Skip to main content

Celebrity Survivor

Brekkie

Staff member
Decided to test this out whilst waiting for the final to show up.

God, it's so dated and horrible. Not sure who the host is but he's no Pags. Seems completely uninterested and is just generally terrible. The series gets off on a bad foot with an intro to Vanuatu that comes across as racist and mocking rather than respectful of the land where the game is being played, and then the casual sexism is a plenty as the tribes are split along gender lines. Then throw in the completely unnecessary animal cruelty in a challenge involving pigs which does actually get called out (softly) later in the show by someone who works with PETA. It really hasn't aged well.

It's so cheap too - I think we've always appreciated the Ten version as a quality production but watching this really does highlight that it is. The camera work during the first challenge is just so poor - its like someone with a camcorder who stumbled upon them rather than a professional film crew. And so much of the show is through vox pops too rather than action - I've actually felt that's a problem with the current incarnation too with us seeing players talk about relationships and actions rather than us getting to see those relationships and conversations for ourselves - but here it is really noteable.

On the plus side there is the arrival, a second set of arrivals, a rewards challenge, an immunity challenge, a twist and tribal council all within 44 minutes. So that's quite nice and I can live with wasting 44 minutes of my life on that. Tribal was just 4 minutes long.

All I remember is that the cast were shockingly bad - both in terms of being z-grade celebrities and uninteresting people.

Yes - and that's evident very early on. Only one that spiked my interest was Bobby from Home and Away, but an hour in I think the fridge might have been better value.

Decided to test this out whilst waiting for the final to show up.

God, it's so dated and horrible. Not sure who the host is but he's no Pags. Seems completely uninterested and is just generally terrible. The series gets off on a bad foot with an intro to Vanuatu that comes across as racist and mocking rather than respectful of the land where the game is being played, and then the casual sexism is a plenty as the tribes are split along gender lines. Then throw in the completely unnecessary animal cruelty in a challenge involving pigs which does actually get called out (softly) later in the show by someone who works with PETA. It really hasn't aged well.

It's so cheap too - I think we've always appreciated the Ten version as a quality production but watching this really does highlight that it is. The camera work during the first challenge is just so poor - its like someone with a camcorder who stumbled upon them rather than a professional film crew. And so much of the show is through vox pops too rather than action - I've actually felt that's a problem with the current incarnation too with us seeing players talk about relationships and actions rather than us getting to see those relationships and conversations for ourselves - but here it is really noteable.

On the plus side there is the arrival, a second set of arrivals, a rewards challenge, an immunity challenge, a twist and tribal council all within 44 minutes. So that's quite nice and I can live with wasting 44 minutes of my life on that. Tribal was just 4 minutes long.
video unavailable

Back