Skip to main content

General O/T Chit Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice way to start 2016, mumma peacock and baby peacocks wandering down in front of the house I was sitting.

image.jpg

Naw cute! I do love baby animals, especially when they're still with their mummy. Although technically she would be a peahen I believe, not to be the WB of animal names though of course.[DOUBLEPOST=1451608518][/DOUBLEPOST]Happy new year everyone!
I am sure that wouldn't be a common sighting. A few years ago here I saw a juvenile lyrebird when I was up in the Dandenongs one morning. Don't know about anyone else around me but I was thrilled.

Peahen hey, I didn't know that! I must be stupid :p

Was very cute.

Haha no not at all! I only learnt it recently so took the chance to put this this knowledge into action. Pretty sure I will still refer to peahens as peacocks, it might be up there with pronouncing Pho as "fuh" or making that throaty noise when you say Van Gogh as a douchey thing.

Haha no not at all! I only learnt it recently so took the chance to put this this knowledge into action. Pretty sure I will still refer to peahens as peacocks, it might be up there with pronouncing Pho as "fuh" or making that throaty noise when you say Van Gogh as a douchey thing.
I think Van Go is the way to go unless you want to sound Welsh. I could be wrong about the go bit but the sounding Welsh bit is correct, lol.

I think Van Go is the way to go unless you want to sound Welsh. I could be wrong about the go bit but the sounding Welsh bit is correct, lol.

Yeah I would say Van Go, although some say Van Goff. But you know the somewhat pretentious way of pronouncing it that I mean? Where you sound like you are clearing your throat.

It reminds me of something my sister does, she will often pronounce Italian words with an Italian accent, usually in restaurants and the like. I think she feels justified to do so due to actually being Italian, but it's not as though strangers know this so honestly she just sounds like a wanker.

Yeah I would say Van Go, although some say Van Goff. But you know the somewhat pretentious way of pronouncing it that I mean? Where you sound like you are clearing your throat.

It reminds me of something my sister does, she will often pronounce Italian words with an Italian accent, usually in restaurants and the like. I think she feels justified to do so due to actually being Italian, but it's not as though strangers know this so honestly she just sounds like a wanker.
Sounding Welsh is what I mean by that throat clearing sound thing, no offence to the Welsh. When I say Tour de France, I am conflicted as to how to pronounce it. Frawnce, Frarnce or just plain old France with a nice Australia accent. I've settled on Frarnce as it is more neutral and middle of the road.

Lol I didn't even know that Van Gogh was meant to be pronounced that way until my son told me. I didn't doubt Mr Facts though, made that mistake before lol.

Talking about accents my boss uses the accent of the person he's talking to, whether they're Indian, Chinese etc lol. It's extremely cringeworthy.

Sounding Welsh is what I mean by that throat clearing sound thing, no offence to the Welsh. When I say Tour de France, I am conflicted as to how to pronounce it. Frawnce, Frarnce or just plain old France with a nice Australia accent. I've settled on Frarnce as it is more neutral and middle of the road.

Oh yeah I get you - a much better description than mine! Yeah I would say Frarnce in that instance too, but come to think of it I THINK I might say France that way anyway? I'm not sure lol. It is tricky when you are adapting another culture's word, do you keep it intact or adapt it to your own accent/language/culture etc... hard to say.

Lol I didn't even know that Van Gogh was meant to be pronounced that way until my son told me. I didn't doubt Mr Facts though, made that mistake before lol.

Talking about accents my boss uses the accent of the person he's talking to, whether they're Indian, Chinese etc lol. It's extremely cringeworthy.

Oh no, yeah that is extremely cringeworthy!! How awkward. It is weird though how some accents are acceptable to do but others are really, really not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back