Skip to main content

History Thread

Columbo

Never again
A place to discuss history stuff. I've been listening to Dan Carlin's 'Blueprint for Armageddon' podcasts for Hardcore History. The podcasts focus on World War One. So far I have listened to four out of the five podcasts. I have found them very interesting, but the scope of the conflict is so great that even though Dan Carlin goes through hours worth of history you still feel as though he is just giving you the bare bones of one of the most important events in world history. But you also have to remember two things 1. Dan Carlin is just an amateur historian. 2. It would probably take you years to fully learn about the first world war, and even then you wouldn't even fully understand it. Still it is a good jumping point in learning about world war one.

Anyway, what is your favourite period of history? What are your thoughts on world war one?

...I've been playing all of the 'Assassin Creed' series of games all the way up to 'Unity'... it makes you wish that you could time-travel back to those days and see it for yourself... I know that this was probably not the way that you wanted to discuss history on here reepbot but thought that I'd share my thoughts anyway...

...to be honest... I would love to go back in time to WWII to see my dad as a young under-aged soldier in the British Army to see what he was like to be honest!... that's one thing at least lol!... I'll put some more thought into this and will post them later... a great idea for a thread though my friend... cheers.

...reepbot... you would make the ultimate Time Traveller my friend... (or are you already?:cautious:)... you would be in your element methinks... spreading your positivity and sunny disposition around the World as you are upon these forums now... especially in the late 60's and 70's when everyone was preaching love and peace!... lol!... just my 2 cents... cheers.

Quit living in the past and embrace the now reepy...

Can't I do both? Can't I both live in the past and embrace the now, Ingy? I can do two things at once. I'm awesome like that. Infact whilst I was composing this message I managed to juggle two chairs with my left hand. I'd like to see you try that!

Also for someone who hates history you sure like to post in this thread.

...reepbot... you would make the ultimate Time Traveller my friend... (or are you already?:cautious:)... you would be in your element methinks... spreading your positivity and sunny disposition around the World as you are upon these forums now... especially in the late 60's and 70's when everyone was preaching love and peace!... lol!... just my 2 cents... cheers.

I reckon it would have been an interesting time to live in America during the years 1963 to 1974.

Also don't worry, I'm not a time traveller!

I love reading about the Middle Ages and the Renaissance.

...Leonardo Da Vinci is my all time hero... I would so loved to have met him... but alas... it will never happen... just as well we have so many ways of seeing his art/inventions etc nowadays... a few years ago I had the honour of going to the 'Powerhouse Museum' here in Sydney to see the 'Leonardo Da Vinci Exhibition' at the time... it was more than magnificent!... I felt in tune with his greatness... it was a very soul bearing experience for me personally... a magnificent two days... (I visited it again 2 days later because I went with a few people the first time and went on my own the second time which was when my soul was touched by his magnificence)... such fond memories... cheers.

Banjo Patterson was born on this day in 1864. I associate Banjo Patterson with my year 4 teacher Mrs Hendrix, who had a huge passion for this band and their musical renditions of his poetry. We had to listen to this stuff for weeks.

Altogether now ...

I was wondering if you could help me out @reepbot. I've been talking to someone who grew up in Eastern Europe and referred to event where she and her family walked from Vienna to Bavaria during World War 2 (? in 1944). I can't find anything on line, but I got the impression it was a group of people. I'm trying to establish why she was in Vienna and what was the purpose of this walk without traumatizing her, so I don't want to ask, but I am really interested in what this was about on an intellectual level, because I haven't heard of it before, but her efforts sound amazing and inspirational to me

I love hearing about the origins of common sayings. Eg. Throwing the baby out with tbe bath water; when bathing was an occasional activity and everyone had to use the same water, the father bathed first, then the sons, then the wife, then the youngsters and finally the baby. The bath water was by then so filthy that it was quite possible the baby would get thrown out with the bath water.

I was wondering if you could help me out @reepbot. I've been talking to someone who grew up in Eastern Europe and referred to event where she and her family walked from Vienna to Bavaria during World War 2 (? in 1944). I can't find anything on line, but I got the impression it was a group of people. I'm trying to establish why she was in Vienna and what was the purpose of this walk without traumatizing her, so I don't want to ask, but I am really interested in what this was about on an intellectual level, because I haven't heard of it before, but her efforts sound amazing and inspirational to me

...pardon me from butting in on this delcan... (you did ask reepbot the question after all)... reepbot will probably give you a good lead on it or an answer to your question but perhaps it would pay off to look at websites similar the one below... (perhaps not this particular website below but something like it)... it's to do with wartime refugees etc in WWII... old military record websites tend to dig into the nitty gritty of things during times like those... but knowing reepbot he will have a simpler method of finding out than what I have suggested lol!... just thought that I'd say... cheers.

http://www.archives.gov/research/military/ww2/refugees.html

Sorry, I don't know.

I love hearing about the origins of common sayings. Eg. Throwing the baby out with tbe bath water; when bathing was an occasional activity and everyone had to use the same water, the father bathed first, then the sons, then the wife, then the youngsters and finally the baby. The bath water was by then so filthy that it was quite possible the baby would get thrown out with the bath water.

Worked the opposite in my Family of 4 Kids - The youngest to eldest got bathed in that order - I was #3 - just glad I was before my smelly brother!

...Leonardo Da Vinci is my all time hero... I would so loved to have met him... but alas... it will never happen... just as well we have so many ways of seeing his art/inventions etc nowadays... a few years ago I had the honour of going to the 'Powerhouse Museum' here in Sydney to see the 'Leonardo Da Vinci Exhibition' at the time... it was more than magnificent!... I felt in tune with his greatness... it was a very soul bearing experience for me personally... a magnificent two days... (I visited it again 2 days later because I went with a few people the first time and went on my own the second time which was when my soul was touched by his magnificence)... such fond memories... cheers.

Agatha Christie is my all time hero.

Back