Skip to main content

Books to Buy

I've been listening to audio books on the drive to and from work. It makes the drive there less anxious and the drive home go quicker!

I've listened to a couple of crackers recently and will buy the books to read properly in a couple of years; I like to go back over some passages as I read and you just can't do that when you're driving :)

Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter is a wonderful story that starts in Italy at the time Cleopatra was being filmed in the '60's and ends there in the present day, by way of LA. It has some terrifically memorable characters and is full of gentle humour as it paints a realistic picture of human nature - some good, some not so good.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, on the other hand, is a fantastic psychological thriller with some awesome twists. It's the story of a man whose wife disappears on their fifth wedding anniversary. Did charming Nick kill the beautiful Amy? It's told through Nick's narration of events as they unfold, interwoven with extracts from Amy's old diaries. An awesome listen and I imagine an even better read! I've picked Gwyneth Paltrow to play Amy in a film version, but can't think of anyone to play Nick. Maybe Tim Olyphant (the gorgeous Sheriff Bullock from Deadwood), but he's maybe a bit too old? If you've read the book, I'd love to know what you think.

Last edited:
Oh crap, you got the atlas.....was going to suggest don't get that - the countries change so muchthese days almost as soon as you buy an atlas it's out of date, that is something it's better to do online.
Would have suggested one of the gorgeous Oxford dictionaries/anthologies.

If you like a laugh and a mystery, Janet Evanovich's bounty hunter series are great - don't be put of by a shitty movie they made of the first book.
Was also goin gto recommend Umberto Eco books if you like mysteries, but you need to think with him - Name of the Rose, Foucault's Pendulum - awesome book.

If I couldn't read I would be devastated!

My faves ATM are the Odd
Thomas books by Dean Koontz, the In Death series by JD Robb, Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta books (since she got her groove back), and Elvis Cole series by Robert Crais.

And agreed Kxk. Stephanie Plum books make me laugh my ass off. :D

I love The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. It's the best book i've read in a while.

If I couldn't read I would be devastated!

My faves ATM are the Odd
Thomas books by Dean Koontz, the In Death series by JD Robb, Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta books (since she got her groove back), and Elvis Cole series by Robert Crais.

And agreed Kxk. Stephanie Plum books make me laugh my ass off. :D

Books and art saved my life I reckon, I would not have survived my family nuthouse if I couldn't escape through these oh and music - LOL my bros I and I used to take our crappy little stereo out to the car and blast away where nobody couldyell at us:)

And re Ms Plum - damn I was so disappointed how they made such a crap movie with horrid casting, spewing!
And years ago I had it all cast perfectly - of course they grew too old, but I had The Rock as Ranger, and George Clooney as the ex too old even then.

And I thought of another sweet mystery series - The Number One Detective Agency, heaps in that series.

Books and art saved my life I reckon, I would not have survived my family nuthouse if I couldn't escape through these oh and music - LOL my bros I and I used to take our crappy little stereo out to the car and blast away where nobody couldyell at us:)

And re Ms Plum - damn I was so disappointed how they made such a crap movie with horrid casting, spewing!
And years ago I had it all cast perfectly - of course they grew too old, but I had The Rock as Ranger, and George Clooney as the ex too old even then.

And I thought of another sweet mystery series - The Number One Detective Agency, heaps in that series.

I refused to watch the movie. I have my own mental images of Stephanie, Morelli, Ranger, Lula, etc. Sound weird I know. :)

I got the DVD for $3, watched 10mins and gave up, so horribly miscast, such idiots. Debbie Reynolds looked promising same with woman from the View.....but totally boring, lead is a travesty.

Hi Nightowl how are you?

Lullaby - sounds very interesting; and thanks for that link to goodreads site.

Have you taken to e-reading? I'm in love with my Kindle.

No- I'm an absolute Luddite when it comes to e readers- ipads and iphones. Can't even do the internet on my phone yet.

I'm a bit behind in my Chuck P reading- but had to keep reading another - after I read the first one.

I saw a TV show- Falcon - set in Seville based on some books by Robert Wilson - so that's going to be my next book journey.

http://www.robert-wilson.eu/falcon/index.html

Has anyone read the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons? I'm obsessed at the moment.

I used to be an avid reader as a kid/teenager but in the past 6 years I've just been too busy/distracted-by-life-etc to even think about picking up a book and concentrating on it. In the past few months, however, I've really made a concerted effort to get back on the reading wagon. It's so relaxing and a great way to escape from real life for a while.

I've recently read:

The Kingkiller Chronicles (The Name of the Wind and The Wise Mans Fear) by Patrick Rothfuss. I'm eagerly anticipating the last book in the series. I'm not sure if it was a result of it being the first thing I read after such a long hiatus, but I fell madly, horribly in love with the series and it's lead character. I'm not even a huge lover of the fantasy genre usually (not the traditional "quest" genre, anyway) but damn, this got me in 100%.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn - Total pageturner and some fantastic characterisations. Do yourself a favour and read NOTHING about it before reading. I'll be damned if it doesn't shock you in parts.

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote - Heartbreaking, fascinating and maybe a little disturbing this is probably the first "true crime" book I've ever read. I've never been too interested in the genre, because eh, serial killers and violence freaks me out unless it's fictional. This is so well done though because nothing feel sensationalistic. It's really, really good. Highly recommended.

The Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb - I had this reccomended to me by someone who also loved The Kingkiller series but eh, it didn't do much for me. There were no real surprises and I found it hard to connect with the lead character. I didn't even both reading the next book in the series. It gets a LOT of praise though and it is - objectively - very well written so it might be worth a go.

My faves ATM are the Odd
Thomas books by Dean Koontz,

This was literally the last book I finished. Got through it in half a day. Such a page turner and highly entertaining. Epic conclusion too! Can't wait to read the rest of the series.

I used to be an avid reader as a kid/teenager but in the past 6 years I've just been to busy/distracted-by-life-etc to even think about picking up a book and concentrating on it. In the past few months, however, I've really made a concerted effort to get back on the reading wagon. It's so relaxing and a great way to escape from real life for a while.

I've recently read:

The Kingkiller Chronicles (The Name of the Wind and The Wise Mans Fear) by Patrick Rothfuss. I'm eagerly anticipating the last book in the series. I'm not sure if it was a result of it being the first thing I read after such a long hiatus, but I fell madly, horribly in love with the series and it's lead character. I'm not even a huge lover of the fantasy genre usually (not the traditional "quest" genre, anyway) but damn, this got me in 100%.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn - Total pageturner and some fantastic characterisations. Do yourself a favour and read NOTHING about it before reading. I'll be damned if it doesn't shock you in parts.

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote - Heartbreaking, fascinating and maybe a little disturbing this is probably the first "true crime" book I've ever read. I've never been too interested in the genre, because eh, serial killers and violence freaks me out unless it's fictional. This is so well done though because nothing feel sensationalistic. It's really, really good. Highly recommended.

The Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb - I had this reccomended to me by someone who also loved The Kingkiller series but eh, it didn't do much for me. There were no real surprises and I found it hard to connect with the lead character. I didn't even both reading the next book in the series. It gets a LOT of praise though and it is - objectively - very well written so it might be worth a go.

This was literally the last book I finished. Got through it in half a day. Such a page turner and highly entertaining. Epic conclusion too! Can't wait to read the rest of the series.
You will not regret reading the rest, Saxo. None of them disappointed. Fantastic reads all.

If you like fantasy I can't recommend enough a series by Joe Abercrombie called The First Law series. First book called The Blade Itself

I used to be an avid reader as a kid/teenager but in the past 6 years I've just been too busy/distracted-by-life-etc to even think about picking up a book and concentrating on it. In the past few months, however, I've really made a concerted effort to get back on the reading wagon. It's so relaxing and a great way to escape from real life for a while.

I've recently read:

[MENTION=37147]Saxo[/MENTION] you and I read 100% the same books. The Kingkiller chronicles are fabulous. And I too am waiting for the third one. Seriously if you liked all that please read Jo Abercrombie series The First Law. It's a bit brutal for some but I think it's amazing. I a JUST started reading Robin Hobbs the Assassins Apprentice...it's been sitting on my pile forever and finally I'm there

[MENTION=37147]Saxo[/MENTION] you and I read 100% the same books. The Kingkiller chronicles are fabulous. And I too am waiting for the third one. Seriously if you liked all that please read Jo Abercrombie series The First Law. It's a bit brutal for some but I think it's amazing.

I'll definitely check it out! I don't mind brutal so long as it's a great read!

I a JUST started reading Robin Hobbs the Assassins Apprentice...it's been sitting on my pile forever and finally I'm there

How you finding it so far? I hope you like it more than I did! I gave it a go directly after reading the Kingkiller series so there's a chance my perspective was blighted by unconsciously comparing the two novels in my head. Qvothe is a damn hard protagonist to beat!

Back