Skip to main content

Do we have a politics thread to discuss things political?

Fair for Queensland.
In all honesty, she should hang her head in shame.
She shut her state off from the rest of the country, contributed nothing to the governments efforts to get Aussies home or quarantine return travellers, completely decimated the tourism industry which is the main source of income for so many people, then had the audacity to demand more money from the federal government. If anything, when the GST is handed back to the states, she should be given absolutely nothing.

In all honesty, she should hang her head in shame.
She shut her state off from the rest of the country, contributed nothing to the governments efforts to get Aussies home or quarantine return travellers, completely decimated the tourism industry which is the main source of income for so many people, then had the audacity to demand more money from the federal government. If anything, when the GST is handed back to the states, she should be given absolutely nothing.

I think coronavirus decimated the tourism industry, which of course should and did place a distant second to fighting against this horrible virus.

She was looking out for Queensland, i see nothing wrong with that.
I'm sorry, my dear Columbo, but she was looking out for herself and playing on the gullibility of people who were frightened by the Corona Virus...both she and her chief health officer preyed on the fears of ordinary folk and convinced them that she was doing it to 'protect' them, when in fact, she was trying to protect herself and ruined the tourism industry in the process.

I think coronavirus decimated the tourism industry, which of course should and did place a distant second to fighting against this horrible virus.
Yes, but Anastasia did nothing to soften the blow. She actually didn’t really do anything of value from what I recall.

She saved lives. That's value enough. A real life hero.

giphy.gif

But he ultimately failed. Like Anastasia.

I'm not sure how Annastacia failed considering she's still premier.

And Daniel only failed because Australia unfortunately wasn't ready for his game play. He probably would have gotten the win if they did it like big brother us.

I'm a bit old hat and must say a self confessed petrol head and I really am addicted to machinery that burns the old dino juice...lol
I don't know much about it to comment, but there is a lot of investment in trying to find a new juice that doesn't emit CO2. So maybe that will come along in time. However, there's no getting around the big car manufacturers taking a massive swing towards electric this decade and we need to prepare for that. Ideally, we can have both electric and juice cars.

I was watching Chris Harris asked about this recently and he doesn't think the future will be all-electric for cars.

Again speaking of making any electric cars here in Australia. How are we going to compete making electric cars here when most of them will also be made in China and shipped here for a fraction of the price? It's the same old story over and over again. Then there is the problem of how long they take to charge when you are on the run. Who can wait an hour or many hours at a mobile charging station? Imagine a line of flat electric cars waiting to charge at a station? If you can get a full charge from a nearly flat battery in around 5 minutes then let me know about how good electric cars are...lol
Not making cars of any type is an issue. This last year has shown us how we need to have local manufacturing.

Electric cars coming in will be a forced way of stopping many people from owning cars. It's all fine, well and good for people with garages to have the cars charge when parked at home. We may even get wireless charging for cars. There's talk of capacitors that charge extremely quickly that would fulfil most peoples driving needs, with the larger batteries kept for long trips. Yet, how do you charge at home if you have to park on the street?

It's a massive shakeup coming and lack of preparation will make it worse. Unless there's a rapid break through in replacement fuel. Regardless, oil won't last forever so the change is inevitable.

Lack of preparation for this change will simply make the impact harder. The class divide on cars larger.

Maybe bikes could be the future of transport here in Melbourne, they certainly seem to be getting more and more laneway room on all our roads here it's beyond the joke. The cars are losing complete lanes to make way for more and more empty bike lanes. But does the bike user actually have to pay any high registration fees to use the roads like the motorist does? nope not a cent! :rolleyes:

Bikes are awful for the roads. It's purely an ideological position you can have bikes and cars sharing the roads and not make traffic and travel times worse for cars. I don't know how you overlay it on a city like Melbourne but bikes need their own dedicated infrastructure. Also, they need to separate shared bike/pedestrian tracks where they can.

It all comes back to the political class not looking to the future and preparing to make it less shit. A few years ago I was speaking to someone who worked in infrastructure policy. Low level. They were talking about fewer people owning cars. More people riding bikes, taking public transport. Utopian shit. I pointed out that it's not reasonable to expect my elderly mother to be riding a bike. How do you transport large items or shopping?

I mentioned that where I live to the local shopping centre is a 10-15 minutes drive. It would take me that time alone to walk to the bus stop. Before you add wait and travel times.

They acknowledged my points as valid and seemed to have never considered that side of it.

It's all just managing things getting worse, not aiming to try and make them better.

I don't know much about it to comment, but there is a lot of investment in trying to find a new juice that doesn't emit CO2. So maybe that will come along in time. However, there's no getting around the big car manufacturers taking a massive swing towards electric this decade and we need to prepare for that. Ideally, we can have both electric and juice cars.

I was watching Chris Harris asked about this recently and he doesn't think the future will be all-electric for cars.

Not making cars of any type is an issue. This last year has shown us how we need to have local manufacturing.

Electric cars coming in will be a forced way of stopping many people from owning cars. It's all fine, well and good for people with garages to have the cars charge when parked at home. We may even get wireless charging for cars. There's talk of capacitors that charge extremely quickly that would fulfil most peoples driving needs, with the larger batteries kept for long trips. Yet, how do you charge at home if you have to park on the street?

It's a massive shakeup coming and lack of preparation will make it worse. Unless there's a rapid break through in replacement fuel. Regardless, oil won't last forever so the change is inevitable.

Lack of preparation for this change will simply make the impact harder. The class divide on cars larger.

Bikes are awful for the roads. It's purely an ideological position you can have bikes and cars sharing the roads and not make traffic and travel times worse for cars. I don't know how you overlay it on a city like Melbourne but bikes need their own dedicated infrastructure. Also, they need to separate shared bike/pedestrian tracks where they can.

It all comes back to the political class not looking to the future and preparing to make it less shit. A few years ago I was speaking to someone who worked in infrastructure policy. Low level. They were talking about fewer people owning cars. More people riding bikes, taking public transport. Utopian shit. I pointed out that it's not reasonable to expect my elderly mother to be riding a bike. How do you transport large items or shopping?

I mentioned that where I live to the local shopping centre is a 10-15 minutes drive. It would take me that time alone to walk to the bus stop. Before you add wait and travel times.

They acknowledged my points as valid and seemed to have never considered that side of it.

It's all just managing things getting worse, not aiming to try and make them better.

I hate trying to get past bikes on narrow roads.

Back