Skip to main content

Deaths of Minor Celebrities

Big Ang from Mob Wives...Cancer, she was 55. :(
http://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainment/celebrity/reality-star-angela-big-ang-raiola-dies-aged-55/ar-BBpFWkI?li
BBpEOAQ.img

A beautiful genius, he was my favourite living author and academic, his essays and intellectual arguments will be greatly missed.
His books are sublime.
Prof Semiotics.

His novels are full of subtle, often multilingual, references to literature and history. Eco's work illustrates the concept of intertextuality, or the inter-connectedness of all literary works. Eco cited James Joyce and Jorge Luis Borges as the two modern authors who have influenced his work the most.
220px-Umberto_Eco_1984.jpg

Before he was a best-selling novelist, Umberto Eco’s reputation rested on his academic writings on language and semiotics (the study of symbols). An Italian critic, philosopher and historian specializing in medieval history, Eco’s first important book was 1959’s Art and Beauty in the Middle Ages. During the 1960s he taught at several Italian universities and wrote essays for the avant-garde magazine Il Verri. In the ’70s he took a position as a professor at the University of Bologna and furthered his reputation with columns, essays and books such as A Theory of Semiotics(1976). In 1980 his first novel, The Name of the Rose, was published and was a surprise bestseller, vaulting Eco to international fame (a 1986 film version starred Sean Connery). He continued teaching and writing, publishing non-fiction books such as Semiotics and the Philosophy of Language (1984) and popular novels such as Foucault’s Pendulum (1988) and Baudolino (2000).

FOUCAULT'S PENDULUM, is a brilliant amazing book.
In Foucault's Pendulum (1988), three under-employed editors who work for a minor publishing house decide to amuse themselves by inventing a conspiracy theory. Their conspiracy, which they call "The Plan", is about an immense and intricate plot to take over the world by a secret order descended from the Knights Templar. As the game goes on, the three slowly become obsessed with the details of this plan. The game turns dangerous when outsiders learn of The Plan, and believe that the men have really discovered the secret to regaining the lost treasure of the Templars.

latest

Frank Kelly death: Tributes paid to 'Father Jack' actor

Tributes have been paid to Irish actor Frank Kelly, best known for playing Father Jack Hackett in the comedy sitcom Father Ted, who has died aged 77.

Kelly was a veteran of stage and screen, his career lasting 60 years.

He had more recent roles in Emmerdale and Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie.

Kelly revealed last November that he had been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, although he said he would continue to work.

He had received the all-clear from bowel cancer in 2011. He was treated for skin cancer last year and also had heart problems.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-35682191

Jon English. Complications with surgery.

Those eyes....

...I'm devastated... I met him and he was such a nice bloke... what a shame... RIP Jon English... cheers.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...6/news-story/c022abc205cef0b66ef2e007ab15e34c

____________________________________________________________________________________

Australian star Jon English dead at 66
March 10, 20168:34am
21f8bd8db50a077f9a21a4d19bd11398

Jon English has died at age 66. Picture: Russell Shakespeare

news.com.au

The much loved singer-songwriter passed away overnight due to complications from surgery.

He died surrounded by family, including his four children Jessamin, Josephine, Jonnie and Julian, and his wife Carmen.

English shot to fame in the early 1970s in his role as Judas in the Australian version of stage musical Jesus Christ Superstar.

35dd627242b7595876a454e7d5b50d0e

Jon English was a star of stage and screen.

He picked up a Logie Award for best new talent in 1979 for his starring role in Australian TV series Against the Wind, and went on to become well known for his roles in Gilbert and Sullivan operettas.

In the 1990s, he starred in Australian sitcom All Together Now alongside Rebeca Gibney and now Today show weatherman Steve Jacobs.

Just two weeks ago, English fell ill and was hospitalised, waiting to undergo “a small operation”, his fans were advised on Facebook.

A photo of the weary performer in a hospital bed was accompanied by a hopeful message, that he was “expected to make a full recovery over the coming weeks”.

09b179f3d4e25f04a9b4fb9fedc5f03f

Jon English was “itching” to get back to “rocking out on stage” with his fans when he fell ill only two weeks ago.

His deterioration was documented on Facebook page, where regretful messages were posted apologising to fans he had to pull out of various performances.

“He apologies to all his fans who were looking forward to the day, but assures everyone he will be back to full health and rocking out on stage with you all again very soon (he is in fact itching to do so!),” a message posted just three days ago read.

Entertainment reporter Peter Ford paid tribute to the stage and screen star, breaking the news on radio this morning.

“He never stopped working, always out there trying to get new projects up and going,” he said.

He was 66 years old.

Well that's sad news about Jon English.

I saw "Jesus Christ Superstar" as a kid with mum and I can remember it being very lively and colourful (can't remember Jon in it though).

I also remember that song "Six Ribbons" which he sang and it was quite catchy the lyrics.

R.I.P.

Back