Skip to main content

Body image

just hope the two female intruders are crash hot to see what the boys will do, and also what Jade and Tahan will think. sorry to put it that way.

I think they had a good mix this year also. Drew is ok but not buff crazy like the other boys, Xaver was average also. Tim and Ben are not what you would consider hot.
With the girls Tully was too thin (nice legs though), Jade and Tahan are hot, Mik, the sisters, Heidi, Shaz and Jas were all normal everyday girls.

What does the original OP consider a 'real' body? If you are talking about 100kg + for women then I am sorry that is not real that is a one way ticket to morbid obesity. Overweight does not automatically equal real just because there are more of you out there.

Also what @ Queen Allah said.

im sick of all the bleeding heart, do-gooders who expect the media to promote an unhealthy body type just so fat people can feel better about themselves.

It really bothers me that people say I wish we had more "real" body types in the house. It's such a double standard that people can say skinny people arent real but as soon as someone says a certain person is fat, sh*t hits the fan! Some people work very hard to maintain their weight and keep a slim and fit figure but then they get put down by comments like these. I think Jade and Tahan have great bodies.
I was thinking about this the other day when someone made a similar comment to [MENTION=36399]0987654321[/MENTION]. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people say "real women have curves" or otherwise imply that if someone's slim and/or attractive they're not a real woman. I'm naturally slim and am also tall. Would I not be considered "realistic" if I entered the BB house as the OP implies or would it be preferred if I tried to put on weight somehow? As you said, for some reason it's perfectly ok in our society to skinny bash - often to the point of being cruel ie she looks like a twig, she needs to eat a burger, she must be anorexic/bulimic, etc but heaven forbid if something is said about/to an overweight person. If I'm not a real woman simply because of my body size then I wish someone had called the Guinness Book of World Records when I pushed a baby out of my hoohaa. I could've made a fortune!

And men have body image issues as well. If someone's concerned about how young women watching BB might feel then don't be sexist and ignore young men who were treated to visions of Ed, Caleb and Matt shirtless most of the time. The hypocrisy of this stuff pisses me off on so many levels.

I was thinking about this the other day when someone made a similar comment to [MENTION=36399]0987654321[/MENTION]. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people say "real women have curves" or otherwise imply that if someone's slim and/or attractive they're not a real woman. I'm naturally slim and am also tall. Would I not be considered "realistic" if I entered the BB house as the OP implies or would it be preferred if I tried to put on weight somehow? As you said, for some reason it's perfectly ok in our society to skinny bash - often to the point of being cruel ie she looks like a twig, she needs to eat a burger, she must be anorexic/bulimic, etc but heaven forbid if something is said about/to an overweight person. If I'm not a real woman simply because of my body size then I wish someone had called the Guinness Book of World Records when I pushed a baby out of my hoohaa. I could've made a fortune.

Very well said. Today at work I didn't want any cheese cake and people were like oh ichi doesn't eat anything - I do actually I just didn't feel like any cheesecake at 10am!

I was thinking about this the other day when someone made a similar comment to [MENTION=36399]0987654321[/MENTION]. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people say "real women have curves" or otherwise imply that if someone's slim and/or attractive they're not a real woman. I'm naturally slim and am also tall. Would I not be considered "realistic" if I entered the BB house as the OP implies or would it be preferred if I tried to put on weight somehow? As you said, for some reason it's perfectly ok in our society to skinny bash - often to the point of being cruel ie she looks like a twig, she needs to eat a burger, she must be anorexic/bulimic, etc but heaven forbid if something is said about/to an overweight person. If I'm not a real woman simply because of my body size then I wish someone had called the Guinness Book of World Records when I pushed a baby out of my hoohaa. I could've made a fortune!

And men have body image issues as well. If someone's concerned about how young women watching BB might feel then don't be sexist and ignore young men who were treated to visions of Ed, Caleb and Matt shirtless most of the time. The hypocrisy of this stuff pisses me off on so many levels.

I agree 100% with what you have said, and yes many guys get depression when they don't have the bodies all the girls desire! Im sorry if you have ever been "skinny-bashed" I have a friend who is naturally slim also. She eats more than me but doesn't put on weight simply because of genetics. Yet she is scared to go to the beach in her bikini because people literally yell out "EAT A BURGER" or "You must be busy throwing up all the time" and seeing her ashamed to be skinny and wanting to put on weight infuriates me. And now I can't believe people are getting up Jade and Tahan for having great bodies.

Also, one thing I really hate is seeing people say "Men love women with curves, not stick and bones"...

I agree 100% with what you have said, and yes many guys get depression when they don't have the bodies all the girls desire! Im sorry if you have ever been "skinny-bashed" I have a friend who is naturally slim also. She eats more than me but doesn't put on weight simply because of genetics. Yet she is scared to go to the beach in her bikini because people literally yell out "EAT A BURGER" or "You must be busy throwing up all the time" and seeing her ashamed to be skinny and wanting to put on weight infuriates me. And now I can't believe people are getting up Jade and Tahan for having great bodies.

Also, one thing I really hate is seeing people say "Men love women with curves, not stick and bones"...

Remember Daniel Johns from Silverchair struggling with anorexia? That was quite sad

Remember Daniel Johns from Silverchair struggling with anorexia? That was quite sad

Oh i do remember that, and him saying "I didn't want to go to restaurants cause I felt every chef in the world wanted to poison me"
That's so crazy!!

Yeah that whole men only love women with curves or meat on their bones or whatever else nonsense people say pisses me off too. Not only is it hurtful but it's blatantly untrue to anyone who steps outside of their house and takes a look around at couples on the street. All of that bullshit is the antithesis of feminism and I'm not sure how or why it ever became acceptable to skinny bash. But it's like as the number of heavier people in society has increased, we've swung too far the other way in a supposed show of support (at the expense of slim people) instead of supporting all body shapes and sizes and that's even without bringing men with body image issues into the mix. Luckily I'm so much better at handling that crap now that I'm in my 30s but wow before then it was a struggle. I'd overcompensate in conversations and sometimes lie about how much I ate. Often I'd overeat when out with friends even though I wasn't hungry at all and then not go to the loo for a pee although I was busting because I didn't want people to think I was racing off to vomit. Like how wacked is that?

Hopefully your friend can someday find the confidence to just say stuff them all to those idiots who say shit to her and wear her bikini to the beach. And that's the same thing I said when I saw Heidi's body image video where she talked about being too ashamed for years to even wear a sleeveless shirt in public. If someone's too stupid to realise that a person's body is down to any number of factors, big or small, then those wankers aren't worth the grief.

[MENTION=35181]Mrs Butterface[/MENTION] completely agree with your posts.

Been having a similar discussion in regard to the phrase 'die cis scum' on another forum. Somehow it has become acceptable to hate on and belittle the 'privileged' (cis gender people, or in the case of this thread, thin people.) It makes me sad that somewhere along the line 'equality' became 'bring down the opposition' rather than everyone just accepting each other. I'm overweight, but I really hate this current movement of making overweight people feel better about themselves by making thin people feel shit about themselves.

This next point I'm struggling to think of a way to phrase that doesn't sound offensive, but I think accepting 'fat' as the norm is actually a really detrimental way of thinking. I do not mean that fat people should be shamed - because it doesn't do anything to actually help people make themselves healthier, it just makes things worse. But I don't know why we can't promote love of oneself and have that go hand in hand with bettering oneself - in anyway, as everyone has room for improvement. There is a big difference between judging people by their weight, and encouraging health. I used to be VERY overweight, and gained it over a period of time. I visited my doctor for many things in that time and not once was my weight mentioned - even when I became borderline diabetic. When I finally brought up my weight the doctor said "I'm glad you brought that up, it's been a concern of mine for some time but we have to be very careful about people's feelings when discussing weight." My sister is my complete opposite and quite slim (though not ESPECIALLY so), and regardless of what she went to the dr for, they brought up her weight and asked her if she was eating. We have this huge double standard in society right now, and it's not doing anybody any good.

REAL women come in every shape and size, because guess what? All women are real women.

[MENTION=35313]Queen Alla[/MENTION], that current argument of yours takes me immediately back to the one and only time I commented on a Reddit thread. There was a very prolific mod there who basically made it her (originally a he) mandate to vilify any cis genders who dared to comment in her threads, even if only to sympathise or gain some understanding. Fortunately they fell on their own sword and were removed from their duties eventually but I was like wow, you're doing it tough as it is from rednecks in society... surely you don't need to hate people simply because of what you see as their "privilege" re their gender. Like wtf?

I also agree that accepting fat as the norm is detrimental. 100%. The issues that can arise from being overweight are not only social but more importantly potentially life threatening or at the very least harmful. And obviously the same goes if a person is underweight regardless if it's due to their own doing or not. There's another Aussie forum I frequent once in awhile (don't want to post it in case it's against forum rules or something) and strangely enough today they had a post bashing Victoria Secret models, which to be fair probably had me already amped up when I saw this thread. For maybe the 20th time in the past year they've launched into VS women specifically or even the supposed type of people who shop there and the writer was trying to attack the Creative Director of VS who when talking about casting (something even ubermodels like Giselle and Miranda Kerr still have to do for VS) said "It’s really like being an Olympian - they really have to be in peak condition. It's not about being thin or anything like that – it’s about being ready to perform and be the best you can be in that moment." But of course they finished off the story with "If it wasn't about thinness, where are all the plus-size models". Ummm... maybe there aren't any plus-sized models because VS doesn't cater for plus sizes which is well within their right to do so? Seriously wtf?!

As for your doctor, I'd like to say I'm shocked but I'm honestly not. It took me a few go's and finally finding a decent GP before I found someone who believed I did in fact eat and/or wasn't an exercise bulimic or suffering from some other sort of disorder. And I'm not some sort of walking skeleton. One guy even tried to give me a prescription for those drinks people take to gain weight even though they're available off the shelf. And yet my friend who put on A LOT of weight following a horrible breakup and job redundancy still bitches about the fact her GP never once asked her what was going on or indicated she was approaching the clinically obese category. If she didn't have the self-awareness and support to start changing things she was on a path to major trouble and her trusted medical professional either didn't notice (I don't believe that) or didn't have the balls to say anything for fear of offending her. That's just fucking wrong.

Completely agreed.

Even at my heaviest, whenever I ate a healthy meal (I mean, god forbid I didn't want to be overweight) I would have people say things like "live yourself as you are" and "you should be proud of who you are as a person" and even "you aren't developing an eating disorder are you?"

I mean, what sort of fucked up world do we live in that not eating a bowl of chips and gravy is equivalent to having an eating disorder? Obviously that's an extreme example, but the mindset is the same. I love who I am as a person, but I am not proud of being overweight. And not being proud of being overweight is not akin to loathing myself. I just always bring it back to cigarette smokers - no one had any issue telling people that smoke that they are damaging their health, but tell a fat person that they're damaging their health by eating a bowl of chips and gravy every night and you're a judgemental, fat shaming asshole. Doesn't even make sense.

Very well said. Today at work I didn't want any cheese cake and people were like oh ichi doesn't eat anything - I do actually I just didn't feel like any cheesecake at 10am!
Sorry love, I missed this earlier! But yeah how annoying is that? What world are we living in where there is something wrong with a person not wanting dessert when they still have Sultana Bran on their breath from breakfast an hour ago? I sometimes think we're in a world of hurt as a society.

I'm hurt! You've been lying to us with your avatar! :p
haha!! To be fair to old Mrs B it's actually a GIF of him awkwardly dancing (VERY much like me) and that's why I picked him so I'm not 100% misrepresenting myself. But for whatever reason it didn't work on here and I can't be assed trying to sort it out. However now I'm going to start thinking of him as the poster child for skinny love thanks to this thread!

haha!! To be fair to old Mrs B it's actually a GIF of him awkwardly dancing (VERY much like me) and that's why I picked him so I'm not 100% misrepresenting myself. But for whatever reason it didn't work on here and I can't be assed trying to sort it out. However now I'm going to start thinking of him as the poster child for skinny love thanks to this thread!

Don't say 'skinny love'!!! You'll be accused of encouraging thinspiration!!!

Don't say 'skinny love'!!! You'll be accused of encouraging thinspiration!!!
Oh shit, you're right! So I guess that means I shouldn't add #thinspo #fitspo #cleanliving4lyf #activatedalmonds or #greensludgeinmasonjars to my signature then.

Not that it actually matters, but there is and has been a great mix of body types in the house this year. What show are you watching?
The most important thing is that they aren't promoting unhealthy body types - either of the extremes in terms of weight. Believe it or not, Jade and Tahan's figures aren't rarities in Australia. There are plenty of girls with their bodies out in society today, yet somehow it's not "real"?

The problem here is that there are people who are watching BB and actually see an issue with the range of body types.

Back