Skip to main content

Episode Day 24 (1/10/2014) Intruder Special

Well Sonia is on a roll tonight. She thought Leo was coming down the walkway, forgot he was Canadian AND said Canadia...

For fucks sake.

For suck sakes for sure! That said it's a common error... I think it stems from the fact that someone from America is an American and a lot of Australian's think that it's just a thin line that separates us...

Skye and Sandra probably both know him from the GC auditions. Sandra's reaction to him entering the kitchen suggested she knew Leo...
That's what I thought too - the way she pointed and said "hey". I like him so far. He has a nice personalilty, polite, is cute and seems to be able to hold a conversation.

For suck sakes for sure! That said it's a common error... I think it stems from the fact that someone from America is an American and a lot of Australian's think that it's just a thin line that separates us...
Other than the diphthong in about (i.e. aboot, that's the only dead give away I'm aware of) are there any significant discernible differences between American and Canadian accents?

Other than the diphthong in about (i.e. aboot, that's the only dead give away I'm aware of) are there any significant discernible differences between American and Canadian accents?
With apologies to @Kingston if I'm generalising: one example would be words like "sorry" and "tomorrow." US: saw-ry. CAN: soar-y. I also feel there's a distinct difference in the cadence of speech that I can't quite put my finger on. I'm no linguistics expert, and as an American you just sort of have an ear for it.

I know it's used to refer to citizens of the U.S. most commonly, but in the same way you would say somebody from Brazil is "South American", somebody from Canada is "North American". Both a Brazilian and a Canadian are technically "American" for living in the Americas.

I can see why it would piss them off though, as it is likely most people do incorrectly assume they are from the U.S.

The term "America's" is a very archaic term that hasn't been in common use for at least a significant portion of the last century... It's like saying Jamaica is in the West Indies when that area of the word is more commonly referred to as The Caribbean in modern society...

The term "American" applied to those that live in the United States of America ONLY and is not a blanket term for a population of millions of people across two continents... And lets be serious here would you refer to someone from New Guinea or several other countries as an Australian? I mean they live on the continent of Australia?

I don't understand why this conversation has to be had all the fucking time... I'm not sure why it's so hard for you people to get your head around the fact that those that live above the 49th parallel are called Canadian's and those that live in one of the 50 states of the USA are called American's... I understand that the border that separates the two countries looks like a very line black line on a map, that we sounds alike to the untrained ear, and that the name of the land mass we share is North America but we are in fact two very different peoples with different a different history, culture, and values... I don't appreciate being refered to as something I am NOT...

I do not say aboot and I don't know of anyone I have encountered that does... I have noticed that eastern accents do have a more pronounced "ou"... Accent wise there is some overlap in places but we do have fairly distinct differences... I mean to the untrained ear all Australian accents sound very similar... I'd say for your average Canadian it can be hard to tell the difference between an Australian, Kiwi, English, or even South African accent...

With apologies to @Kingston if I'm generalising: one example would be words like "sorry" and "tomorrow." US: saw-ry. CAN: soar-y. I also feel there's a distinct difference in the cadence of speech that I can't quite put my finger on. I'm no linguistics expert, and as an American you just sort of have an ear for it.

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head with that one... That said even I can't tell the difference some times... When I was serving there would be times I would have never known someone was an American if they hadn't mentioned it or picked up on a distinctly American word like "rest room"...

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head with that one... That said even I can't tell the difference some times... When I was serving there would be times I would have never known someone was an American if they hadn't mentioned it or picked up on a distinctly American word like "rest room"...
Same. Living in Australia, it's kind of a game for me to overhear someone talking and try to figure out whether they're American or Canadian. Some people are unmistakable, of course, but it can be impossible to tell right away unless those key phrases or sounds pop up.

I generally find it pretty easy to distinguish between the two accents, but I couldn't possibly tell you why. The Canadian one is possibly a bit softer? That said, this is only in "real life" I would never pick that Biebs, for example, isn't American from auditory reasons alone. But anyone I encounter in real life I can identify as Canadian or American pretty easily, including Ryan/Leo straight away, and I am by no means an expert or someone with high exposure to either.

I know that both nationalities dislike being identified as the other, but I'm pretty sure referring to anyone from the Americas/Pan-America as "American" is technically correct, and ths does include Canadians (along with anyone from Central or South America). But you'd have to be pretty bloody audacious to call a Canadian an American!

The term "America's" is a very archaic term that hasn't been in common use for at least a significant portion of the last century... It's like saying Jamaica is in the West Indies when that area of the word is more commonly referred to as The Caribbean in modern society...

The term "American" applied to those that live in the United States of America ONLY and is not a blanket term for a population of millions of people across two continents... And lets be serious here would you refer to someone from New Guinea or several other countries as an Australian? I mean they live on the continent of Australia?

I don't understand why this conversation has to be had all the fucking time... I'm not sure why it's so hard for you people to get your head around the fact that those that live above the 49th parallel are called Canadian's and those that live in one of the 50 states of the USA are called American's... I understand that the border that separates the two countries looks like a very line black line on a map, that we sounds alike to the untrained ear, and that the name of the land mass we share is North America but we are in fact two very different peoples with different a different history, culture, and values... I don't appreciate being refered to as something I am NOT...

I do apologize, Kingston. I realize it's something that frustrates Canadians, as @Mrs Butterface pointed out to me. I was being facetious when I mentioned Sonia still being technically correct to call Leo an "American". It was meant in the way that you would refer to people from Europe as Europeans, people from Africa as Africans, people from Asia as Asians, people from North America as North Americans, etc. Living in Australia, I think it's more common to hear people use such a blanket term to describe people living on the continent, and I've heard it used here as such in the past.

I am aware individual countries have their own unique history and culture and understand that with the more general use of "Americans" to describe U.S. citizens, that it's going to irk somebody who lives in America, but not the U.S. to hear themselves described as such.

Finally got to watch a couple of episodes back to back (and keep up with the thread!)....
My take:
It's certainly not the same show I started following a while back but it's close enough to keep me interested and certainly not to a point where I feel the need to jump on here and piss and moan every 3minutes! Having said that I will start with a couple of gripes!!!............
Firstly Sonia......Sonia, Sonia, Sonia I don't know who's idea it was for you to stand there and commentate the Leo Lisa meet and greet but wow that was aweful! And I do miss the days of "Everyday housemates" but considering 30% of my interest is to admire the girls form I can't comment too much on the meatheads they throw in constantly......everyone gets their eye candy I suppose but it's a shame it seems to be at the expense of content and charactor. We all know about the editing and the no live shows/updates/anything! Blah blah blah when this annoys me to the point of hysteria I will stop watching.........
It's too early for me to have favs or otherwise but a couple of observations:
Davids paranioa and conversations that he had with nearly everyone about "Stratergy" or noms talk (which quite clearly is acceptable this year......taking some getting used to but don't hate the idea) got him nominated, it opens the door for easy points and it's too early for that shit.....it may never be a good time in BBAU for stratergy and noms talk!!! (plus he's a dick!)
The mean girls (and guys) everywhere have one thing in common, a superiority complex, not sure about yourself? Put someone else down (usually in front of others) I think it's weak. Especially to someone 10 years younger.......poor old Skye, yes she's an immature 20yo but there's better ways to help her develop than bitching and picking on her!
I do like Priyas considered chats in the diary room (and her banging boobs last night!;)) but I didn't like her repeating convos to others.....I don't mind a bit of gossip here and there, we're only human, I try very hard not to attempt to repeat other peoples words they will never come out the same, if one person wanted the other person to know what was said they would say it to that person directly (does that make sense!).....repeating conversations to others, especially if the other was dicussed is not a good look, strategic or otherwise.
Pee Wee Herman aka Jake the Snake Why did you feel the need to tell everyone you kiss Skye? Dick.....infact all theguys have some work to do to raise their image as far as I'm concerned.......ahhh the nose picker!!!
BB himself was in pretty good form tho I thought.....
There's more but I'm out of time so ending rant!! .......hahaha
oh and good work by Sam with the superpower........keep it the same all the way though is fine by me!

Not to be off-topic, but was there a huge public outcry here about Aisha being at some point from New Zealand and having a bit of a New Zealand accent?!?

I think Reo seems all right (in the context of the sort of types they've decided to cast this year). He certainly deserves points for 'Resting bitch face?' said playfully to Lisa's resting bitch face.

PS: Steggles, you are dead to me. After the cool group v the geeks convo, and capped off by the arrogant entitled diary room nose pick. Eeugh. But nice hair wave. I wonder if he had a permanent set and wave before he went into the house.

I thought the housemates were always going to choose one . That was what ruined the voting system, because people don't want to vote if their favorite might have been evicted by these awful housemates. The housemates didn't know it, but the audience did.
The producers backed off fast when they realized that people didn't want to give the housemates a final say. They shouldn't have allowed it for Gemma, but whatever.

They twist what supposed rules they started out with, by saying its Big Brothers game and he can change the rules whenever he likes. In previous series, we have seen the housemates being told to sit down and read through the applicable rules, such as not wearing their microphones when talking etc. They usually had a booklet of them, so there were quite a few. This series has sunk to an all time low, where there dont appear to be any rules any more and the ones that are there, are the ones that the housemates are making up themselves, as they are allowed to get away with more and more. Hence the really poor reasons being accepted for nominations. They also dont seem to be getting as much alcohol this year, which surprises me, given the later time slot and the footage they could have used in that. It seems as though the staff behind the scenes, have been pared back to a bare minimum and they probably just have a security guard watching the camera feeds between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.

I'm liking Leo/Ryan/whatever we're supposed to call him, because it's almost like having an American in the house and I can live vicariously through him (even though I'm more of the overweight guy he used to be, and an American to boot).

Did we really have to use the Deadly Dozen again? That doesn't seem like much of a Power Play, although I liked how Sam used it.

I generally find it pretty easy to distinguish between the two accents, but I couldn't possibly tell you why. The Canadian one is possibly a bit softer? That said, this is only in "real life" I would never pick that Biebs, for example, isn't American from auditory reasons alone.

I dont think too many people care about where Bieber comes from, even the Canadians would probably disown him, if they could. He is on the list of people who are here for a good time, not a long time, unless he ends up in jail and learns a few life lessons pretty quickly.

Back