Skip to main content

Did pairs kill Big Brother 2014?

Brent

I know I'm clearly not the only one feeling the superficial quality of this season and its going downhill, I can't help but think this would be better had people not been in pairs.

I know Big Brother Australia loves to do "world firsts" but honestly no one gives a shit, your viewers don't care if this is the first time it has been done on Big Brother - most of the time there is a good reason it hasn't been done!

It's affecting everything, watching nominations I was cringing! The reasons were pathetic, half of the pairs disagreed with one another.

Everyone is watching themselves BECAUSE they have to get along with their partner there is no other choice - imagine the fights we would have if Katie and Priya weren't partners? or Skye and Lisa? and it would weed out those who have zero personality and are relying on their better halves to pull them through...*cough* Jason and Dion..

I'm hoping that the producers will realise this pairs thing is not working and ditch the idea just like the split the house in two idea - which was obviously always going to be ditched midway through.

I agree.

I'm also not a fan of the 'pairs' thing. I hope they would ditch it in a couple of weeks, like they did with the stupid 'half house' thing last year.

Just because it's "world first" doesn't mean it's good, people. :thumbsdown:

Oh, Jason is lively and vibrant. He has personality. Dion is the one who doesn't...

I know I'm clearly not the only one feeling the superficial quality of this season and its going downhill, I can't help but think this would be better had people not been in pairs.

I know Big Brother Australia loves to do "world firsts" but honestly no one gives a shit, your viewers don't care if this is the first time it has been done on Big Brother - most of the time there is a good reason it hasn't been done!

It's affecting everything, watching nominations I was cringing! The reasons were pathetic, half of the pairs disagreed with one another.

Everyone is watching themselves BECAUSE they have to get along with their partner there is no other choice - imagine the fights we would have if Katie and Priya weren't partners? or Skye and Lisa? and it would weed out those who have zero personality and are relying on their better halves to pull them through...*cough* Jason and Dion..

I'm hoping that the producers will realise this pairs thing is not working and ditch the idea just like the split the house in two idea - which was obviously always going to be ditched midway through.

Minor part of the reason why this year is not working but there are more major reasons I believe.

I agree.

I'm also not a fan of the 'pairs' thing. I hope they would ditch it in a couple of weeks, like they did with the stupid 'half house' thing last year.

Just because it's "world first" doesn't mean it's good, people. :thumbsdown:

I heard Tim is going to be cutting the pair thing and announcing they will be competing individually on Sunday.
Some article from the other thread mentioned that but I don't know the source.

I heard Tim is going to be cutting the pair thing and announcing they will be competing individually on Sunday.
Some article from the other thread mentioned that but I don't know the source.
Oh please be true!! :woot:

Not necessarily, the HORRENDOUS editing did the most.

I agree. I do not think the pairs twist was bad at all. It's the editing and contrived stuff that we have had with this show for the past 3 years. It's boring. No one is going to tune into a "late night feast" party with contrived conversations and dancing every week.

Lack of the live tweets and videos are causing no interest as well.

It is like the producers are going backwards not forward.

There are tons of problems with this season, which is why I'm skimming this board and not even watching the show.
I think some genius finally realized that people won't vote when they can't be sure the person they support won't be voted out by the housemates.

Playing as pairs could be fine ,and even fun, if they managed it correctly.

It is ridiculous that this was the main premise of the launch, and it crashed so hard they have to send in Tim to try to make it better.

I feel that the designer who came up with this twists, that took away every key aspect of big brother Australia from last year, had no sense at all of the show.

It's a stupid concept which I believe has ruined what Big Brother is about. Working in pairs or being able to go into a power room to discuss in two pairs who to nominate totally defeats the purpose of the game. It's not survivor where you need make alliances. Personally one of my favourite things about Big Brother is seeing the housemates trying to work out who nominated them and the drama that follows.

It's a stupid concept which I believe has ruined what Big Brother is about. Working in pairs or being able to go into a power room to discuss in two pairs who to nominate totally defeats the purpose of the game. It's not survivor where you need make alliances. Personally one of my favourite things about Big Brother is seeing the housemates trying to work out who nominated them and the drama that follows.
The pairs could have been done,in that they play tasks together and have to be together, but the nominations could still have been done individually. A lot of stuff didn't have to be changed and they went way too far to in creating the entire show around the pairs.

The pairs could have been done,in that they play tasks together and have to be together, but the nominations could still have been done individually.

True ... Even them having to sleep next to each other seems forced. I can't wait for them to be playing by themselves and sleeping where they want :)

I agree with most people in this thread - pairs is not the problem. In fact, pairs is actually a great format that should be carried through for the entire season. But nope, Alex is a whimp and has canned it before it could flourish.

The reason why BBAU is turning people's backs up is 1. bad editing 2. no live feeds. 3 contrived shows 4. lack of any natural footage 5. reliance on stupid gags 6. Tim Dormer returning is the final nail in the coffin.

If BBAU really wanted a true world first, they'd stick with the pairs format, (including being evicted as pairs). People wouldn't like to see their favourite housemate inadvertently being evicted because of their partner, but ultimately it would make people watch more. Too bad the current production staff are whimps.

I agree with most people in this thread - pairs is not the problem. In fact, pairs is actually a great format that should be carried through for the entire season. But nope, Alex is a whimp and has canned it before it could flourish.

The reason why BBAU is turning people's backs up is 1. bad editing 2. no live feeds. 3 contrived shows 4. lack of any natural footage 5. reliance on stupid gags 6. Tim Dormer returning is the final nail in the coffin.

If BBAU really wanted a true world first, they'd stick with the pairs format, (including being evicted as pairs). People wouldn't like to see their favourite housemate inadvertently being evicted because of their partner, but ultimately it would make people watch more. Too bad the current production staff are whimps.

I would agree with evicting as pairs, if the housemates had no say in it. People would vote to save someone they loved, if there was such a person in the house, no matter their partner.

By completely changing the voting mechanic and letting the housemates decide, they removed all incentive to vote to save anyone( unless maybe you have a relative in the house.)

I don't think the production staff are wimps as much as they fundamentally fail to understand what was great about big brother Australia last year. They changed every single aspect of the show, needlessly. It might have sounded great on paper, but they utterly failed to think through how it would play out in real life.

By the way, big brother US did pairs already, so this isn't a world first. I'm sure others did as well.

Last edited:
Back