3. Poland
4. Hungary
5. Greece
6. Estonia
7. Belarus
8. Finland
9. Serbia
10. Portugal

Now to see how many of those we actually got terribly wrong.

ACTUAL FINALISTS:
1. Greece
2. Belarus
3. Serbia
4. Cyprus
5. Estonia
6. Czech Republic
7. Australia
8. Iceland
9. San Marino
10. Slovenia

6/10. 60%. A pass mark to Australia's quiz.

So watching Semi Final 2 from this morning right now. Much stronger than Semi Final 1. These people can actually sing.

Netherlands clearly the best this year. So emotional.

Love Russia's entry too. Azerbaijan has great vocals. Switzerland fantastic. Love Lithuania's entry as well.

Hope I didn't miss anyone. I don't care about the other contestants in this semi final. Just hope these 5 make it to the Grand Final.

Australia's Unofficial Top 10 for Semi Final 2 from SBS site:

1. Norway - 91%
2. Romania - 81%
3. Azerbaijan - 80%
4. Sweden - 80%
5. Malta - 79%
6. Switzerland - 71%
7. Lithuania - 70%
8. Denmark - 68%
9. Moldova - 65%
10. North Macedonia - 65%

Notice the exclusion of the favourite to win the whole competition and Russia. Just shows that most Australians voting in this have no idea when it comes to music.

So watching Semi Final 2 from this morning right now. Much stronger than Semi Final 1. These people can actually sing.

Netherlands clearly the best this year. So emotional.

Love Russia's entry too. Azerbaijan has great vocals. Switzerland fantastic. Love Lithuania's entry as well.

Hope I didn't miss anyone. I don't care about the other contestants in this semi final. Just hope these 5 make it to the Grand Final.

I thought the first semi was better. Best (no particular order): Netherlands, Russia, Austria, Armenia, Moldova. Next best Malta, somehow didn't come across as well as I hoped.

Switzerland's entry of Luca probably matches my music taste the best out of all the entries this year. Love the song and the performance was spectacular. Look forward to seeing him in the Grand Final.

Well, 4 out of 5 isn't bad.
Well done, Affable! I feel sure was none of this. 😜

ezgif-5-40655237b7aa-gif.54665

After getting over the initial bemusement of Iceland's entry, the backstory is quite... intense, with Eurovision supposedly apolitcal and all, lol

We Simply Must Talk About Iceland’s Stupendously Kinky, Deeply Political Eurovision Performance
by SAM LANGFORD 15 MAY 2019

Iceland’s entrant, BDSM-inspired techno-punk band Hatari (“Hater”), certainly shook up the usually tame and family-friendly Eurovision broadcast. There was latex and leather in abundance; a member of the band spent the piece dancing inside a metal structure that was equal parts cage and bomb. The lead singers looked, in turns, like they were either on the verge of a fiery painful death, or too bored to care.
And then there were the lyrics, which translate roughly to things like “Debauchery unconstrained/hangover un-contained/life’s purposeless confusion/the void will swallow all”. Or if that’s not quite doing it for you, try verse two (“universal obfuscation unilateral execration/from gullible delusion/escape will be curtailed/the void will swallow all”).

Alright, welcome back. It’s time to talk politics. See, this year’s Eurovision Song Contest has been the subject of an intense boycott due to the competition’s location in Tel Aviv, Israel. That boycott is part of the broader Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement, which protests Israel’s occupation of Palestinian territory, and violations of Palestinians’ human rights. In particular, calls to boycott this year’s Eurovision event pointed to a particular incident last May, when the Israeli army killed 62 unarmed Palestinian protesters in Gaza, including children, and injured hundreds more.

In Iceland, tens of thousands of people signed a petition calling for the country to boycott Eurovision in solidarity. Iceland obviously did not do so, but Hatari appears to have delivered the next best thing: a protest. The Eurovision Song Contest rules don’t allow political messages in songs, but the lyrics (and title) of Hate Will Prevail send a pretty pointed message given the context.

It helps that Hatari themselves have also openly criticised Eurovision in Israel. Hatari are pretty well known for trolling and shit-stirring (they once told media they were breaking up the band because their goal of “dismantling the apparatus capitalism” had not been achieved, and “the business” of dismantling capitalism “did not meet the expectations of the board”), and they’ve brought that shit-stirring talent to Eurovision 2019.

So far, the band has challenged Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to a wrestling match, and told The Guardian that if they win Eurovision, they will set up a liberal BDSM enclave in Israel (similar to, say, the settlements Israel has made on Palestinian territory, in violation of international law).

Full story: Junkee

After getting over the initial bemusement of Iceland's entry, the backstory is quite... intense, with Eurovision supposedly apolitcal and all, lol

I saw a video of Hatari giving Kate a gift that they made. Looks like they are close. 😆

Nah, she wont win. No way are they going to bring the comp to Australia - too much of a time difference

Back