatever nonsense gutter humor. Of course with BB editing we have no idea. Are Ryan's sex jokes and filthy stories fairly mild or are they quite extreme?

Which is a major flaw with no adult BB content.

On people and other cultures, Australia doesn't have a really strong clearly defined and identifiable culture. Which people mistake for there not being one. So they get wrapped up with other cultures and traditions. When people are often from or have links to these other cultures the push towards them is often stronger. Not in a way to go live there, but how they embrace a version of it, take the good and what they like.

You get all sorts of forms of it, 'oh this culture is so spiritual, Oh I love this aspect.' Generally it ignores the day to day nature of living in some of these countries. The negatives. Not in relation to anyone on BB, but you will see someone talking about how wonderful and spiritual a country or culture is. How lacking Australia is. Really kind of negative on Australian culture and society.

And you feel like going, yeah if you like that stuff great. Australia may not have that, but what we do have is a culture where you can walk the streets at night and not run a high risk of being surrounded by beggars society ignores, robber and potentially be gang raped and murdered.

There is more to celebrate about a society than being 'spiritual.'

What is good is often lost. You have arsehole racists like the government and their supporters. Who work to undermine this. By making a less free, less tolerant and equal society.

Then you have people at the far extreme the other way who everything is shit and we all suck if we aren't spiritual. Very down on the lack of primitive culture, spirituality, often various magical believes and nonsense. They themselves while claiming to be enlightened and get it, only see the negatives and there for can't embrace and hinder what is good.

I think it might be more of her upbringing and class difference rather than hating australians. Im assuming she has been raised in the upper middle class, can anyone fill me in about her life (i know she was born in china)

Do you mean Cheez Whiz? As in 'going crazy with the cheez whiz' made famous by Beck's "Loser"? Having heard that lyric and also having heard that some parts of the US have stores called Piggly Wigglys it was a life wish to buy a can of it in one. Then one day I saw cheez whiz in a store in Australia. Now all my dreams are dead.

Cream here isn't something that goes in coffee. You can't find coffee creamers here other than maybe flavoured ones. Cream here is like a liquid form of whipped cream that comes in little plastic jars. And also something to use in baking. Liquid cheese - no equivalent. I don't think the toilets flush differently, other than most have an option to do a little flush for just #1 and a bigger flush for more 'activity' but there is definitely less water in the bowls here. First time I went back home my arse got splashed with the water after I flushed as I hadn't moved yet and I freaked as I'd forgotten about that. There's basically zero chance of getting an arse spray here lol.

Is Nestle Coffee Mate an example? That's available all over in its 'natural' unflavoured' state.

Is Nestle Coffee Mate an example? That's available all over in its 'natural' unflavoured' state.
Yeah that'd be like a powdered example which you'll also find in N.America. But the creamers are actually little containers of straight cream that you pour into coffee. Or maybe they're cream cut with a little bit of something. Can't remember now as it's been awhile since I had one. For example though, say you go to a Tim Horton's - which people obsess over their coffee - and order a 2 and 2. That would be 2 sugars, 2 creams... not milk. Sounds kind of crazy now to me that I think about it but that's just how it is I guess.

Back