Skip to main content

How old were you when BB first aired on 24/04/2001

I find it so weird that Big Brother premiered on a Tuesday night!

Though Big Brother would soon enough start the trend of Event Sunday's with Evictions.

I remember this. I'd finished uni at the end of 2000, and was commuting to Sydney cbd every day, and the typists at work and people on the train were often talking about BB. Can't remember when I got onboard, but I recall the dancing doona.

Nice flashbacks of my office on William Street - hey, looking out toward Harry's, where Laurina got her dirty street pie. Doing Falun Gong in the park at lunch. Hating at first, then growing to respect Gretel.

Nice trip in the way back machine.

Your avatar still freaks me out with the blinking eyes.

Did Mr Stickyfingers make that for you or did you find it elsewhere?
I have to admit it's an edited version of a gif anim from the old 2001/2 official website from archive.org

In a strange twist, the original was actually an ad for adultshop.com.au :eek:

My, my. How the BBAU brand changed.

lets point this out 2001 wasnt that long ago. If you where young back then. Does not make you in 2016 old and in a wheelchair. 2001 wasnt that long ago so i rather to think it was not that long ago. i was young back then but i still am young today in 2016. It wasnt even that long ago when you think about it.

I don't agree with your statement. Fifteen years isn't long at all. Anything in this century isn't long ago, considering some of us here were already working, at university, thinking of marriage and families, travelling before you were born.

Last edited:
I don't agree with your statement. Fifteen years isn't long at all. Anything in this century isn't long ago, considering some of us here were already working, at university, thinking of marriage and families, travelling before you were born.

You're really not making a convincing argument at all...

Take in to consideration that I was 17 in 2001, finishing up secondary school, and readying myself to enter the world of adulthood... Sure at 32 I've looked back and wondered where the time has gone but I'm not going to be naive and pretend like everything that's gone on in the last 15 years happened yesterday...

Another thing to consider is just how far technology has moved in the last 15 years... Just think the idea that one could log in to a website and watch a TV show or event being filmed live was ground breaking in 2001 which is now more often how almost all of us access all of our entertainment programing... In 2001 most homes had a single desktop computer and now it's virtually unheard of for a single person not to have a portable handheld device with ten times the computing power if not two or three...

Take in to consideration that I was 17 in 2001, finishing up secondary school, and readying myself to enter the world of adulthood... Sure at 32 I've looked back and wondered where the time has gone but I'm not going to be naive and pretend like everything that's gone on in the last 15 years happened yesterday...

Another thing to consider is just how far technology has moved in the last 15 years... Just think the idea that one could log in to a website and watch a TV show or event being filmed live was ground breaking in 2001 which is now more often how almost all of us access all of our entertainment programing... In 2001 most homes had a single desktop computer and now it's virtually unheard of for a single person not to have a portable handheld device with ten times the computing power if not two or three...
I'm not making an argument or trying to be convincing, just stating my opinion, but if you wish to be arrogant in your youth, go right ahead. I'm also not pretending and being naive that it all happened yesterday. However, with age and as you say experience, things take on a different perspective, from my perspective. At thirty two, you are over two decades younger than me.
2001 was a doozy of a year in the last third of it.

I'm not making an argument or trying to be convincing, just stating my opinion, but if you wish to be arrogant in your youth, go right ahead. I'm also not pretending and being naive that it all happened yesterday. However, with age and as you say experience, things take on a different perspective, from my perspective. At thirty two, you are over two decades younger than me.
2001 was a doozy of a year in the last third of it.

GEEZ - how much has changed in the last 20-30-40-50 years! And who is arguing about it? Sure we all know it is going to speed up quicker than ever. In 5 Years, or maybe 2 we will be scorning at the people in 2016, that they were dumb fucks ..........

now it's virtually unheard of for a single person not to have a portable handheld device with ten times the computing power if not two or three...

Hear it hear man, there are 2 people living here that DO NOT HAVE what you mention!!!! So you are sooooo wrong in your post. In fact I can bring up another 5 people, I know that are where I am. I hate the fact that life is so about getting with the times, being on call 24/7 and being up to DATE with technology, when people can still really live without apps, the latest phone and pokieamums (or whatever them things are)

Speaking of which - when you are awoken by a group of people, walking though your carpark and property and the DOG is going off at them all, whilst they are on private propety and they think they are ENTILTLED to be there looking for something NOT REAL - is over the top and goodbye to Privacy (but then again there are trespassing laws, with big fines here ;)

At least in 2001, we just watched a TV, at those that wanted to be watched on BB

Back