Skip to main content

Deaths of Minor Celebrities

That poor Indian rape victim has died after being flown to Singapore - and that was possibly political, moving her.

Hopefully change is coming for women in India, who are often forced to marry their rapists - errrrrrrrrr, and rapists continue to roam free harassing past victims until they committ suicide.
And OMG, some of the details.

Not dead yet....but serious :(

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton admitted to hospital with blood clot following concussion, it has been reported.

I read a couple of weeks ago about her hitting her head, hope she's ok. An article from today:

http://us.cnn.com/2012/12/30/politics/hillary-clinton-hospitalized/index.html

p.s. She would get her own thread. ;)

I can remember reading a article just after she left Australia earlier in December on the unplanned trip to Eygpt, how she had travelled by air non-stop for several weeks and I was amazed with how many time zones she had encountered. Sounds glamourous travelling everywhere by jet, but the long hours and lack of mobility play havoc with your health.

Not well known but another of those people who should be major celebrities instead of randoms who can sing a song or throw a ball and make themselves rich.

Nobel prize winner Rita Levi-Montalcini passed away this weekend at the age of 103.

Levi-Montalcini enrolled in medical school in 1930 despite her father's objections (who believed that the role of a woman was to be a wife and mother, not an academic). She earned a degree in medicine and surgery, but her post-graduate career was cut short when Mussolini issued his "Manifesto of Race" which barred those of Jewish descent from professional careers. Rather than fleeing the country, Levi-Montalcini chose to stay in Italy and continue her work alone. She built a small research unit at her home and installed it in her bedroom.

She spent time on her research and as a physician during the war, and then returned to academic life afterwards. In 1947 she joined Washington University and became a full professor there in 1958. In 1962 she established a research unit in Rome, splitting her time between there and St. Louis, and in 1969 she became the Director of the Institute of Cell Biology of the Italian National Council of Research.

In 1986, Levi-Montalcini and Stanley Cohen were awarded the Nobel Prize in physiology or medicine for isolating nerve growth factor from tumor cells.

Although she officially retired in 1977, she never truly stopped working as a scientist or an educator. Eight years ago she founded the European Brain Research Institute (EBRI) in Rome. She (along with her sister Paola) also founded the Rita Levi-Montalcini Foundation which focuses on the education of girls and young women in Africa. In 2001 she was appointed an Italian Senator-for-life.

Levi-Montalcini was truly an inspiring woman and she will be greatly missed.

Watch an interview with Levi-Montalcini here: http://bit.ly/ZMklM3
Read more about her life and work here: http://bit.ly/12QFbs8

61079_512871135411230_1990896062_n.jpg

Alice Pyne . She was a 17 year old girl with terminal cancer from the UK who started a bucket list two years ago. I have been following her story...very sad :( can't post a link as I am on my iPod ..

Not well known but another of those people who should be major celebrities instead of randoms who can sing a song or throw a ball and make themselves rich.

Nobel prize winner Rita Levi-Montalcini passed away this weekend at the age of 103.

What a truly amazing human being, no comparison between her contribution to the world as compared to a person who has a good set of vocal cords or a good aim.

Alice Pyne . She was a 17 year old girl with terminal cancer from the UK who started a bucket list two years ago. I have been following her story...very sad :( can't post a link as I am on my iPod ..

Very sad it's why we need people like Rita Levi-Montalcini who dedicate their life to research rather than the more lucrative areas of medicine.

Here's the link
http://alicepyne.blogspot.com.au/

Last edited:
...what a magnificent young lady... sadly she won't make that Royal Garden Party in May that was on her Bucket List... but she gave it a good try... thanks for the info ausbjfan and the followup link eliza... I had no idea about this young girls plight until today... good on her for achieving as much as she diid... cheers.

Back