Skip to main content

Estelle's "hard life"

I'm not sure whether the initial suggestion that Estelle was a member of the exclusive Brethren was serious or not, but a quick Google search of "exclusive brethren morwell" reveals that there is no Exclusive Brethren church (or should I say worship bunker, because that is what they look like) in that area.

I actually live in the Eltham area which along with Diamond Creek is pretty much the global epicentre of the Exclusive Brethren movement, which is kind of funny because it is generally a fairly irreligious area and no one else who lives here knows anything about the Exclusive Brethren. The only time when anyone actually takes any notice of them is when they apply to build another one of their hideous worship bunkers in a suburban street, which attracts some attention in the local press. I don't think I've ever even seen anyone who looked like they were a member of the church, but it is slightly disturbing to know that such a harmful cult is poisoning the lives of so many people all around me. They're just doing it behind closed doors.

I found Estelle's comments in the Little Sister show tonight revealing. I thought I learnt something significant about how things had been in her past, and why people might say she'd had a hard life and had money issues. Yet a comment I saw elsewhere suggested Estelle had dodged the question again.

Maybe we already knew that she left school because she needed to support herself at home and because she couldn't concentrate too well at that stage with other issues she had going on. She said her mother was a single parent who couldn't work and and though she loves her father dearly he wasn't able either financially or emotionally to support them. I wouldn't have expected anyone to explain those sort of family issues in any more detail on tv.

Anyway, I was wondering if I'd missed it - was that information already out there?

I found Estelle's comments in the Little Sister show tonight revealing. I thought I learnt something significant about how things had been in her past, and why people might say she'd had a hard life and had money issues. Yet a comment I saw elsewhere suggested Estelle had dodged the question again.

Maybe we already knew that she left school because she needed to support herself at home and because she couldn't concentrate too well at that stage with other issues she had going on. She said her mother was a single parent who couldn't work and and though she loves her father dearly he wasn't able either financially or emotionally to support them. I wouldn't have expected anyone to explain those sort of family issues in any more detail on tv.

Anyway, I was wondering if I'd missed it - was that information already out there?

We're also dealing with edit, so who knows what was actually said. However, I agree about just how much anyone would be willing to put out there, I don't think she dodged at all, she gave enough information to answer the question without handing out intimate detail.

Given the little we have seen it's obviously a very personal issue that involved a family breakdown and what ever happened prevented either parent from giving Estelle the support a child would usually receive, in fact she had to step up and be the provider. It doesn't seem like she holds either parent any ill feelings so she's probably very conscious of not wanting to add any pressure by airing the past problems on national TV. I certainly wouldn't.

I was also very confused by Estelle's comments on the lil sis show. Michael said last week to BB that Estelle has a Land Rover, 2 houses, horses.... she is still young so did she come into an inheritence? Her/Michael's comments seem to conflict.

When she said she had a "colourful upbringing" I got the impression that she was raised in some sort of alternative lifestyle. Then when she eluded to neither parent being able to work I figured there must be some mental health issues. Of course this is all just guessing based on the scant info provided but I can't think why else her mum couldn't work and her dad couldn't provide financial support.

Ding! Ding!

Time for round 1789 of same shit/different day.

Well that's disappointing!

After last night show featuring Estelle, which was accompanied by the heart wrenching background music, regarding her unemployed Mum and dead beat Dad, I felt sure there would be some sort of battling going on!

Don't tell me the two sides of Estelle have agreed to disagree?!

You have me hooked on your drama! I need my daily fighting fix, I tells ya!

Looks like I will have to make do with some role playing to get my daily Estelle War fix....

Estelle fans : Oh my God that was so sad, poor Estelle, but she rose to the challenge, Estelle is so strong, she is an inspiration, she is a role model, she is the wind beneath her Mums's wings...

AntiEstelle fans : She is not!

Estelle fans : She is so!

Estelle fans : You are all such deluded fools!

AntiEstelle fans : You are all bullys!

Estelle fans : We are not!

AntiEstelle fans : You are so!

Estelle being an Exclusive Brethren is hilarious. There is no way she is. They do not believe in education (especially for girls) and send their kids to brethren schools giving them a very limited and skewed education. The girls need to wear prairie dresses to church. They are against tertiary education and need to bring in external teachers for their schools. There would be no way she would be at university, riding a skateboard or dressing the way she does without being shunned.

I work in a field they gets major developments up, be it mosques, synagogues, brethren churches or schools, or entertainment/event venues for pretty much anything. Consequently, you tend to learn a bit about their cultures and other freaky behaviour - community consultation is always hilarious (especially in diamond creek) as the locals try to be politically correct but just end up unravelling into angry rants. Personally, I think any religion is a load of crap, but everyone deserves fair representation I suppose.

I'll have to re watch last nights Confidential again. I missed it that whole part because my son was having a little one person party while playing his nintendo and I couldn't hear a thing. I thought I heard "I don't want to be evicted because my life on the outside sux" followed by her trying to hold back tears, this was when they were all sitting around confessing things about themselves.

Estelle said in Confidential tonight that a family member (probably her father, it was bleeped) is a heroin addict.

Well could be her father or mother.

She said the other night her mum couldn't work and her dad couldn't support them. So could be either. I don't think it's our business though.

Well could be her father or mother.

She said the other night her mum couldn't work and her dad couldn't support them. So could be either. I don't think it's our business though.

You're absolutely right, it's not our business. Good thing she kept it to herself................. and 22 million others lol.

I will commend channel 9 for bleeping it out though, it's the one bit of good editing I have seen so far.

-EDIT- actually on second thought good editing would have been to not show it at all. Hmmmm it's very strange this situation, compelling though.

Perhaps her rich patron bought her a couple of houses, a car and shouted her a trip to Ibiza too? Rich patrons tend only to patronize athletes who will go to the Olympics or the Commonwealth games too. I doubt they'd patronize a a mid-level show-jumper or whatever she is.

Hard life doesn't have to be materials, i think she mentions her Dad being a user and could not take care of her and her Mum...if seeing someone you love succumb to drug and feels helpless that's hard life...

If I knew Estelle outside of the house I don't think I could trust her, there is just something about her that makes me suspicious about her motives and day to day thoughts. I don't know why I'm getting a bad vibe from her.

If I knew Estelle outside of the house I don't think I could trust her, there is just something about her that makes me suspicious about her motives and day to day thoughts. I don't know why I'm getting a bad vibe from her.

Same here.

I'd even go so far as-- that if she came round to 'visit' I'd quickly make an excuse that I was just on my way out the door.

Sad but true.

Jason! I've been looking everywhere for you! You do know that now there is a baby in the BB house and there is still no FENCE AROUND THE POOL!!

I am the opposite. I would love to have her as a friend. To me she appears such a kind hearted person, which is hard to find. She is the only one I would trust in the house

Well, apart from what Estelle has said on the Lil' sis and Confidential shows, and her explaining in the reveal of her 'secret' that she dropped out of school, and doesn't recommend it, I really have not heard her talking about her hard life.

The people I have heard talk about her hard life (and how it doesn't make sense that a person with two properties and a car and a stable of horses and a law degree and rich friends overseas could have come from a family with nothing and had nothing at sixteen) are mostly Bradley and Micheal. Both of them are middle class kids who have not done a lot of working for the money required to fund them to where they are today. Not saying that they are not hard-working, or ambitious, or don't have their own plans to work toward, but Bradley still lives with his parents and Micheal's life up until very recently appears to have been both expensive and heavily subsidized by loving parental cash (not that there is anything wrong with that - if their parents want to give them the best childhood and the best start in life they can, and they have the money for trips overseas, and cars and tertiary education, I say go for it. Living on struggle street is only laudable in retrospect.)

So how much do you trust Micheal and Bradley to report accurately and unbiasedly on what they know and don't know of Estelle's life? They were looking for excuses to call her fake and dismiss her experience as invalid, and explain why she was just playing the game and did not deserve to be there as much as them. Brad's (and George's) suspicions about Estelle seem to have arisen as they grew closer to Micheal. I wonder how they feel now they are out of the house and know how the nominations went.

On the face of it, she does seem very middle class and not at all street - but I think Micheal might be bitching because he had his rapper impersonator schtick all ready to entertain Australia with, only to be gazumped by a girl that claims she has ridden a skateboard and therefore has more cred than him.

Ben and Stacey bitch about her being a weirdo and being horsey and meeping and so on, but I haven't heard them talking about her mysterious wealth or her supposed poverty - there seems to be enough objections to Estelle as she is right now, and as the guidelines explicitly forbid housemates from talking about people outside the house, especially anything that might sound defamatory. Of course, rules like this don't stop Micheal from saying whatever he wants to say (hence two strikes) but if Estelle is not allowed to talk about it, it would be easy for people to hear her talk about her horses, or her properties, possibly meaning the horses she rides and the properties she manages, and mistakenly believe she was claiming ownership. Bradley, Micheal and George are bourgeois housemates - likely to measure value in terms of ownership of capital, and to assume that everyone else does too.
The mystery might just be that Estelle can't be explicit in the house. Or it might be mundane but complicated, or personal. Maybe Micheal is not the person that Estelle would like to share her horrific sexual abuse experience with, for example.

Yes, I wish we had the live stream, so I could tell how much of this 'poor little rich girl' thing is coming from Estelle, and how much is invented by Micheal. The way it has been presented on the daily show, it seems to be all Micheal - he is really good at spinning his version of reality in direct contradiction to fact (as we saw with the Oreo incident as it unfolded, and his explanations to Ben and, via the diary room to us, after the fact). On the other hand, the way Estelle laughed when Micheal referred to her saying 'Higgy-jiggy' while he was nominating her, made me think that he was referring to something she actually said to him. The other housemates talk about Estelle being a weirdo and behaving in an annoyingly silly way, and Estelle claims she sometimes behaves in a silly way, but apart from thirty seconds of galloping around the pool as if she was a horse, I haven't seen it.
The lavender makes sense as an aromatherapy technique: when she was chilling in the back yard and generally enjoying a stress-free moment breathing in the lavender, she could have take a moment to associate the feeling of relaxation with the smell. Then, when she was facing predictable stressful moments - nominations and evictions - she could take a sprig of lavender in with her, the idea being that sniffing the lavender will bring back the associated feelings of calm. Athletes use these kind of mind tricks all the time, and they believe they work, and so why not. It doesn't hurt that it is a visual point of individuation, and that it associates Estelle with all the symbolism of 'the girl with the flowers in her hair'.
The other housemates might complain when somebody else gets away with a trick like that, but they all do it- with the stuffed toys they sleep with, or their hair curlers, Ben's laughing clown face, Micheal's headband, Josh's pretend surfing, Brads endless batman quotes.
Still, without the live stream it is impossible to tell if Estelle's behaviour is being deliberately or unintentionally misinterpreted by housemates that want to get rid of her, or if it is something a reasonable person without $250,000 in their sights might do, and could tolerate witnessing. One thing - if Estelle's weirdness is being put on to entertain us, as Stacey claims it is, she is wasting her time, because Big Brother is not showing us Estelle acting or speaking like a fruit-loop.

Very much doubt that she is with the Exclusive Brethren or even the Plymouth Brethren. They keep their women (or their women keep themselves) very much in the domestic sphere and out of the public sphere/ under the thumb.

Last edited:
Back