Skip to main content

Does anyone go on big brother soley to win $$$$

I would still recognise housemates from 2001 so that BB fame could well go for years and years!

BBAU1 was MASSIVE and the housemates from that year got much more exposure than for any subsequent season purely because of the hype surrounding that first year. Most HMs from subsequent years have disappeared back to obscurity, so I think you'd have to be pretty special/popular/notorious to get lasting recognition from being on BB these days unless you plugged directly into that vehicle immediately after your spell in the show ended.

BBAU1 was MASSIVE and the housemates from that year got much more exposure than for any subsequent season purely because of the hype surrounding that first year. Most HMs from subsequent years have disappeared back to obscurity, so I think you'd have to be pretty special/popular/notorious to get lasting recognition from being on BB these days unless you plugged directly into that vehicle immediately after your spell in the show ended.

I think it'd be dangerous going into the house with that mindset though (ie "I'll just go in for the experience and then go back into obscurity once it's over") as you might end up lasting ages. I guess being an obsessive I am out of the ordinary in how many housemates I remember over the years (even intruders!) I don't know nothin' bout maths or geography but quiz me about a housemate and I'll remember them lol, just wish it had somehow translated into some useable skill in the work force!!). I do agree the notoriety in the first season was massive though, and subsequent seasons people have been able to slip back into obscurity much easier (those that wanted to), but yeah in going in you'd need to have a mindset that you COULD be quite a recogniseable face for six months at least and you'd need to be ok with that in case it happened.

Problem is you can't turn the BB fame off as it has such a massive audience, I was on a 3 part ABC doco in 2010 and I got recognised about 5 times during the airing of the show (well those were the times people actually stopped me in the street to talk to me), and it was fun and I'm glad I had that experience but if it was every day, like a BB housemate who'd been in the house a considerable time I think it'd become quite invasive and uncomfortable. I would still recognise housemates from 2001 so that BB fame could well go for years and years!

Hmmm... I suppose you're right however I don't think BB is as massive as it once was and it certainly hasn't reached the same level of fame in Canada... It could also be said that by the time the next series has started people are on to obsessing over the newbies...

Hmmm... I suppose you're right however I don't think BB is as massive as it once was and it certainly hasn't reached the same level of fame in Canada... It could also be said that by the time the next series has started people are on to obsessing over the newbies...

I just remember seeing Michael McCoy from BB06 in Bondi Junction in a Harvey Norman store and two people stopped him to talk to him in the 20 mins I was in the store, and he had a crew cut in the show and longish floppy hair (it was about 18 after the series) and I thought "wow that would drive me insaaaaaaaaaane". He did get a lot of storylines in his series though but only lasted 1/3 of the way through so I guess that's what I think of when I think of BB fame and how invasive it could be.

Yeah that was the one 'Making Australia Happy' - set in Marrickville but filmed around Newtown also.

Yes, I remember because I recognised your house in one of the location shots at the time... I was living 100 metres away in that block of units in L. Street opposite the school. Sorry to say I would probably still walk past you in the street without recognising you. ;)

Yes, I remember because I recognised your house in one of the location shots at the time... I was living 100 metres away in that block of units in L. Street opposite the school. Sorry to say I would probably still walk past you in the street without recognising you. ;)

Haaaa! Holy cow that's weird! I helped an old lady take her shopping up to the 2nd level of those flats once (she'd kinda collapsed on someone's front fence and I was walking down L. Street). How weird you lived so close. I only got recognised at the time as it was on TV at the time, then nothing for ages but then ABC put it on iView or something a few months ago and so it's happened twice more (two weeks ago in the A. St cafe the next street back from L. street too which was awkward as the woman was going "I know you, do you recognise me? I used to have longer hair") and then after about two minutes of this we worked out she'd didn't know me she'd just watched the show and she got all awkward and embarrassed and hurried out and I sat there feeling awkward and uncomfortable myself as she'd been quite loud about it. See that's the weird kind of stuff that happens if you go on a TV show haha, and mine was just a tiny little ABC show. The woman who sits beside me at work was watching it on iView about 3 months ago and didn't realise I was IN the show so that was also a bit weird when the penny dropped. And don't worry, all the population but 2 people have walked past me and not recognised me in the last two years, my moment of 'fame' is gone!! :p (Thankfully it was just a few small occurances though as my issue they addressed on the show was social anxiety - so having complete strangers come up to me in the street caused more stress than happiness!). As I said, it was fun in retrospect but I am happy to be anonymous me. I would love to go on BB but it's the actual post show stuff that stressed me and is what I see as the downside. A friend of mine was on a Bessemer cookware informercial years ago and still gets recognised sometimes, strange the way some people do seem to remember stuff lol. There's a guy on an ABC show I see on L.Street sometimes. And I saw the host of Go Back To Where You Came From twice on the train going to Erskineville!

Last edited:
Haaaa! Holy cow that's weird! I helped an old lady take her shopping up to the 2nd level of those flats once (she'd kinda collapsed on someone's front fence and I was walking down L. Street). How weird you lived so close.

If it was a Greek lady then that would be Marina. She always wore the same green frock/smock. I never went inside her unit but it looked like (and a guy installing new tv antenna cabling confirmed) she is a hoarder and her place is stacked floor to ceiling with stuff. I helped her out a few times. I lived in two units in that block, the top floor one had nice views, planes taking off and coming in to land and also storms coming in from the west. Adam Spencer lives just along the street there too. I would see him at the school when voting. Anyway, kinda offtopic lol.

I think it'd be dangerous going into the house with that mindset though (ie "I'll just go in for the experience and then go back into obscurity once it's over") as you might end up lasting ages. ... but yeah in going in you'd need to have a mindset that you COULD be quite a recogniseable face for six months at least and you'd need to be ok with that in case it happened.

Thats why I don't think we have seen any teachers (besides one in training or a preschool one) go into the house, their credibility could be possibly blown by one comment. Last thing a parent would want is someone who made a fool out of themselves on national tv teaching their child.

I know there is a Teacher going in this year.... Wonder if they thought it through?

If it was a Greek lady then that would be Marina. She always wore the same green frock/smock. I never went inside her unit but it looked like (and a guy installing new tv antenna cabling confirmed) she is a hoarder and her place is stacked floor to ceiling with stuff. I helped her out a few times. I lived in two units in that block, the top floor one had nice views, planes taking off and coming in to land and also storms coming in from the west. Adam Spencer lives just along the street there too. I would see him at the school when voting. Anyway, kinda offtopic lol.

I think it must have been her as I went to take the grocery bags INTO her flat and she got all funny and was like "No no leave them on the doorstep" and didn't want me going in. I just assumed she was worried I could be a robber but now maybe I think it was because of the hoarding!! But yes, off topic, last thing I'll say on the topic :)

Why are you so confident ?

I love that you are...

I believe there's a formula to winning, it's doable, Tim was proof of that. I think I would be able to leverage my personality along with that formula and win the shit out of the show.

Thats why I don't think we have seen any teachers (besides one in training or a preschool one) go into the house, their credibility could be possibly blown by one comment. Last thing a parent would want is someone who made a fool out of themselves on national tv teaching their child.

I know there is a Teacher going in this year.... Wonder if they thought it through?

I'm a teacher, I'd be fine with it. I've already been in the media, kids have spotted me, it was interesting, nothing too negative really and It was a fairly interesting thing I was known for lol

I'm a teacher, I'd be fine with it. I've already been in the media, kids have spotted me, it was interesting, nothing too negative really and It was a fairly interesting thing I was known for lol

They've dumbed it down so much and made it so kiddie-friendly you would not have to worry very much. No-one's going to see your wobbly parts on TV or web any more, and even risque conversations don't make the edit. There has never been a better time for a teacher to be on this show.

They've dumbed it down so much and made it so kiddie-friendly you would not have to worry very much. No-one's going to see your wobbly parts on TV or web any more, and even risque conversations don't make the edit. There has never been a better time for a teacher to be on this show.

Yeah true ! They have had it so PG rated

I've already been in the media, kids have spotted me, it was interesting, nothing too negative really and It was a fairly interesting thing I was known for lol

So Miss Gille Mac, what fairly interesting thing were/are you known for?

So Miss Gille Mac, what fairly interesting thing were/are you known for?

Haha Miss? I'm very much a Mr.
I wouldn't want to blow my BBBA Cover haha :)

I've very well known for being a homosexual, I was on a fairly controversial Billboard in 2011, now I have a barely watched TV show on 31 Digital about being homosexuals and I do community radio. Living the dream lol

Do you really think Winning would be that easy?

Could you play the game?

Last edited:
Back