Skip to main content

Books to Buy

I LOVE Jasper Jones. Have you read Christos Tsiolkas' new novel, Barracuda?

No is any good? Love the Slap so may add it to my reading list.

I got a new kobo for me birthday (as my old one broke :() and a voucher so I'm taking suggestions!

I'm waiting on my kobo to start Allegiant which is real annoying!

No is any good? Love the Slap so may add it to my reading list.

I got a new kobo for me birthday (as my old one broke :() and a voucher so I'm taking suggestions!

I'm waiting on my kobo to start Allegiant which is real annoying!
Barracuda's on my Kindle and I want to start tomorrow. The reviews have been great so far. I love his work. I just finished Tim Winton's new novel, Eyrie too. It's Winton in full flight. When I read Jasper Jones, I could hear Winton on every page, without thinking Silvey had 'copied'.
Isn't Geoffrey in JJ the best comic character written in ages...pathos and all?

Reactions: Tee
I've nearly finished Barracuda. It's excellent. I started it late because I thought I'd read Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. I'm starting to think she should have stopped after The Secret History.

I've just finished Cold Storage Alaska by John Straley. It is brilliant - funny, quirky and brimming with human foibles in a gorgeous setting. I give it a 5/5.

Hey I have fallen in love with reading again thanks to my Kindle app. So I am in search of recommendations.

The last 3 I have read were crackers!

1. The Camel Club - David Baldacci 4/5
2. The Fault in our Stars - John Green 5/5
3.`Song Yet Sung - James McBride 4/5

I am almost finished reading The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. The way the author makes a book about a pedophilic serial killer beautiful to read is simple amazing! So far I give the book 5/5. The only way it could be ruined is if she fucks the last 10%.

I loved the camel club series, the first book is by the best though.

I love reading anything by Ken Follett. My favourite of his has to be the key to Rebecca, I think I've read it 4 times.

I loved the camel club series, the first book is by the best though.

I love reading anything by Ken Follett. My favourite of his has to be the key to Rebecca, I think I've read it 4 times.

Oh my God!

He is my favourite!

Pillars of the Earth is my all time fave!

I have never read Rebecca! Consider it my next Kindle purchase!

Recently I've loved The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro, The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling), Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter and One Day by David Nicholls.

@Inigo Montoya is absolutely right. It's hard to go wrong with Ken Follett.

Recently I've loved The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro, The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling), Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter and One Day by David Nicholls.

@Inigo Montoya is absolutely right. It's hard to go wrong with Ken Follett.

On to my list they go!

:)

@TraLa If you want more of Sebold and don't mind non-fiction I highly recommend her memoir Lucky which chronicles her rape as college freshman and the events that followed. Be warned though it is at times a harrowing and brutally honest account, especially the first chapter, but still a very compelling and inspiring read.

My vote would go to Red Dragon by Thomas Harris. Just an incredibly written book that is genuinely unnerving and messed up. I know its old and people are way more likely to have seen the movies/TV series that are based on its background character, but it is an amazing book and the best of the series in my opinion.

I am almost finished reading The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. The way the author makes a book about a pedophilic serial killer beautiful to read is simple amazing! So far I give the book 5/5. The only way it could be ruined is if she fucks the last 10%.

Well she did fuck up the ending. Not to the point the book was ruined, but l feel she could have tied up the serial killer's story with a more plausible ending. Still give it 4.5/5 though!

Off to download my next read which is a BBB Recommendation: Rebecca by Ken Follet!

Madly trying to find Rebecca by Ken Follet = 0 results.

Come back to clarify and its The Key to Rebecca.

That's what you get for only reading every third word of forum posts ;)

I'm a mad mad book reader of every genre.

My list of bests in last 2 or so years (Some older but what I've read):
Best Thriller - Every Last One, Anna Quindlen or Gone Girl, Gillian Flynn
Best SciFi/Fantasy - Oryx and Crake, Margaret Atwood
Best Australian - Barracuda, Christopher Ts-(forget how to spell, it's been mentioned) or any of Liane Moriartry
Best Chic Lit, Me Before You, Jojo Moyes or any Marion Keyes
Best series, Game of Thrones!
Best ever favourites: Tully, Paullina Simons, She's Come Undone, Wally Lamb, and We Were the Mulvaneys, Joyce Carol Oates

I'd love some more recommendations for good SF! I'm a big fan of cyborgs (eg: Spare Parts by Sally Rogers-Davidson) and female space marines (i LOVED the Paradox series by Rachel Bach and am midway through the Valor series by Tanya Huff) as well as space opera and the like.

My last two reads were Katya's World and Katya's War by Jonathon L. Howard... I'm currently reading The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlen as I decided I should try and read some classic/older SF to broaden my tastes. I'm midway through The Expanse series by James S. A Corey (who is actually two authors collaborating!) and on my To Read list is Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie.

Has anyone read any Liane Moriarty novels? I've read a couple and they are probs the best 'chick lit' ever since Jane Austen. Big call, I know. But I'm calling it.

I enjoyed that one too, but my favourite is probably Three Wishes - it was the first of hers I read. Loved it, and a good one for a re-read on lazy Sundays. :)

I've only read The Husband's Secret and Big Little Lies, but I intend to read everything she writes. Wonderful, wonderful stuff. I love it!

Back