Books to Buy

reepbot

Tina Arena forever.
I've been reading Perry Mason books.

Also read some novelizations of the Monk and Murder She Wrote books. Really made me appreciate how important charm is when it comes to acting. Because I don't know if professional male writers have trouble writing female characters but both Natalie Teeger from the Monk show and Jessica Fletcher from Murder She Wrote come across much harsher and annoying than they do on television.

oddjob

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster
I read 20 books last year. 18 fiction, 2 non-fiction. 10 by women, 10 by men.
2015, 26 books. 24 fiction, 2 non-fiction. 6 by women, 20 by men.
2014, 16 books. 16 fiction, 0 non-fiction. 5 by women, 11 by men.
2013, 16 books. 15 fiction, 1 non-fiction. 4 by women, 12 by men.

Average 19 books. 18 fiction, 1 non-fiction. 6 by women, 13 by men.

Based on kxk's article, I think I relate to books in a more female than male way.
Okay didn’t make my target this year. I ended up working more than expected, but still quite a few years since I’ve read so much.

2017, 36 books. 26 fiction, 10 non-fiction. 16 by women, 20 by men.

I think Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders was probably my favourite. Commonwealth by Ann Patchett I also really liked. A lot more non-fiction this year, mostly biographical.

Last edited:

Alias

I just read a really interesting memoir called Gorilla and the Bird : a Memoir of a Mother's Love by Zack McDermott. It's about a man who suffers from bipolar disorder and psychosis, his relationship with his family and his determined, courageous mother who cares for him. He has a good sense of humour so despite the subject matter it's not too dark, and it's very insightful about trauma, psychosis and the treatment for it, which is not always ideal and can be traumatic in itself. I've been reading a lot about this recently because someone close to me is going through this. I've just started another one called Madness - A Memoir by Kate Richards. This one is a lot more dark, but I'm only a few chapters in so far. I hope it has a happy and hopeful ending like the first book does.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33784294-gorilla-and-the-bird

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20127513-madness

Last edited:

kxk

SAPIOSEXUAL
Bipolar has a strong fraternal genetic line across my family, I have cousins,uncle/aunts, sisters, probably my Dad - but he had PTSD so who knows, and one sister was diagnosed bipolar then they changed to personality disorder.....all I know is it was a crowded house of loopiness growing up.....since nobody was diagnosed or treated until years later...crazy seemed normal.

Came to books thread to post for @Mr Stickyfingers ....about street libraries and books in the wild....

Books in the wild .....is book crossing website, you pick a book, register it online, print label, paste in book and leave the book somewhere...on PT, bus stops, train stations and airports are popular....it can be fascinating as your book could travel the world.
I found one in St Kilda, it was so thrilling, shame the book sucked,
Here is the website...
https://www.bookcrossing.com/

What is BookCrossing?
BookCrossing is the act of releasing your books "into the wild" for a stranger to find, or via "controlled release" to another BookCrossing member, and tracking where they go via journal entries from around the world. Our community of passionate, generous book-lovers is changing the world and touching lives, one traveling book at a time. We hope you join us!
1. Label
2. Share
3. Follow

And Street libraries

https://www.facebook.com/pg/streetlibraryau/events/?ref=page_internal

https://streetlibrary.org.au/what-is-a-street-library/

Street Libraries are a beautiful home for books, planted in your front yard. They are accessible from the street, and are an invitation to share the joys of reading with your neighbours.
Street Libraries are a window into the mind of a community; books come and go; no-one needs to check them in or out. People can simply reach in and take what interests them; when they are done, they can return them to the Street Library network, or pass them on to friends.
If anyone has a book or two that they think others would enjoy, they can just pop it into any Street Library they happen to be walking past.
They are a symbol of trust and hope – a tiny vestibule of literary happiness.

And of course.....Doctor fans are involved....

The Longueville Reading Time Machine

Some place in NSW, is it near you????

The website has little libraries you can buy, build etc, but also a DIY plan on how to build one.
Love the TARDIS that is an old wardrobe...

Mr Stickyfingers

an old fart that rants at times...
Awesome site donor
...oh wow kxk!... I find this to be totally fascinating... what a great concept... I have given away all of my 'gathering dust' books (I think about around 45- 50 in the end from memory) just recently to an old people's home and have only kept my favourite books that I regularly read at times... apparently they love them from reports that my sister-in-law's daughter has told me... she works there caring for them... reading books does expand minds regardless of age it seems... but if I decide to cull more books this is a great option for sure... thanks for posting the website links... as I've said before... such a great concept... cheers.