Skip to main content

Episode Day 101 (6/11/13): Grand Final (155m) discussion

As someone who lives in the U.S., is this really how you guys saw the shutdown? It really was not that big of a deal. All government workers wound up getting a paid stay at home vacation.

The lovely thing with that story was following it on the several USA forums i visit & the TV news (ABC & SBS here) plus of course BBC & The Guardian online. While most in the US joked about it or were outraged about Obama causing greenhouse poverty for corporations, the US stockmarket was stable ( teaparty & top end republicans keeping it so) meanwhile the world markets were rather skittish. Like here if your view of everything is via Kyle Sandilands & Alan Jones then ones life will be virtual rather than factual.

Forgot to say earlier that I am EXTREMELY disappointed that we didn't get one final Mr Clooney montage - he really was more entertaining than the majority of the housemates :(

For sure.
Such a big personality and such a character.
Mr C should have been up on stage at the GF as well.

Just remembered. Disappointed in Sonia hyping up nothing.

www.tvtonight.com.au/2013/11/sonia-kruger-to-enter-the-big-brother-house.html

Big Brother host Sonia Kruger will enter the house tomorrow night as part of the show’s grand final.

Drew and Boog were evicted at the eleventh hour in Nine’s Big Brother leaving just Tim, Tahan and Jade.

“I will surprise them at some point in the house,” she told TV Tonight.

“(In 2012) I did for the winner, but it’s not like last year.”

So she will be going in to surprise all 3?

“It could be something like that.”

Yeah it was nothing like last year. A short lame cross to the HMs in the backyard while she was sitting in diary room chair.

Yes they got back pay. It really was not that big a deal. Given how much govt intrusion we have, a couple of weeks of freedom were great. Now we've got Obamacare in all its glory. Joy.

My son is living on the curb. I paid someone $4 to hang out with him so child services doesn't come at me....

Mrs. Butterface, keep your chin up. Love the humor you display even in times of adversity.:)

Yeah it was massive.
Almost put the world at risk of recession again.

We were not in any danger of defaulting. The media sensationalized everything. Foolish Republicans heeded the even more foolish Tea Party over the lousy Obamacare. My 401k did really well during the "crisis".

As someone who lives in the U.S., is this really how you guys saw the shutdown? It really was not that big of a deal. All government workers wound up getting a paid stay at home vacation.

Is that really how Americans saw the shutdown?

Oh dear. lol

And carrying shit that makes them look like hobos with handkerchiefs tied to the end of a stick. That's some good watching right there!!

My comp is super slow, so I'm just now reading last night's thread...

Post of the night, CaspersMum! See ya next year, puddytat.

We were not in any danger of defaulting. The media sensationalized everything. Foolish Republicans heeded the even more foolish Tea Party over the lousy Obamacare. My 401k did really well during the "crisis".

Ah ok well I followed it on abc news, as far as I viewed they needed to extend the debt ceiling and were at risk...?
Why don't you like Obama care, isn't that free healthcare?

You do realise how much debt your country is in? And that they cannot keep printing money out of thin air forever?

Ah ok well I followed it on abc news, as far as I viewed they needed to extend the debt ceiling and were at risk...?
Why don't you like Obama care, isn't that free healthcare?

The real default deadline was in early November. There is no way, no how that the country was going to default. Obama is a diva who refuses to cut spending. Obamacare is not free. The system relies on young, healthy people buying insurance in order to pay for all of the expensive healthcare generated by older Americans. They are not going to buy it; they will pay the $100 fine instead of paying hundreds of dollars per month for insurance that they don't believe they need. Moreover, what we are seeing is that about 4 million Americans are about to lose heir health insurance coverage because of the new law. The so-called insurance exchanges do not work. The govt website is a joke. They've spent over $600M on a product that also does not work. Getting off the soapbox now...

You do realise how much debt your country is in? And that they cannot keep printing money out of thin air forever?

Yes, but no one was at risk of defaulting this year. What we need is for someone to go to Washington and exercise some financial common sense. The joker we have in the White House just does not get it. I will say this, however, he speaks real pretty.

Yes, but no one was at risk of defaulting this year. What we need is for someone to go to Washington and exercise some financial common sense. The joker we have in the White House just does not get it. I will say this, however, he speaks real pretty.
You asked if that was how we saw it...that was mild (in my circles at least). Only confirms the GOP is becoming a worlwide joke and that the sooner they strike out the festering boil that is the Tea Party the better off they'll be.

I think Timmy would have been quite happy to stay in the BB house forever, bless him.

He is the eternal Peter Pan and he sees it as his Neverland, ( his safe and happy haven and his very own little kingdom).
Found it quite touching at the end when he was in that big old house all by himself, acting like a lost little boy, savouring his every last moment in there.
He really didn't want to leave at all.

So glad he won.

You asked if that was how we saw it...that was mild (in my circles at least). Only confirms the GOP is becoming a worlwide joke and that the sooner they strike out the festering boil that is the Tea Party the better off they'll be.

I agree 100%. I think that the one good thing about the October shenanigans is the fact that the Tea Party was exposed as being nothing but a group of radicals. The mid-term elections will tell the story.

I frankly admire the fact that Australians seem to be very engaged in what happens in your country. Out here, some people only care about Miley and Kim K.

The real default deadline was in early November. There is no way, no how that the country was going to default.

You're right in saying the deadline wasn't in October. The truth is they wouldn't have known when the deadline was until they reached it, because it's a prediction/estimation. You're also right that the monetary cost of the shutdown is debatable, because it is. However the whole drama is most certainly not a case of the media making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Whether the risk was real or not doesn't matter. What matters is how the general market, that is consumer, perceives the risk. All the talk about debt ceilings and defaulting would have had, without out a doubt, a destabilised effect on confidence. Why? Because the man on the street perceived the risk to be real.

That's what made the drama a big deal because confidence is one of the most important and hardest to manage facets of economic policy. You lose control over confidence and you're opening yourself to a host of problems.

Just look at Australia. Our economy by most measurements is doing great. Yet ask anyone in retail and they'll tell you a different story. Because whilst our economy as a whole is doing comparatively well that isn't the story the man on the street has been hearing or feeling and as such their confidence has decreased which in turn has decreased their spending and as a result we have a retail sector that's struggling.

I agree 100%. I think that the one good thing about the October shenanigans is the fact that the Tea Party was exposed as being nothing but a group of radicals. The mid-term elections will tell the story.

I frankly admire the fact that Australians seem to be very engaged in what happens in your country. Out here, some people only care about Miley and Kim K.
American politics is interesting. I have to tell you that aside from your gun laws (which are incomprehensible to most Australians) the fact that the US seems determined not to implement a health care program that does not rely on private health insurance is gobsmackingly short-sighted and lacking in compassion for those who most need assistance. My friends and I see Obamacare as watered down but at least a step in the right direction. American friends of mine (old Lefties like me) visited recently and the man was hospitalised with a back injury for five days. His bill, which now hangs on his wall in his home in Oregon was for $170.00...for everything. The reason that it cost anything at all was because he wasn't an Australian citizen. Sigh...I don't understand you 'muricans at all ;)

Back