Skip to main content

History Thread

I love hearing about the origins of common sayings. Eg. Throwing the baby out with tbe bath water; when bathing was an occasional activity and everyone had to use the same water, the father bathed first, then the sons, then the wife, then the youngsters and finally the baby. The bath water was by then so filthy that it was quite possible the baby would get thrown out with the bath water.
It's very interesting. Here's another:
"In the Middle Ages knights who fought at tournaments wore a token of their lady on their sleeves. Today if you make your feelings obvious to everybody you wear your heart on your sleeve"....

Thought it just meant to give your heart easily. But, behind it was a Knight in shining 'amore' wielding his jousting sword all along. ;)

Reactions: Jam
I thought it meant to show your emotions easily?

It does, but with bad wording, it was an attempt to highlight the literal origin related to showing the emotion of love (token of their lady/heart).

It's very interesting. Here's another:
"In the Middle Ages knights who fought at tournaments wore a token of their lady on their sleeves. Today if you make your feelings obvious to everybody you wear your heart on your sleeve"....

Thought it just meant to give your heart easily. But, behind it was a Knight in shining 'amore' wielding his jousting sword all along. ;)

His jousting WHAT?? Do you have his number?

His jousting WHAT?? Do you have his number?
Sorry, lance - jousting lance. His number escaped me, but I got his name. They call him Poor King Sorde apparently.

Ancient Rome and Egypt are endlessly fascinating. Luckily I have seen a lot of ruins, I would love to know what on earth it was like when it was relatively new.

The society stuff is fascinating.
Couldn't agree more. I have also been lucky enough to explore the tombs and temples of the Pharaohs. To think some of those ruins are over 4,000 years old, and still there offering so much more than just glimpses of an ancient, yet incredibly sophisticated way of life.
I wonder if they sold fried chicken opposite the Sphinx then, as they do now. That KFC looks so wrong!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Best angle..
Pyramids-2Bof-2BEgypt-2B6588679679-2B-600x402-.jpg

The other reality..
Egypt-1153276.jpeg

It is funny how close everything is to the pyramids. Although Egypt is like that. There's stuff, whether farms, buildings, greenery and suddenly a dividing line and desert.

Some images from history:

Fall of the Berlin Wall (1989)

18-23338.jpg

The 'I Have a Dream Speech' by Martin Luther King

gty_march_on_washington_martin_luther_king_ll_130819_16x9_992.jpg

Richard Nixon meets Chairman Mao

000cf1bdd03f0aca906038.jpg

History in action here this week as King Richard III is buried on Thursday, 530 years after he died. There has been a procession through Leicester today and the reaction both in terms of the crowds that turned out and the media have been far bigger than I thought it would be - some amazing scenes.

Yes, seeing the ancient sites of Egypt rubbing shoulders so to speak with modern stuff is slightly disconcerting. I was like that in London back in the 70s. Having played Monopoly for years I had an idea that these things would be all on their own but they are just ordinary place names in many respects. We did however wander all through Stonehenge as access was unlimited.

I've just started reading the book, Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe 1944-1956, by Anne Applebaum.
My family lived through this.

Watched that cnn documentary on the 60's in America. What an incredible decade that must have been to live through. The assassinations of jfk, rfk, and mlk. Vietnam war, civil rights, rise of the counter-culture, space race, british invasion, and all those strange tv shows.

Watched that cnn documentary on the 60's in America. What an incredible decade that must have been to live through. The assassinations of jfk, rfk, and mlk. Vietnam war, civil rights, rise of the counter-culture, space race, british invasion, and all those strange tv shows.
I checked to confirm my hunch on the real truth behind your interest...Tina Arena born 1967, Julia Sawalha 1968.

Back