Skip to main content

Estelle's "hard life"

How does anyone know what she owns? i don't get it, must have missed a segment..

Well could be her father or mother.

She said the other night her mum couldn't work and her dad couldn't support them. So could be either. I don't think it's our business though.

You're absolutely right, it's not our business. Good thing she kept it to herself................. and 22 million others lol.

I will commend channel 9 for bleeping it out though, it's the one bit of good editing I have seen so far.

-EDIT- actually on second thought good editing would have been to not show it at all. Hmmmm it's very strange this situation, compelling though.

Yeah I could imagine people not being happy it was said.

Yeah, I wasn't comfortable with them airing that, or the bit the night before. The housemates have signed up to be on TV, but their friends and family are still entitled to their privacy. The bleeping wasn't enough either, you could hear "my [bleep]ther's a heroin addict".

You don't need to come from a poor family to have had a "hard" life. Why does everyone equate "hard" with living in poverty?

There are plenty of people that have risen from adversity to be successful. Sometimes it takes facing adversity to be more determined, rather than complacent and lazy like Michael seems to be.

Pecan posted an interesting article about Estelle and the citizen's parliament and it states in there her mum is a freelance policital journo. I guess freelance means no regular income so if she became sick or whatever no decent money would have been coming into the house.

Yeah, I wasn't comfortable with them airing that, or the bit the night before. The housemates have signed up to be on TV, but their friends and family are still entitled to their privacy. The bleeping wasn't enough either, you could hear "my [bleep]ther's a heroin addict".

The fault lies with her, not the fucking producers. She signed a contract to be visually and vocally recorded 24/7 for as long as she is in the house. If she wants to talk about her family, thats her decision. The producers are struggling to find any entertainment or controversy out of these HMs as it is, so if they find a good bit of gossip, they cant be blamed for airing it.

If Estelle wanted to keep these things a secret, she should not have said it. Either that or approach BB after and ask that it not be aired. Having said that, I am glad they decided to beep out the actual relationship to Estelle from that part of her dialogue. It was a good decision from BB

The fault lies with her, not the fucking producers. She signed a contract to be visually and vocally recorded 24/7 for as long as she is in the house. If she wants to talk about her family, thats her decision. The producers are struggling to find any entertainment or controversy out of these HMs as it is, so if they find a good bit of gossip, they cant be blamed for airing it.

If Estelle wanted to keep these things a secret, she should not have said it. Either that or approach BB after and ask that it not be aired. Having said that, I am glad they decided to beep out the actual relationship to Estelle from that part of her dialogue. It was a good decision from BB

The producers still have a responsibility to protect the privacy of the friends and family who haven't signed up to the show though, regardless of what Estelle wants or asks for.

Why are we suddenly getting actual real Estelle stuff?

The properties - if she owns stuff, Morwell where she comes from would be dirt cheap and they may have government mining houses at bargain prices.
And if her life has been that unstable - smart/common move is to secure your own future with something reliable, property.

Re the horses -
This is something she may have become quite bitter about. It IS almost impossible to pursue horsey ambitions without money - but it's doable, lots of hardwork and sucking up though.

My sis was horse mad.
She just hung around riding schools doing anything for free for rides. She then sucked up to a rich girl who had a property and horsefloats, all she had to do was save for the horse & gear, done.

But - she hated being the poor girl amongst all the rich bitches. And the only horsey job you could get was sexist and shit - at the racecourse. She is an enormously gifted rider, can make old nags look like a proud stallion, and taught disabled kids riding - but she has allways been pissed off the one thing she is gifted at leads nowhere.

Estelle is sooo contrived and fake ..... all that was missing from Thurs nite show was the violins .....

Am I the only one who thought "Oh here comes the sob story" ? Sounded like she had been waiting for just the right time to pull it out.

She has been playing the poor me card from day 1, pretending to be oh sooo self righteous in nominations, calling people out for bitching and then go up to everyone and asking "are they bitching about me" and then launching into a bitch session about the others ..... pot kettle black!!!!

She tries to be funny, kooky and silly and it comes off as totally cringeworthy .... Hope she goes on Sunday ... please please plases!

She has been playing the poor me card from day 1, pretending to be oh sooo self righteous in nominations, calling people out for bitching and then go up to everyone and asking "are they bitching about me" and then launching into a bitch session about the others ..... pot kettle black!!!!

When did this happen? I haven't seen her talk badly of anyone else? Who did she talk badly of and to who?

Well, apart from what Estelle has said on the Lil' sis and Confidential shows, and her explaining in the reveal of her 'secret' that she dropped out of school, and doesn't recommend it, I really have not heard her talking about her hard life.

The people I have heard talk about her hard life (and how it doesn't make sense that a person with two properties and a car and a stable of horses and a law degree and rich friends overseas could have come from a family with nothing and had nothing at sixteen) are mostly Bradley and Micheal. Both of them are middle class kids who have not done a lot of working for the money required to fund them to where they are today. Not saying that they are not hard-working, or ambitious, or don't have their own plans to work toward, but Bradley still lives with his parents and Micheal's life up until very recently appears to have been both expensive and heavily subsidized by loving parental cash (not that there is anything wrong with that - if their parents want to give them the best childhood and the best start in life they can, and they have the money for trips overseas, and cars and tertiary education, I say go for it. Living on struggle street is only laudable in retrospect.)

So how much do you trust Micheal and Bradley to report accurately and unbiasedly on what they know and don't know of Estelle's life? They were looking for excuses to call her fake and dismiss her experience as invalid, and explain why she was just playing the game and did not deserve to be there as much as them. Brad's (and George's) suspicions about Estelle seem to have arisen as they grew closer to Micheal. I wonder how they feel now they are out of the house and know how the nominations went.

On the face of it, she does seem very middle class and not at all street - but I think Micheal might be bitching because he had his rapper impersonator schtick all ready to entertain Australia with, only to be gazumped by a girl that claims she has ridden a skateboard and therefore has more cred than him.

Ben and Stacey bitch about her being a weirdo and being horsey and meeping and so on, but I haven't heard them talking about her mysterious wealth or her supposed poverty - there seems to be enough objections to Estelle as she is right now, and as the guidelines explicitly forbid housemates from talking about people outside the house, especially anything that might sound defamatory. Of course, rules like this don't stop Micheal from saying whatever he wants to say (hence two strikes) but if Estelle is not allowed to talk about it, it would be easy for people to hear her talk about her horses, or her properties, possibly meaning the horses she rides and the properties she manages, and mistakenly believe she was claiming ownership. Bradley, Micheal and George are bourgeois housemates - likely to measure value in terms of ownership of capital, and to assume that everyone else does too.
The mystery might just be that Estelle can't be explicit in the house. Or it might be mundane but complicated, or personal. Maybe Micheal is not the person that Estelle would like to share her horrific sexual abuse experience with, for example.

Yes, I wish we had the live stream, so I could tell how much of this 'poor little rich girl' thing is coming from Estelle, and how much is invented by Micheal. The way it has been presented on the daily show, it seems to be all Micheal - he is really good at spinning his version of reality in direct contradiction to fact (as we saw with the Oreo incident as it unfolded, and his explanations to Ben and, via the diary room to us, after the fact). On the other hand, the way Estelle laughed when Micheal referred to her saying 'Higgy-jiggy' while he was nominating her, made me think that he was referring to something she actually said to him. The other housemates talk about Estelle being a weirdo and behaving in an annoyingly silly way, and Estelle claims she sometimes behaves in a silly way, but apart from thirty seconds of galloping around the pool as if she was a horse, I haven't seen it.
The lavender makes sense as an aromatherapy technique: when she was chilling in the back yard and generally enjoying a stress-free moment breathing in the lavender, she could have take a moment to associate the feeling of relaxation with the smell. Then, when she was facing predictable stressful moments - nominations and evictions - she could take a sprig of lavender in with her, the idea being that sniffing the lavender will bring back the associated feelings of calm. Athletes use these kind of mind tricks all the time, and they believe they work, and so why not. It doesn't hurt that it is a visual point of individuation, and that it associates Estelle with all the symbolism of 'the girl with the flowers in her hair'.
The other housemates might complain when somebody else gets away with a trick like that, but they all do it- with the stuffed toys they sleep with, or their hair curlers, Ben's laughing clown face, Micheal's headband, Josh's pretend surfing, Brads endless batman quotes.
Still, without the live stream it is impossible to tell if Estelle's behaviour is being deliberately or unintentionally misinterpreted by housemates that want to get rid of her, or if it is something a reasonable person without $250,000 in their sights might do, and could tolerate witnessing. One thing - if Estelle's weirdness is being put on to entertain us, as Stacey claims it is, she is wasting her time, because Big Brother is not showing us Estelle acting or speaking like a fruit-loop.

Very much doubt that she is with the Exclusive Brethren or even the Plymouth Brethren. They keep their women (or their women keep themselves) very much in the domestic sphere and out of the public sphere/ under the thumb.

That has to be the BEST post I have read in this forum. You said it all. Everything is explained as it is. You have understood the HMs perfectly.

I agree with you not because I am a fan of Estelle, but because you made sens. This is the way I see as well. If Estelle would do something to justify the haters, I would not close my eyes. (When I am wrong I have no difficulty in admitting it)

The facts are that she hasn't done anything wrong.The weirdness, there is so much more of that coming from Ben, Stacey and Michael.

Well, apart from what Estelle has said on the Lil' sis and Confidential shows, and her explaining in the reveal of her 'secret' that she dropped out of school, and doesn't recommend it, I really have not heard her talking about her hard life.

The people I have heard talk about her hard life (and how it doesn't make sense that a person with two properties and a car and a stable of horses and a law degree and rich friends overseas could have come from a family with nothing and had nothing at sixteen) are mostly Bradley and Micheal. Both of them are middle class kids who have not done a lot of working for the money required to fund them to where they are today. Not saying that they are not hard-working, or ambitious, or don't have their own plans to work toward, but Bradley still lives with his parents and Micheal's life up until very recently appears to have been both expensive and heavily subsidized by loving parental cash (not that there is anything wrong with that - if their parents want to give them the best childhood and the best start in life they can, and they have the money for trips overseas, and cars and tertiary education, I say go for it. Living on struggle street is only laudable in retrospect.)

So how much do you trust Micheal and Bradley to report accurately and unbiasedly on what they know and don't know of Estelle's life? They were looking for excuses to call her fake and dismiss her experience as invalid, and explain why she was just playing the game and did not deserve to be there as much as them. Brad's (and George's) suspicions about Estelle seem to have arisen as they grew closer to Micheal. I wonder how they feel now they are out of the house and know how the nominations went.

On the face of it, she does seem very middle class and not at all street - but I think Micheal might be bitching because he had his rapper impersonator schtick all ready to entertain Australia with, only to be gazumped by a girl that claims she has ridden a skateboard and therefore has more cred than him.

Ben and Stacey bitch about her being a weirdo and being horsey and meeping and so on, but I haven't heard them talking about her mysterious wealth or her supposed poverty - there seems to be enough objections to Estelle as she is right now, and as the guidelines explicitly forbid housemates from talking about people outside the house, especially anything that might sound defamatory. Of course, rules like this don't stop Micheal from saying whatever he wants to say (hence two strikes) but if Estelle is not allowed to talk about it, it would be easy for people to hear her talk about her horses, or her properties, possibly meaning the horses she rides and the properties she manages, and mistakenly believe she was claiming ownership. Bradley, Micheal and George are bourgeois housemates - likely to measure value in terms of ownership of capital, and to assume that everyone else does too.
The mystery might just be that Estelle can't be explicit in the house. Or it might be mundane but complicated, or personal. Maybe Micheal is not the person that Estelle would like to share her horrific sexual abuse experience with, for example.

Yes, I wish we had the live stream, so I could tell how much of this 'poor little rich girl' thing is coming from Estelle, and how much is invented by Micheal. The way it has been presented on the daily show, it seems to be all Micheal - he is really good at spinning his version of reality in direct contradiction to fact (as we saw with the Oreo incident as it unfolded, and his explanations to Ben and, via the diary room to us, after the fact). On the other hand, the way Estelle laughed when Micheal referred to her saying 'Higgy-jiggy' while he was nominating her, made me think that he was referring to something she actually said to him. The other housemates talk about Estelle being a weirdo and behaving in an annoyingly silly way, and Estelle claims she sometimes behaves in a silly way, but apart from thirty seconds of galloping around the pool as if she was a horse, I haven't seen it.
The lavender makes sense as an aromatherapy technique: when she was chilling in the back yard and generally enjoying a stress-free moment breathing in the lavender, she could have take a moment to associate the feeling of relaxation with the smell. Then, when she was facing predictable stressful moments - nominations and evictions - she could take a sprig of lavender in with her, the idea being that sniffing the lavender will bring back the associated feelings of calm. Athletes use these kind of mind tricks all the time, and they believe they work, and so why not. It doesn't hurt that it is a visual point of individuation, and that it associates Estelle with all the symbolism of 'the girl with the flowers in her hair'.
The other housemates might complain when somebody else gets away with a trick like that, but they all do it- with the stuffed toys they sleep with, or their hair curlers, Ben's laughing clown face, Micheal's headband, Josh's pretend surfing, Brads endless batman quotes.
Still, without the live stream it is impossible to tell if Estelle's behaviour is being deliberately or unintentionally misinterpreted by housemates that want to get rid of her, or if it is something a reasonable person without $250,000 in their sights might do, and could tolerate witnessing. One thing - if Estelle's weirdness is being put on to entertain us, as Stacey claims it is, she is wasting her time, because Big Brother is not showing us Estelle acting or speaking like a fruit-loop.

Very much doubt that she is with the Exclusive Brethren or even the Plymouth Brethren. They keep their women (or their women keep themselves) very much in the domestic sphere and out of the public sphere/ under the thumb.

I'm just curious - are your saying that Estelle has suffered "horrific sexual abuse" or is that your own opinion regarding her "hard life".

I'm just curious - are your saying that Estelle has suffered "horrific sexual abuse" or is that your own opinion regarding her "hard life".

Sorry, I was using sexual abuse as an example of the sort of thing that Estelle might not choose to share with Micheal and all Australia, which might result in having a hard life and spending time on the streets in spite of being brought up with all the trappings of material wealth. Maybe her mother is schizophrenic, and Big Brother won't let her share other people's medical conditions with the housemates and the world. Mental illness and sex abuse are two not-always-obvious reasons why teens run away from what look on the outside to be easy lives.

I have no idea what Estelle has suffered, or if Estelle has really suffered, or if she has suffered enough...but I don't think it is Estelle that has been putting forward the idea that she has had a hard life - unless she is putting it out there on footage that we are not being shown.

Angie is in a similar situation - there are indications that Angie has had some hardships in her life. Angie talks about how much more mature she is than the average twenty-something, because she has had to fend for herself, but she is not explicit about her hard times and appears to have a doting dad. The big difference seems to be that she has not attracted Micheal's skepticism, possibly because she has not mentioned any of the trappings of middle-class wealth as part of her life experience. I can see why Micheal and Bradley would probably prefer to direct any resentment of poor little rich kids Estelle's way, and I can imagine a range of traumatic things Estelle might prefer not to relive for Micheal or Bradley's edification, or even Big Brothers.

I remember Bradley telling Sam (when filling Sam in on each of the girls) that Estelle had told them that she owned two properties, the car and horses, but hadn't told them any details and either said - or implied - that she was a bit of a mystery because of it; and he asked her on another occasion about the properties - which is when she replied that she worked for the government.

When she was asking George for advice regarding her property, I remember him asking if she owed any money on the house (it struck me as only referring to a single property in that conversation), and she no, she didn't owe anything.

Other than on Lil Sister the other night, those are the only occasions that I can remember the specifics of Estelle's life being discussed (since the Brad eviction/Josh leaving week I've only watched random bits, so may have missed some).

Other than that, Michael and Josh have seemed to me to be the two who have really obsessed over - and disbelieved - Estelle's 'hard life'. Josh brought it up several times and each time he said 'hard life' with heavy sarcasm and said she referred to it all the time but refused to give details. They both to me seemed to automatically equate the fact that she had now found herself in a position to have some equity as meaning that her life couldn't possibly have been hard.

Sorry, I was using sexual abuse as an example of the sort of thing that Estelle might not choose to share with Micheal and all Australia, which might result in having a hard life and spending time on the streets in spite of being brought up with all the trappings of material wealth. Maybe her mother is schizophrenic, and Big Brother won't let her share other people's medical conditions with the housemates and the world. Mental illness and sex abuse are two not-always-obvious reasons why teens run away from what look on the outside to be easy lives.

I have no idea what Estelle has suffered, or if Estelle has really suffered, or if she has suffered enough...but I don't think it is Estelle that has been putting forward the idea that she has had a hard life - unless she is putting it out there on footage that we are not being shown.

Angie is in a similar situation - there are indications that Angie has had some hardships in her life. Angie talks about how much more mature she is than the average twenty-something, because she has had to fend for herself, but she is not explicit about her hard times and appears to have a doting dad. The big difference seems to be that she has not attracted Micheal's skepticism, possibly because she has not mentioned any of the trappings of middle-class wealth as part of her life experience. I can see why Micheal and Bradley would probably prefer to direct any resentment of poor little rich kids Estelle's way, and I can imagine a range of traumatic things Estelle might prefer not to relive for Micheal or Bradley's edification, or even Big Brothers.

Thanks for explanation.

My take on Estelles "hard life" - really it could be anything. From having to get up early before school to feed the horses to abuse - who knows. All she ever has said that "I've had a hard life" and just lately that "whoever" was a junkie. Of course the other HM's are going to question the "hard life" statement but she shut down and alluded to nothing. Why mentioned it at all and then not talk or even hint just what your "hard life" was/is. Not saying she has to give a blow by blow account of her "hard life" to justify herself but you can't throw lines like that out here and not expect to be questioned about it if you just leave it at "I've had a hard life" - think that's were Michael skepticism comes from. Again if she doesn't want relive her "hard life" why mention it in the first place in the BB house where you know you are being filmed 24 hours a days 7 days a week and everything you say is being recorded and film.

The producers still have a responsibility to protect the privacy of the friends and family who haven't signed up to the show though, regardless of what Estelle wants or asks for.

How do you know? Have you read her contract? What she says on the show is free to be aired no matter what it is.

How do you know? Have you read her contract? What she says on the show is free to be aired no matter what it is.

I doubt that very much, I am sure the channel 9 legal team would be scrutinizing what goes to air to ensure it does not breach the Television Industry Code of Practise which has a big section on individuals right to privacy.

What a shame that such a long and thought out post is lacking in so many areas "sigh". Michael and Brad arent/werent the only two HMs discussing her so called "hard life". Ive seen most of the HMs talking about it at one point or another. Also, what does Michael and Brads upbringing have to do with Estelle's life? Your post is chock a block full of assumptions, and we all know what happens when we make assumptions, dont we!

Estelle came into the house and thought that acting all cute and quirky would attract attention, and the HMs would think she is soo funny. The fact of the matter though is that they all could not stand the way she acted and carried on. This is why she has been nominated so often and by so many different HMs! She is basically an attention seeking, bullshit speaking pain in the arse. Unlike your post, that last sentence is not an assumption!

Whatever Michael says about Estelle is agreed to by the other HMs. None of them like her. There is a reason for that, and its not that 16 ppl who have lived with her 24/7 are all wrong. They are in fact just doing what comes naturally. That is they shun ppl in a group who act in a way that either irritates and/or frustrates them.

Sorry to shoot you down, but maybe next time you will post something a little more factual, rather than your diatribe which is full of assumptions

I doubt that very much, I am sure the channel 9 legal team would be scrutinizing what goes to air to ensure it does not breach the Television Industry Code of Practise which has a big section on individuals right to privacy.

Well you may have noticed that they did actually air it. So unless you hear that they have been sued by Estelles parents, then I would say im right

Back