Skip to main content

House Rules 2016

Brekkie

Staff member
Anyone still watching?

Still love the concept of this show but Seven clearly not learning from the mistakes of others and just dragging it out too long - the first "Whole House Reveal" had 40 minutes, which I guess was an hour with ads, of the judges walking round looking at the house (complete with endless recaps of course). I'm sure this segment used to be about 10 minutes in the first series!

Similarly the zone wars still annoy me - how much time must Seven have spent this week on that argument over the linen cupboard, yet very little on what the teams were planning to do. The zone splits still annoy me - producers just split them randomly throughout the house because they think people fighting over space is interesting. It isn't! Also some questionable planning with the first house from the shows architects - the downstairs laundry seemed somewhat detached from the rest of the house and a bit of a haul to get the laundry too, whilst the teenagers would probably have benefitted much more from bigger rooms than the "teenager retreat".

Still watching, not loving it though. Better than Reno Rumble, but what isn't?

Teenage retreat would have been better in the space where the laundry room was,who wants to "retreat" in a room where parents are so
close.Can't stand Rob already,what a arrogant ass he is (so far) ,like the rest so far especially the brothers.

Reno rumble....what a idiot that muscle head guy was,can't lift a hammer but can lift weights...sheesh!!

Rob certainly playing the part of the villian very well. I hope when they get to their house Brooke and Michelle get the entry and make it so narrow everytime he gets home he has to walk in sideways!

Rob certainly playing the part of the villian very well. I hope when they get to their house Brooke and Michelle get the entry and make it so narrow everytime he gets home he has to walk in sideways!
and put the linen cupboard in the very small entrance

It's all a bit bland this week - no obvious front runners and no obvious disasters too, though I'd tip Fil & Joe or Nancy & Daniel for the tent.

So after all that fuss last week about the linen cupboard doesn't appear they even put on in this house.

So glad Rob is in the tent though!

Did not like this house at all,that blue was awful,the tiles in the main bathroom should have been to the ceiling and maybe inside the shower,instead of around a cabinet and windows.The main bedroom was hideous and the paint work horrendous.Kitchen,pantry was nice and I sort of liked her studio but there should have been more space to work and much more storage

very glad Rob is in the tent..I hope it rains or gets invaded by snakes or something

I can only echo the sentiment that Rob deserved to lose.
The house was such a mishmash of styles, quite gaudy and all that blue was overwhelming.
Go Luke & Cody!

exactly and why do those feature tiles on the wall with the window and then still put cabinets on it..put them on a wall by themselves.
I wonder which zone they will choose as their redo zone..they have so many disasters to choose from.
Luke and Cody are my favs so far.

Agree - probably the one that needs redoing most is Rob and Rose but that would be a massive paint job, and as the paint flows into Luke and Cody's zone too they'd basically have to do that as well to make it look good. I'd say the Master Bedroom is where they could score most points as it's a blank canvas really, whilst with the bathroom tiling higher and rehanging the door will probably be enough.

Anyway was glad to see some payback on the linen cupboard tonight - really do think though the split zones are hurting the flow of the house. Also liked the twist on the winners being able to pick their zone by swapping with someone else, although Luke and Cody are far too polite to risk upsetting anyone. They really should have gone for the boys bedroom though.

I sometimes think the House rules can be so confusing,for example why leave your work artwork lying around if you don't think it will be used.That wallpaper of Rob/Rose was awful,if you made a mess-up leave it off.Hope the guys get their Hatrick and win again.

Why why why after all these seasons do they continue to make house rules cryptic and subject to interpretation and then sit back and say "oh I hope they don't interpret it this way blah blah blah". Don't leave room for interpretation and don't have conflicting rules duh.

Some very questionable judging this week from the judges. No way Luke & Cody deserved to be as low as Michelle and Brooke, who didn't even both with one of their zones and got the proportions wrong in the others. Also Claire and Hagan marked really low when their only faults were the choice of wallpaper and a couple of minor issues on the decking, whilst Fil & Joe weren't penalised at all for their poor lounge layout which meant you couldn't get out on to the deck comfortably - and also couldn't see lounge on the main sofa to watch TV.

The houses seem really small this year compared to previously and they're probably trying to put too much in them too, whilst as always the split zones aren't giving the home owners the best use of space. This weeks splits seem rather questionable - Rob and Rose just getting a bathroom and porch whilst Claire and Hagan get Kitchen, Dining and Bedroom and Fil & Joe exactly the same zone as last week. Considering it was their first win of the comp I don't think Rose and Rob had earned the right to choose all the zones.

As for the House Rules I suspect they are the producers interpretations of what the home owners want.

Last edited:
So Rob and Rose are getting a house that taste forgot - seemingly due to their own rules, but I like to think they pissed off someone in production who then sabotaged the rules!

I really do think the other teams are getting a form of subtle revenge on Rob & Rose through their choice of colours. They all have good taste in every other area, so it doesn't seem likely that they think creating a bubblegum rainbow house is a good idea for anything else but sweetening up sour Rob. It's genius really, because if Rob whinges about it he'll look ungrateful.

I think Rob genuinely liked what they'd done on the whole - Rose not so much. The main living area wasn't too bad with three decent zones and more subtle colours on the wall - but that entry - yuck, yuck, yuck. Also don't think the judges took into account the ages of the kids when it came to the bedrooms - yes, Luke & Cody's looked ace but was it practical for a two year old?

Tough to call this year who will be out first - no outstanding front runner and no obvious worst pair either - just a whole lot of middle really. I guess like last year they'll be a "pre-determined non-elimination week" and they'll all do the fix up challenge.

why do they keep saying its Rob and Roses first family home,I have seen on social media that they have renovated their home before
and also they live in Queensland now so not in the rainbow lollipop house

I think Rob genuinely liked what they'd done on the whole - Rose not so much. The main living area wasn't too bad with three decent zones and more subtle colours on the wall - but that entry - yuck, yuck, yuck. Also don't think the judges took into account the ages of the kids when it came to the bedrooms - yes, Luke & Cody's looked ace but was it practical for a two year old?

Tough to call this year who will be out first - no outstanding front runner and no obvious worst pair either - just a whole lot of middle really. I guess like last year they'll be a "pre-determined non-elimination week" and they'll all do the fix up challenge.
I don't think Rose liked much,I liked her before but now I am thinking she is just as nasty as Rob.

A whole second floor in a week - really?

House Rules is ruining my expectations of builders and trades - we've just been told 3-4 weeks to redo our kitchen - that seems like ages!

Back