Skip to main content

Do we have a politics thread to discuss things political?

WTF
Politicians talking about changes, to recognise different trade qualifications across states

Why hasn’t this been sorted out decades ago?
Professions sorted it out long ago

As @up_all_night says, we are a dumb country
We need to get smarter very quickly
Can the Federal Gov unilaterally override state laws on this?

What is even more fucked up is those that have put solar panels on thier roof are now being penalised by the power either not being allowed to go into the grid, or the power companies looking to no longer pay or possibly even charge people to put the power they generate into the grid. So people will disconnect thier solar panels as it will be too expensive, and fossil fuels will continue...

Wasn't it once a dream for Nikola Tesla to design a network of free power delivery to the people? What ever happened to that idea? Yep you guessed it, there is no way that the powers that be will ever allow the masses to have access to any sort of free power system. I don't think this will be happening anytime soon either.

Wasn't it once a dream for Nikola Tesla to design a network of free power delivery to the people? What ever happened to that idea? Yep you guessed it, there is no way that the powers that be will ever allow the masses to have access to any sort of free power system. I don't think this will be happening anytime soon either.

We're going to be fucked in a few years if we don't build the electric car infrastructure. It was so stupid at the last election with the liberals running against preparing for electric cars. Claiming Shorten is "stealing your ute and the weekend." We could very well find ourselves in a few years to have very limited car buying or quality car buying options when all the main manufacturers are almost entirely making electric cars and we haven't prepared for them. Of course after destroying our car industry. Where they'll say, "it's not practical for Australia." When really they just aren't practical for a country that denied they were inevitable in the short term and still wanted to rely on petrol cars. Of course with no means to build petrol cars for the actual situations electric cars aren't practical.

I'm a bit old hat and must say a self confessed petrol head and I really am addicted to machinery that burns the old dino juice...lol

I love the old classic cars and I even love my old classic Aussie Victa 2 stroke lawnmower which I won't stop using until I literally can't get petrol from the bowser at the servo anymore...lol. Which I hope won't be for many years yet...

Again speaking of making any electric cars here in Australia. How are we going to compete making electric cars here when most of them will also be made in China and shipped here for a fraction of the price? It's the same old story over and over again. Then there is the problem of how long they take to charge when you are on the run. Who can wait an hour or many hours at a mobile charging station? Imagine a line of flat electric cars waiting to charge at a station? If you can get a full charge from a nearly flat battery in around 5 minutes then let me know about how good electric cars are...lol

Maybe bikes could be the future of transport here in Melbourne, they certainly seem to be getting more and more laneway room on all our roads here it's beyond the joke. The cars are losing complete lanes to make way for more and more empty bike lanes. But does the bike user actually have to pay any high registration fees to use the roads like the motorist does? nope not a cent! :rolleyes:

I'm a bit old hat and must say a self confessed petrol head and I really am addicted to machinery that burns the old dino juice...lol

I love the old classic cars and I even love my old classic Aussie Victa 2 stroke lawnmower which I won't stop using until I literally can't get petrol from the bowser at the servo anymore...lol. Which I hope won't be for many years yet...

Again speaking of making any electric cars here in Australia. How are we going to compete making electric cars here when most of them will also be made in China and shipped here for a fraction of the price? It's the same old story over and over again. Then there is the problem of how long they take to charge when you are on the run. Who can wait an hour or many hours at a mobile charging station? Imagine a line of flat electric cars waiting to charge at a station? If you can get a full charge from a nearly flat battery in around 5 minutes then let me know about how good electric cars are...lol

Maybe bikes could be the future of transport here in Melbourne, they certainly seem to be getting more and more laneway room on all our roads here it's beyond the joke. The cars are losing complete lanes to make way for more and more empty bike lanes. But does the bike user actually have to pay any high registration fees to use the roads like the motorist does? nope not a cent! :rolleyes:

Yeah until they significantly improve the electric car I'll stick to the petrol version

Yeah until they significantly improve the electric car I'll stick to the petrol version

Mate it's not only that but another major hurdle is the huge pricetag when new. It will be many years away until you can pick up a second hand electric car for a few grand or so. Problem with those electric cars will be the used batteries. How much does a replacement battery cost? Probably almost as much as the purchase price of the car? lol

Well anyway the only way I will ever think about purchasing an electric car is when I can no longer drive my petrol driven car on the road.

Back