Skip to main content

EUROVISION 2018 - JESS MAUBOY :)

...well... 3 and a half hours later and that is it... phew!... I'm stuffed now lol!... I stayed up all night so as not to sleep through it... I may need a 'Nanna nap' methinks lol!... thanks for all of the fun my friends... it's be a great ride... cheers.

Yes, I think Israel deserved it. It was the only song that kept popping back into my head.

Australia has never done as well in the popular vote as we have done with the jury, but that seemed a bit extreme.

...well... 3 and a half hours later and that is it... phew!... I'm stuffed now lol!... I stayed up all night so as not to sleep through it... I may need a 'Nanna nap' methinks lol!... thanks for all of the fun my friends... it's be a great ride... cheers.

You’ll need a nap if you don’t want to fall asleep during the replay tonight. :)

The Australian televote points made no sense at all it was a good performance of a good song.

The juries I thought followed reputation (Sweden) and pre-show hype (Israel). The Cyprus song wasn't amazing but they've never won before (began 1981) so it would have made a good story. And I respect those songs that at least got hype during the contest for their performance rather than getting all the publicity leading up to it.

Czech and Sweden were 5 and 6? Not happy with that but I will take it. Should have been higher.

I am surprised that Ukraine didn’t do well. Thought Hungary would do better than Jessica though. Not surprised about Jessica Mauboy not doing well because she was terrible.

Semifinal results have been released. Jess came 4th out of 18 songs in her semi, she was only beaten by Norway,Sweden and Moldova. Dont know what happened in the final given that I thought she was much better than in the semi.

I got maybe 3 hours sleep, friends visiting in a minute.....early night for me, cheers all......eventually going to check how many votes = 9 points ?.....

You’ll need a nap if you don’t want to fall asleep during the replay tonight. :)

...I did have a 'nanna nap' for about the same length of time as the contest itself and have just had a shower and am all 'sparkly' again lol!... well... I really liked my first ever Eurovision grand final even though Australia rated so mediocre... I'm wondering whether or not the Europeans are over us being the 'new kids on the block' and have tired of us and that the 'honeymoon' with us and them is over now?...

...I still have absolutely no idea whatsoever on how the voting system works... as a 'newbie' to all of this I think that I've worked it out...

(1)... there are designated 'judges' watching in from every country that participates in the competition and they are just voting for whichever neighbouring countries arses that they are sucking up politically wise to at this very moment and award them their obligatory 12 points to them rather than for the song or the artist themselves just to be 'Politically correct' so it has nothing whatsoever to do with the actual talent of the singers themselves as far as they are concerned...

(2)... the viewing audiences in each country that are participating get to do a vote via phone/email and texting or whatever and are in two types of categories... the first lot are like bookies whereby they just vote on the best song that they liked in all of the pre-hype that they have seen before it has even started and have not based it on the actual talents on the nights themselves... or...

(3)... people like most of us on here that have judged it on their likes and dislikes on the nights performances themselves (and I think that we're in the minority to be honest) and are fair and honest in our appraisals... and overseas they would be voting via phone/email and texting or whatever based on their passion rather than their Political beliefs or falling for all of the pre-show hype as I said before...

...and how the final public votes increase from 1 or 2 digit points up to the hundreds of points for the higher ranking contestants I will never know!... and... even though the four ladies that hosted it all were near enough clones of each other in some aspects I quite liked them and enjoyed their presentations... they did well...

...there were some godawful contestants and some bloody brilliant ones too and I'm so glad that the Israelis eventually triumphed over Germany and Austria (hmmmm... that's quite ironic isn't it?... just saying) and that she took out the top prize... an award that looked like an ice sculpture of a microphone to me lol!...

...the performances ranged from glitzy to glamorous to completely out and out camp to quite stunning visuals from that operatic song by Elina Yechayeva from Estonia to the guy with all of the flames around him going off all of the time (the only thing missing from that was having a Witch being burned the a stake in the background)... that was just plain full-on crap for me...

...but!... I really enjoyed the full-on Carnival atmosphere of the night... especially the Live audience vibe of the constant party going atmosphere... that was a spectacle in itself and I fully understand on how you get caught up in the excitement of it all kxk and forget about everything else when it's on... and... thanks for introducing me to this weird whacked out show kxk... it's been a mind blast for me too lol!... and also... well done you others for posting in the wee hours of the morning too...

I will be watching both this European one and also the Eurovision Asian version each year from now on that's for sure... and... speaking of that... I'm assuming that when the Asian one starts up that Australia will never be allowed as an entrant into the European one anymore so this was the 'swansong' for us this year?... if so... it's a shame that Jess never rated more towards the top this year eh?... besides... if she actually won it for arguments sake... how would it go down with us hosting both the European version and the Asian version in the same year?... how would that work?... it was never destined to happen was it?... perhaps that could be an underlying factor towards Australia being kept out of the top positions?... just theorising... (I'll be dead wrong as per usual lol)...

...anyhow... this post turned into a short novel in the end so sorry about that... it's been a fabulous few nights... thanks again everyone... cheers.

...and how the final public votes increase from 1 or 2 digit points up to the hundreds of points for the higher ranking contestants I will never know!...

Public votes get judged on a 12 scale by country as well I believe. The most voted in a country gets the 12 so they are all ranked per country.

Final score is based on these scales from each country.

how would it go down with us hosting both the European version and the Asian version in the same year?... how would that work?...

Won’t happen in Eurovision. If the rules are the same as a few years ago, if Australia won, it would have been held in the same country that it was held in previously. So it would have been Portugal again.

EDIT: Just read that it would have been held somewhere in Europe and co-hosted by Australia and another country.

Public votes get judged on a 12 scale by country as well I believe. The most voted in a country gets the 12 so they are all ranked per country.

Final score is based on these scales from each country.

...aaaah!... **the penny drops**... thanks for explaining it to me my friend...

Won’t happen in Eurovision. If the rules are the same as a few years ago, if Australia won, it would have been held in the same country that it was held in previously. So it would have been Portugal again.

EDIT: Just read that it would have been held somewhere in Europe and co-hosted by Australia and another country.

...aaaah!... **the penny drops (part 2)**... oh okay ... thanks again Affable for the explanations my friend... cheers.

Well I don't intend to do that early morning viewing ever again..............depressing start to the day it turned out to be
I prefer my usual, avoid media all day Sunday, have a party watching the repeat Sunday night.....watching half asleep was not good.

I am still bewildered Jess got only 9 points from public???That could mean just 1 person called, or 2, or at most 9????WTF
I counted more drunk Aussies at the thing live.....who can vote for Jess....were they so drunk they slipped and voted Austria???

And I do love the Israel winner, she is great, fun song......but it is the Austrian song and the French one I am still humming to
OMG I adore the French style, care of Jean Paul Gaultier .....

Has anyone watched Eurovision Choirs????

How does the Eurovision voting system work?

Eurovision was originally judged by juries before being opened to the public for a tele vote but when people started getting worked up about political Bloc Voting – that’s the idea that countries in Eastern Europe were all just voting for each other – they introduced a new dual system.

The juries from each country award 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10 and 12 points to their favourite songs, and reveal those jury scores through their national spokesperson in the usual time-consuming yet exciting way.

Viewers from each country also vote via phone or SMS, awarding 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10 and 12 points given to their favourite songs. Then, all the results from each country’s public votes will be combined to give one overall Eurovision viewer score per song.

I am still bewildered Jess got only 9 points from public???That could mean just 1 person called, or 2, or at most 9???? WTF
I counted more drunk Aussies at the thing live.....who can vote for Jess....were they so drunk they slipped and voted Austria???

Not sure it works like that. I assume that there would be heaps of votes from each country. However I am not sure how they collate them and make a result of those votes. Australia ended up receiving 6 votes from Malta, 2 votes from Denmark and 1 vote from the United Kingdom.

Semifinal results have been released. Jess came 4th out of 18 songs in her semi, she was only beaten by Norway,Sweden and Moldova. Dont know what happened in the final given that I thought she was much better than in the semi.

I wonder though how much bigger the final audience is over the the semis. I’d guess the final audience is more mainstream and the semis more just for Eurovision die hards. Maybe the diehards are more okay with Australia being in than the wider audience is.

Back