Skip to main content

General O/T Chit Chat Thead II

And apologies for being a childless middle aged gayboy dishing out parental advice to a mother. That is pretty poor form in hindsight! Even if Serbian is not a widely spoken language, it makes it even more special, doesn't it?

As for getting stronger (and fitter), probably best so you can chase after him once he does start walking haha
That first line made me lol!

I am sending you a cyber hug, but a word of warning, I think I need one in return. Just had a horrible ward experience, a young person in respiratory distress, sats 84% on 4LNP and falling, BP hypo, HR159. Emergency is obviously called and the patient has my hand in a vice grip, eyes terrified and pleading. "Don't let me die please.."

We didn't.

I have been pondering the meaning to life and being a person that never bore a child but witnessed birth today, a cow I am almost certain that the meaning to life is to procreate - whether it be planting a seed to flower, to give a bee pollen, to grow a plant, or to help another. Anyways, I have had bad news about a friend, now with cancer - it was quick and is not nice and I am not sure how to deal with it.

How I wish I had something profound to say to each of you - but words aren't coming today. You have my prayers and blessings though - and huge respect.

xoxoxo

I am sending you a cyber hug, but a word of warning, I think I need one in return. Just had a horrible ward experience, a young person in respiratory distress, sats 84% on 4LNP and falling, BP hypo, HR159. Emergency is obviously called and the patient has my hand in a vice grip, eyes terrified and pleading. "Don't let me die please.."

We didn't. Pt is stabilised and has been moved to icu. I am currently outside deep breathing, feeling so fragile and I just can't stop shaking.

So I guess my advice, not that you asked, in regards to your friends cancer diagnosis. There is no one way to deal trauma. However you choose to deal with it will be the right thing for you at the time. We have our whole life to process and reconcile grief.
Geez, that was a bit terrifying. Your HR has come down a bit too I hope? The patient is going to make a good recovery? As for you, you can only do what you can do and you've had a very normal reaction. Hopefully you've had some decent sleep today and are relatively refreshed for tonight? I'm on nights too. What fun. Keep moving forward T. x Found that my work bestie has been diagnosed with renal cancer in his right kidney. Yes @joyjoyjoy, knowing how to deal with it is hard and confusing. I get mixed signals from him but reassured him anyway that he has my support and love, while inside I am a bit wobbly. He has yet to find out if it's benign or malignant. We all can only be there and be as ready as possible for what will happen and then who we are will help determine what we are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tee
How I wish I had something profound to say to each of you - but words aren't coming today. You have my prayers and blessings though - and huge respect.

xoxoxo

Thanks, Kay. I really do try and deliver my nursing with a patient centred approach being mindful to be who the client needs me to be and not making the stress, sadness and worry that comes with sickness all about me and how I am feeling, but sometimes it is hard not to take that on. Xo

Geez, that was a bit terrifying. Your HR has come down a bit too I hope? The patient is going to make a good recovery? As for you, you can only do what you can do and you've had a very normal reaction. Hopefully you've had some decent sleep today and are relatively refreshed for tonight? I'm on nights too. What fun. Keep moving forward T. x
It really was, but as you would know, it's what we are trained to do. And you're right, I think my HR was sitting at a hugely unsafe 170! I hope so, but to be honest I'm not sure. I make a point not to trek patients once they leave my ward, even if it leaves me wondering for a couple of weeks. It's not a habit I want to get in to if you know what I mean. I had the best sleep last night, and today is looking like a beautiful day. I am going to take your advice and make a point of sitting, reflecting on what happened, what I could have done better, then put it in a bubble, blow it away and move forward. Xo

GOOD MOANIN FAUX T THREAD!

Welcome to your Monday and have a super duper day!

And apologies for being a childless middle aged gayboy dishing out parental advice to a mother. That is pretty poor form in hindsight! Even if Serbian is not a widely spoken language, it makes it even more special, doesn't it?

As for getting stronger (and fitter), probably best so you can chase after him once he does start walking haha

I wouldn't worry about that. I'm also childless and middle aged, although a straight woman, but I think of it common sense a lot of the time and we have both been littlies early on in the piece, so have experience that way. We also have had to endure friends with children, lol, siblings, other family members. Sometimes you just need reassurance and/or confirmation from external sources.

Haha Timmy, but no not at all. As KK said, there is still useful advice from non-parents. Funnily enough sometimes it's actually fellow mothers who shit me the most with their advice, they are so preachy and so certain that they are right and also don't necessarily consider the fact that their child and family are different to mine.

Non-parents just seem to give normal and regular advice, it may not always fit the bill perfectly but that is true of everyone.[DOUBLEPOST=1504083826][/DOUBLEPOST]
I have been pondering the meaning to life and being a person that never bore a child but witnessed birth today, a cow I am almost certain that the meaning to life is to procreate - whether it be planting a seed to flower, to give a bee pollen, to grow a plant, or to help another. Anyways, I have had bad news about a friend, now with cancer - it was quick and is not nice and I am not sure how to deal with it.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend :(

Polly. A short essay.

iQdb1yb.jpg

I first met Polly at my local pagoda near my old apartment. I would wander through and say hello the all the cats, and she would come running up to me for a head rub pretty much every time, and was very affectionate. Over a few months she lost more and more weight until her spine was protruding so much you could see it and run your fingers along both sides of it. She was seriously undernourished. By now I had moved into the shack, so I went and kidnapped her and brought her home with me. She was not well but seemed completely unperturbed by moving in with me. I showed her the litter tray and within an hour she had started using it.

She was so tiny I thought she was a young cat, maybe a year old. I got a local vet to come by. She said "she is a very old cat, maybe 10 years", which surprised me. 10 years is well over the odds for a street/pagoda cat here. The vet treated her for ear mites and pulled a bunch of black gunk from her ears with cotton buds. Polly had scratched around her ears so much most of her fur was missing from both sides of her head. She had cat flu and got a shot for that. She doesn't have many teeth and the vet pulled one of the remaining ones, poor thing, but she handled it well.

A few weeks later, Polly developed a nasty open abscess so I had to take her in for stitches. After the stitches had been taken out she developed another abscess, but fortunately I still had some antibiotics left and it healed up. All the fur has grown back on her head, and she has piled on weight so you can't see her spine any more. I actually think she was deaf for teh first couple of months, from the blocked ears, but more recently it's become apparent she can hear after all. I could clap my hands very loudly behind her - or rustle a plastic bag - and she would not flinch at all.

The only problem now is that now she is healthy again, she has gone in heat. First time I swear it lasted more than two weeks, and now it's four days in. She ROWLs so loudly all fucking night and it is driving me crazy (you can see she's in heat in the photo by the way she's rolling around). So I'm going to have to take her to the vet and get her spayed this week before I kill her.

She is pretty though, and lovely when she isn't insane.

The end.

Polly. A short essay.

iQdb1yb.jpg

I first met Polly at my local pagoda near my old apartment. I would wander through and say hello the all the cats, and she would come running up to me for a head rub pretty much every time, and was very affectionate. Over a few months she lost more and more weight until her spine was protruding so much you could see it and run your fingers along both sides of it. She was seriously undernourished. By now I had moved into the shack, so I went and kidnapped her and brought her home with me. She was not well but seemed completely unperturbed by moving in with me. I showed her the litter tray and within an hour she had started using it.

She was so tiny I thought she was a young cat, maybe a year old. I got a local vet to come by. She said "she is a very old cat, maybe 10 years", which surprised me. 10 years is well over the odds for a street/pagoda cat here. The vet treated her for ear mites and pulled a bunch of black gunk from her ears with cotton buds. Polly had scratched around her ears so much most of her fur was missing from both sides of her head. She had cat flu and got a shot for that. She doesn't have many teeth and the vet pulled one of the remaining ones, poor thing, but she handled it well.

A few weeks later, Polly developed a nasty open abscess so I had to take her in for stitches. After the stitches had been taken out she developed another abscess, but fortunately I still had some antibiotics left and it healed up. All the fur has grown back on her head, and she has piled on weight so you can't see her spine any more. I actually think she was deaf for teh first couple of months, from the blocked ears, but more recently it's become apparent she can hear after all. I could clap my hands very loudly behind her - or rustle a plastic bag - and she would not flinch at all.

The only problem now is that now she is healthy again, she has gone in heat. First time I swear it lasted more than two weeks, and now it's four days in. She ROWLs so loudly all fucking night and it is driving me crazy (you can see she's in heat in the photo by the way she's rolling around). So I'm going to have to take her to the vet and get her spayed this week before I kill her.

She is pretty though, and lovely when she isn't insane.

The end.

Oh Em Gee!! I love her!!!!! And love it even more that she worked her way into your life. I bet she is stoked to be living the life now :) Hope the vet gets her sorted. Damn hormones :p

Ok this might be boring to everyone else, let me try keep this short! So we are slightly behind on some milestones but then more advanced on others. For example, he is a pretty good talker and has many words and a good effort at some names, he is even bilingual but I don't expect that to last! He does think every animal is "dog" but is on the right track.

He is defibitely not running, even at 13 months he is not walking yet, but has now managed to pull himself up so it might be close. Previously I would try to make him stand holding onto furniture which he would do but start crying, or once I tried with him leaning on the wall however he fell over :( so he was not ready but is now. Even his crawl is just a bum scoot, so his gross motor skills need work but he is managing fine.

I am so relieved to say he is a great eater and not fussy like me, he likes almost every food even yucky bland vegetables. If anything he is a massive greedy guts and needs to be cut off most of the time.

He is also a good sleeper these days, he has moved into his own bedroom and sleeps through the night until around 5am and then sleeps in again until 8ish, which is much better than before.

Umm what else? He looks like such a toddler these days I can't deal, finally he has some hair instead of a bald baby fuzz head, and he has 8 teeth with more coming through. Luckily as he is lazy and won't walk he is still baby like, but getting a reprieve from carrying his ~10kg body will be nice.

Squeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!! He sounds just perfect!!!!! Teeheehee I love baby talk so much. I was cuddling a friends 18 month old & she was saying oooooh pretties, and pointing to me (me = awwww thanks :D) Then she pointed to the door & cue the ooooooh pretties. (me = oh awkies!) :p

I told my kids the other night about all the veggies I made them eat when they were little. Their fav combo was broccoli, potato & beetroot. They shuddered :p

Thanks for the update, I can nearly smell that baby cuteness from here :D :kiss:

We didn't. Pt is stabilised and has been moved to icu. I am currently outside deep breathing, feeling so fragile and I just can't stop shaking.

So I guess my advice, not that you asked, in regards to your friends cancer diagnosis. There is no one way to deal trauma. However you choose to deal with it will be the right thing for you at the time. We have our whole life to process and reconcile grief.

Trace, it's moments like that that mean you are exactly where you are meant to be in life. You were there for them. I bet you made a huge difference in a terrifying time. I bet you comforted them while switching into auto pilot and doing everything you professionally could do for them, but your manner in how you approach it would have made such a huge difference. I bet they think of you & the rest of the team as their angels. If any of my loved ones were in such a situation it would be a huge comfort to me to have a nurse like you their for them x

psssst @timmydownawell - you do realise we are all invested in Polly now & we will need to be updated periodically :D
Hmmm, oh dear, it's hard to say if I can keep her. When I took her in I intended to save her life, fatten her up, make sure she was in good health, and then return her to the pagoda. But when I thought she was deaf I thought best I keep her here because she's at greater risk (of getting run over etc) outside. But it turned out she can hear after all.

I'm taking her to the vet to get spayed today. Will bring her back and let her heal and take it from there. The main problem with keeping her is that I intend to list the shack on Airbnb while I am trying to sell it. Having a cat complicates things as I would have to take her to the guest house with me each time I have guests at the shack. It's a difficult decision I have yet to work out. :(

BTW, the animal welfare org here said they do the same thing with sick animals from the pagodas: fix them up and return them to their familiar environment. Most expats here are only on NGO contracts so it's almost impossible to find permanent homes for cats. The locals sometimes have dogs as pets but very rarely cats. In my alley, there is a family that has a bunch of small dogs and cats (four of each I think) and they feed and take care of them, but that is very rare. Mostly the locals just think of cats as pests, and that's why they dump kittens at pagodas.

Woo hoo. NBN rolled out in my area of SA today. After a few hours on the phone troubleshooting, it's now up and running and about 269 times faster than my previous near-dial-up-but-actually-ADSL speeds.

Woo hoo. NBN rolled out in my area of SA today. After a few hours on the phone troubleshooting, it's now up and running and about 269 times faster than my previous near-dial-up-but-actually-ADSL speeds.
Well done. It's been a long time coming. I hope it works for you, seeing as there have been a lot of complaints about NBN.

My fibre connection here is about 13Mbps down/up. I changed it down to the 6Mbps plan to save money, but they seem to have forgotten to change it in their system lol so I'm paying for the lower speed but still getting higher.

Squeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!! He sounds just perfect!!!!! Teeheehee I love baby talk so much. I was cuddling a friends 18 month old & she was saying oooooh pretties, and pointing to me (me = awwww thanks :D) Then she pointed to the door & cue the ooooooh pretties. (me = oh awkies!) :p

I told my kids the other night about all the veggies I made them eat when they were little. Their fav combo was broccoli, potato & beetroot. They shuddered :p

Thanks for the update, I can nearly smell that baby cuteness from here :D :kiss:

Oh that's so sweet with your friend's toddler, and yes as biased as I may be he honestly is perfect, couldn't have asked for a better baby!

I feel kinda mean with some of the disgusting healthy food I serve, but for as long as he's silly enough to eat I will keep serving it. By his age I had already wised up to how gross veggies are!

That bad news about the 'Friend' - UPDATE -

All a Fucking SCAM - What type of person does that?

She WAS the wife, (now seperated due to the lies and scamming) of a very good friend of mine - she scammed him for money with many lies including this one!! How fucked is that!

Life is precious and to tell lies about health for any reason is just so fucked up. I have spent many hours with my friend, trying to build his confidence back up, after all trust in any relationships is lost - its been fucked.

She is a Thai National. She Knows the Thai System. The mess he is left with is huge. They got Married in Thailand and to Divorce is a HUGE issue.

He was sooooooo Trusting with her and the $$$$ and I mean $$$$$$ he sent her, for whatever she needed for, including Visas, that it was going to the cause she asked the $ for. I have met her and never thought she would do that. She was not like a very pretty prize, so to speak, just an average looking 39 year old Thai with a 13 year old son. He thought they could make a happy life together and she was said she was all for it, then pulled the Cancer on him when he went to Thailand to accompany her wife and kid back to OZ on a 2 Year Visa.

He is a very gentle person that wanted a good life with someone he thought he could be with.

She milked him and will try to continue to do so. To get divorce in Thailand is a big issue. They both have to be there to file for it, unless he goes though the courts which can be horrific. He can only get divorced there. He fears for his life, if he returns to Thailand, as their are ALOT of Cousins - and she has spoke about people 'disappearing' - all pretty fucked up eh?

Bloody down right BAD BAD BAD!!!!!!

Not My Shit, but I am there to help if I can

On another note - My Life is My Garden ....... So Loving it!

I am reproducing many plants and sharing where I can :) If it is sunny tomorrow, I will take some pics and post the awesome colours I have happening. I have planted all my seedling spring crops and was given some seedlings from an old Italian guy up the road so I am hoping they are going to be extra special crops!

I have a huge area, but am running out of room. I think I need 1/2 acre extra! LOL GAWD I am over the top with the garden!!!! I just like to grow the food and have enough for a feed and to feed others. Been here for almost a year now.

The chooks are giving 5 eggs a day, so the landlord gets a Doz a week and I give out to others or trade, when needed. Joy has 1-2 a day in her meal.

I have herbs growing everywhere. Not just in one patch, they are all scattered. I am currently planting a chamomile lawn. I have grown many chamomile plants from one plant. There is a big Morton Bay Fig out the front that the grass does not grow underneath. Have you ever smelt a Chamomile Lawn? I have mass planted there, so in the hot summer days - you will be able to lie in that fresh scent :)

All is good, in my Garden :)

That bad news about the 'Friend' - UPDATE -

All a Fucking SCAM - What type of person does that?

She WAS the wife, (now seperated due to the lies and scamming) of a very good friend of mine - she scammed him for money with many lies including this one!! How fucked is that!

Life is precious and to tell lies about health for any reason is just so fucked up. I have spent many hours with my friend, trying to build his confidence back up, after all trust in any relationships is lost - its been fucked.

She is a Thai National. She Knows the Thai System. The mess he is left with is huge. They got Married in Thailand and to Divorce is a HUGE issue.

He was sooooooo Trusting with her and the $$$$ and I mean $$$$$$ he sent her, for whatever she needed for, including Visas, that it was going to the cause she asked the $ for. I have met her and never thought she would do that. She was not like a very pretty prize, so to speak, just an average looking 39 year old Thai with a 13 year old son. He thought they could make a happy life together and she was said she was all for it, then pulled the Cancer on him when he went to Thailand to accompany her wife and kid back to OZ on a 2 Year Visa.

He is a very gentle person that wanted a good life with someone he thought he could be with.

She milked him and will try to continue to do so. To get divorce in Thailand is a big issue. They both have to be there to file for it, unless he goes though the courts which can be horrific. He can only get divorced there. He fears for his life, if he returns to Thailand, as their are ALOT of Cousins - and she has spoke about people 'disappearing' - all pretty fucked up eh?

Bloody down right BAD BAD BAD!!!!!!

Not My Shit, but I am there to help if I can
What an incredibly nasty thing to do. I hope your mate has plenty of friends like you who can be there to support him through this.

Good Moanin Faux T Thread!

Well thank God this month is nearly over! It has been an action packed month!

My partner and I fully turfed the back yard, well I say "and I" more like I shouted orders, and my long suffering partner layed the turf and omg it looks AMAZING!!!!

Work has been manic with this fucking flu outbreak, last Monday there were 30 staff down with URTI symptoms, including me. I have been like a dying duck in a thunderstorm, and on top of my sickness I had to play my partners 40th! But thankfully that is now behind us. The party was awesome, 20 of our closest friends came over to celebrate. I catered the whole thing which for me was an enormous task. It was a great afternoon/night and our pool area looked like a magical garden, we have covered the pergola in tiny fairy lights and that coupled with the lights in the pool and my spring time flower filled garden the area looked just lovely!

Girls! I have had my brows done! The feather touch tattoo thang and they look so good! Honestly best $600 I have ever spent! If you have sparce bland brows, seriously consider getting them done!

Anyhoo that's a quick update from me. Sending you all good vibes! Xo

Back