Skip to main content

Did pairs kill Big Brother 2014?

I don't think the pairs thing was that bad of an idea.
And I don't think it killed the show.
Everyone's going on as if this season has been a total flop,
I think it's been pretty good.

While not of fan of the "pairs" thing don't think it is what killed BB2014. Think it is a whole lot of things that have combined to create a really bad BB. Some of the HM's where the wrong choice, crap website, no live feeds (last year there was some attempt to at least with updates - crap as it was), no finding out what the HM's are really like, too many add breaks, no live nomination show, allowing talk about nominations, showing too much of certain HM's and not enough of others..........the list could go on.
Can't help think that BB producers after seeing how Tim won and how popular he was decided the way to go was to make it more of a game like Survivor - it was a bad choice.
If BB doesn't come back next year I won't be a bit surprised.

Ah, it's not dead yet.

It was a shit show last year, too, in the early daily shows, until they snapped out of all the cutesy stunts with Ben13 and started showing some unedited, more flowing footage, after mucho complaining on here. It's taking a bit longer to find its feet this year, and there is the later time slot, of course, and then all the stuff noted above in the post by @aragon. The cast isn't as likeable for me, as yet, this year, but this season is still not beyond resuscitation. Looks like they're dropping the pairs early, thank Priya. It will go back to its former timeslot when that interminable dog the Block finally finishes. Timmy's going in. Yay! I refuse to give up hope.

Fix our show, bitches!

Many thinks has killed this season. The HM as same old same old. No new ideas to many gimmicks. No live feeds. This season should kill the series for good. Channel 9 has totally wrecked Big Brother. Give it back to Channel 10 or go back to how it was in the first season.

While not of fan of the "pairs" thing don't think it is what killed BB2014. Think it is a whole lot of things that have combined to create a really bad BB. Some of the HM's where the wrong choice, crap website, no live feeds (last year there was some attempt to at least with updates - crap as it was), no finding out what the HM's are really like, too many add breaks, no live nomination show, allowing talk about nominations, showing too much of certain HM's and not enough of others..........the list could go on.
Can't help think that BB producers after seeing how Tim won and how popular he was decided the way to go was to make it more of a game like Survivor - it was a bad choice.
If BB doesn't come back next year I won't be a bit surprised.

Agree with some of the housemates being the wrong choice. If they removed Cat, Aisha and Ryan off the show you would't even notice. Maybe once they get more airtime they might be more interesting...

I don't like the characterisation crap they pull, why the need to box and label every HM they put in the house? Why the need for gimmicks?

I do like that they actually let them drink these days, and show (some of) it. I also like Lawson. oh hunny

We had pairs in the US but they went about it completely differently. They had a set of housemates come into the house, then ppl from their pasts etc. came into the house to play as their partner. They had a brother and sister that didn't know they were brother and sister until later when talking and realized wow, we're related. Exes paired up, father/daughter, etc. It kind of worked.

I don't see the pairs in BBAUS this year lasting long, I can see them breaking this up and everyone playing individually. I think it would go better. You got ppl who are liked paired with ppl others don't like and causing them problems...not working well. Should have been done different.

It's the housemates in my opinion, they are so boring this year.
There isn't a stand out.
No one brings anything new - I personally liked Michael from 2012 and Tim from 2013 and for me there is no one that can be like them this year and all the housemates they've brought in are like Ryan 2012 and Matt 2013 standard of entertaining

katie thinks like she's making drama but she's just coming across as bitchy and fake.

Get the housemates out and bring new ones in...this years bunch are all YAWWWNNN

Agree with some of the housemates being the wrong choice. If they removed Cat, Aisha and Ryan off the show you would't even notice. Maybe once they get more airtime they might be more interesting...
Pretty much if you remove all the housemates you wouldn't even notice.

People go on every year about how bad it is 'this year'.

2014 is fine. It takes awhile to get into every year because there's so many people, and storylines take time to develop.

I don't know how you can say it is fine when they are scrambling to reconfigure the show. They are dropping their huge twist even before the first eviction and after a huge buildup. They dedicated the first episode to setting up these complicated, and unnecessary, changes.

My guess is that no one is voting. I have heard nothing at all about voting. Those numbers, a dramatic drop in votes, when 8 people are nominated,would get their attention more than anything we post here.

People go on every year about how bad it is 'this year'.

2014 is fine. It takes awhile to get into every year because there's so many people, and storylines take time to develop.

I don't know how you can say it is fine when they are scrambling to reconfigure the show. They are dropping their huge twist even before the first eviction and after a huge buildup. They dedicated the first episode to setting up these complicated, and unnecessary, changes.

My guess is that no one is voting. I have heard nothing at all about voting. Those numbers, a dramatic drop in votes, when 8 people are nominated,would get their attention more than anything we post here.

The fact they are putting Tim in the house clearly shows that it isn't fine. I can't remember an outside coming in so early in any previous seasons and an outside talking at that. Last season, despite the house being divided there were already housemates who were making good television (Tim, Tully, Tahan and Ben). If it was just one thing, the show would still be going well. But the producers have failed in many different areas this year ... the housemate selection, the pairs. There's been too much too soon. Just make it less complicated for a while.

The pairs could of worked. I was excited about the idea at first, but now I can hardly even watch the show.

I so want to love this season, but am serious considering not even continuing watching. Please get better soon BB I miss you xoxo.

So if they do things to try and make the show interesting, that means it's failing? Isn't it their job to try and make the show interesting? And every year it's the job of half the people on forums to complain how terrible it all is. There's so many television options out there that I don't understand why so many people watch just to bag it.

Each to their own I guess, it's just a bit depressing to see all the negativity every year. I like Big Brother. :)

So if they do things to try and make the show interesting, that means it's failing? Isn't it their job to try and make the show interesting? And every year it's the job of half the people on forums to complain how terrible it all is. There's so many television options out there that I don't understand why so many people watch just to bag it.

Each to their own I guess, it's just a bit depressing to see all the negativity every year. I like Big Brother. :)

I don't think they have made the show interesting though. I think that's the point people are trying to put across here. The choice of housemates is bland. They don't seem to be connecting very well at all with the public which means not many people are voting and less revenue for 9.
They have removed the live feeds which gave people something to talk about during the day and are trying to get people to download the jump in app instead. This is a sleazy move. Much as I love BB I'm not being suckered into downloading anything that eats up data on my phone.
The pairs could have worked if the housemates were more interesting but as they are as bland as home brand cheese its fallen flat.
We have a Tully 2.0, a wannabe Tim 2.0 and a whole heap of meatheads and bitching about nothing.
The no food challenge fell flat. The pairs challenge has been boring as hell........ This is why people are complaining. BB could be and used to be a great show. Channel 9 has ruined it with over editing and clear favouritism of some housemates over others. The story lines and fledgling showmances are ringing false. Alex and co haven't listened to the fans. They've done what they've wanted and now they are panicking as they have realised they have stuffed up epically hence the panicked move of sending Tim back into the house.
If 9 was happy with the way the show was rating why would they be doing that so early in the season or dropping the much hyped about and promoted pairs 2 weeks in?
I'm a huge fan, I'm just really disappointed with this season

I disagree. I think the pairs concept is interesting. What is ruining everything is that there is no life stream so we cannot watch the HM on our own, get to know them, read updates etc.

It is ironic that BB had stream before most people had a good enough internet connection to get full value out of it and now we all do, there is no stream.

I disagree. I think the pairs concept is interesting. What is ruining everything is that there is no life stream so we cannot watch the HM on our own, get to know them, read updates etc.

It is ironic that BB had stream before most people had a good enough internet connection to get full value out of it and now we all do, there is no stream.
I agree that the no live stream was a huge mistake on the part of the producers but I heard that the pairs are being dropped as of this week so I'm assuming they didn't accomplish what the producers were hoping they would.

Like everything else BB does, it won't last. So although I can't stand this pairs scenario, it will probably dissolve in a few weeks. Mind you i do like the friendships forming from some of the pairings. Aisha and Lawson seem to enjoy each other as mates without strings. As do Travis and Kat. Meh, i won't mind it as long as the HMs vote out the correct person out of the pair.

Killing the pairs so early kills the show as it suggests no confidence from producers, although history shows BB Aus always kills their launch twist prior to the first eviction.

IMO it should have carried on at least one more week, with the first eviction being that of a pair then the second being the twist where one person from a pair goes. They could then even switch to an individual game but keep the pairs thing in the background by just giving an incentive for the pairs to reach the final - so for example any pair that makes the final 3 splits a $50k bonus. That means the pairs no longer have to work together but it is to their advantage to keep each other in the house - and to other HMs advantage to split the pairs up.

Back