Skip to main content

Big Brother US Rewatch Thread

Zcsund1234

I haven't seen a thread for this yet, so I'll start one.

Even though I did start a binge of BBUK (which I will 100% continue eventually, after I finish my second round of Europe travelling in July/August) I have been iching for some Strategy based Reality TV after Survivor Au finished up.

I started rewatching BBUS2 and took notes and analysed each of the players games. I watched the BBUS series during covid, in a very long consistent binge that was over in 6 months. I'll post what I think about the season and the players once I finish it, I'm just over halfway.

I need something to help the next 12 weeks go by when I go away overseas again. Hopefully theres some BBUS fans here who would like to hear my thoughts, and hopefully theres some members here who like me a few years are not fans of the US version but would potentially like to hop on board!

At least with BBUSA it's a quick process to get through each series. Not quite sure how far I got when I rewatched - think I did BB2-BB5 but couldn't stomach BB6 so stopped there. I did BB16 too - not sure if any in between. I did do BBCAN1-3 during covid and might look at the 4th and 5th series if I get chance.

At least with BBUSA it's a quick process to get through each series. Not quite sure how far I got when I rewatched - think I did BB2-BB5 but couldn't stomach BB6 so stopped there. I did BB16 too - not sure if any in between. I did do BBCAN1-3 during covid and might look at the 4th and 5th series if I get chance.
ATM I'm watching a week's worth a day. Which doesn't take much time at all. And BB7-BBB14 are all pretty short for standard Big Brother seasons at 29 episodes each, so it's nothing.

From memory BB4 and BB9 were the only two I really struggled with at my initial watch. I'm really excited to watch BB3 again for Danielle. But BB2 is holding up really well on a rewatch. I could rewatch it many times over easily just as I could BBAU 2001. The BB2 cast is pretty unhinged and they're all iconically chaotic in their own right. They're either strategically great + great characters or just plain and simply chaotically bad at the game. It's great fun and it feels more like the BB I know from the earlier BBAU seasons. A lot of emphasis on the actual element of living in the house together.

From memory BB6 is where it starts to shift to this weird summer show of silly games and gimmicks. And Fuck the friendship, I am not looking forward to watching them again.

I’d love to hear your thoughts… I hated BB4 when it aired but on reflection I have mad respect for the way Jun played so for that reason it’s worth a rewatch.

BB6 I still to this day can’t understand why many consider it to be a top tier series. The twists were gimmicky, half the cast was completely unlikable, and while rooting for the Sov6 was fun it really only feels like it because The Friendship were so unworthy. I will say though that I have respect for the way the cast handled things post-series and that if they were to do a reunion series this cast would be the most interesting to see get a second shot at the game.

BB9 broke the American format for me. It was the first series I gave up on, I’d babbled in a few subsequent series but it became too easy to get annoyed at something and stop.

I’d love to hear your thoughts… I hated BB4 when it aired but on reflection I have mad respect for the way Jun played so for that reason it’s worth a rewatch.

BB6 I still to this day can’t understand why many consider it to be a top tier series. The twists were gimmicky, half the cast was completely unlikable, and while rooting for the Sov6 was fun it really only feels like it because The Friendship were so unworthy. I will say though that I have respect for the way the cast handled things post-series and that if they were to do a reunion series this cast would be the most interesting to see get a second shot at the game.

BB9 broke the American format for me. It was the first series I gave up on, I’d babbled in a few subsequent series but it became too easy to get annoyed at something and stop.
On Video Brother BB4 is definitly uploaded in the worst quality, which made it harder for me to enjoy it. But I did really appreciate Jun as a player and I loved her arc with Alison. Had they not been the final 2 then BB4 would not be worth watching IMO.

I think BB6 is popular mostly because of Janelle and Kaysar. I didn't mind watching it but I LOATHED the friendship. I think others enjoy the power shifts in the middle of the season and a lot of people seem to respect Maggie's win. For me I was just very underwhelmed by it.

As for BB9 that season just sucks. I never like the Duos twist in any version and the cast was so horribly unlikeable. And that final 4 HoH question that screwed over Sharon is infuriating and makes me not take the season seriously. I do not look forward to rewatching this season.

Other than that the only other seasons I can say I did not enjoy were BB11 and BB13. But most seasons are at least likeable.

On Video Brother BB4 is definitly uploaded in the worst quality, which made it harder for me to enjoy it. But I did really appreciate Jun as a player and I loved her arc with Alison. Had they not been the final 2 then BB4 would not be worth watching IMO.

I think BB6 is popular mostly because of Janelle and Kaysar. I didn't mind watching it but I LOATHED the friendship. I think others enjoy the power shifts in the middle of the season and a lot of people seem to respect Maggie's win. For me I was just very underwhelmed by it.

As for BB9 that season just sucks. I never like the Duos twist in any version and the cast was so horribly unlikeable. And that final 4 HoH question that screwed over Sharon is infuriating and makes me not take the season seriously. I do not look forward to rewatching this season.

Other than that the only other seasons I can say I did not enjoy were BB11 and BB13. But most seasons are at least likeable.
Jun and Allison easily one of the best final 2 in BB history. Such a genius strategy realizing that despite pretty much hating each other that they were each others best shot at making it to the end. If I ever got the chance to play I’d 100% want to try and play with that in mind.

Yes the likability of people like Janelle and Kaysar have a lot to do with BB6’s legacy status. IMO you’re most likely to have a better understanding of why we hated it at the time rewatching in chronological order.

Funny you should mention BB11 and BB13 as those are the two post BB9 series that I dabbled in albeit I completely understand why they were so hard to watch.

Jun and Allison easily one of the best final 2 in BB history. Such a genius strategy realizing that despite pretty much hating each other that they were each others best shot at making it to the end. If I ever got the chance to play I’d 100% want to try and play with that in mind.

Yes the likability of people like Janelle and Kaysar have a lot to do with BB6’s legacy status. IMO you’re most likely to have a better understanding of why we hated it at the time rewatching in chronological order.

Funny you should mention BB11 and BB13 as those are the two post BB9 series that I dabbled in albeit I completely understand why they were so hard to watch.
Yeah I definitly share your opinion on Jun and Alison, narrativly its pleasing. They hate each other but both know they can't beat anyone else. Moments like those in RTV are some of the best. It's a shame the season itself doesn't land as well.

BB11 is just meh to me, its a season where I don't really like anyone on the cast, and I hate Jeff. As for BB13 I find Rachel amusing as a television presence and I have said before that I love Daniele Donato. Apart from BB12 I have mixed opinions of first era of the show led by Alison Grodner. I find the Arnold Shaprio seasons to be more like the initial Big Brother that I know and love. BB2 oozes BBAU2001 vibes constantly throughout.

Alison one of the best houseguests ever IMO.
I will agree on that. She’s iconic. I was devastated when she got evicted on all stars. She was the person I was most looking forward to seeing play again. A real shame she’s never returned for a third go and she’s become a long forgotten old school player.

I totally get having a soft spot for certain seasons that others dislike. I like BB16 more than most as that was my first ever international season of big brother that I ever watched. I followed BB15 as it aired and then was able to watch the next year. I personally really like the cast.

My soft spot is BB25, mostly because it’s the first season where I watched live feeds every night and was able to experience big brother the way I want to. And not to mention cirie being there. I mostly love it because I’ll always remember it as the season I watched while travelling. And despite the stale gameplay I loved the cast.

Big Brother 4 aired on E4 in the summer following our 2003 UK series, and I remember being completely drawn in by how different it was.

I remember thinking, and still do, that the voiceover guy sounds like Ghostface on the phone in Scream!

Whether it was actually a good series of Big Brother, I can’t remember, but I remember being floored by the big personalities and gameplay, particularly after the very gentle series that we had just watched over here.

So I recently signed up for an IPTV service and one of the 24/7 channels airs old BBUS seasons in groups of about 5 seasons. Currently watching BB2 on Julie’s old rollaway TV.

It’s the 2nd eviction… I do find it a bit weird that these early seasons were strictly 1 hour episodes and yet they had time to fully flesh out a cohesive storyline, friends & family packages, we got to hear from all the voting HG’s before they cast their votes, the two nominees, and the outgoing HoH, the eviction interview, and crown a new HoH and modern season they often seem rushed.

So I recently signed up for an IPTV service and one of the 24/7 channels airs old BBUS seasons in groups of about 5 seasons. Currently watching BB2 on Julie’s old rollaway TV.

It’s the 2nd eviction… I do find it a bit weird that these early seasons were strictly 1 hour episodes and yet they had time to fully flesh out a cohesive storyline, friends & family packages, we got to hear from all the voting HG’s before they cast their votes, the two nominees, and the outgoing HoH, the eviction interview, and crown a new HoH and modern season they often seem rushed.
That is something I noticed as well. It feels like the eviction episodes offered a lot more in comparison to what we get now. And I can't even pinpoint why this is the case for the modern show, I'd have to look at an episode to compare.

I really do HATE how we have to sit and watch all of the housguests vote one by one. It takes up so much time and takes away all suspence for the viewer. When theres 13 housemates voting in a 16 player season sometimes the result is decided by the 7th person voting and we have to sit through two voting segments and a commerical break just to see if the vote is unamimous with absolutly no reason to keep engaged.

That is something I noticed as well. It feels like the eviction episodes offered a lot more in comparison to what we get now. And I can't even pinpoint why this is the case for the modern show, I'd have to look at an episode to compare.

I really do HATE how we have to sit and watch all of the housguests vote one by one. It takes up so much time and takes away all suspence for the viewer. When theres 13 housemates voting in a 16 player season sometimes the result is decided by the 7th person voting and we have to sit through two voting segments and a commerical break just to see if the vote is unamimous with absolutly no reason to keep engaged.
It’s the competitions eating up so much of the episodes.

I don’t mind the live vote I just wish we got more insight in to it. DR seems to be used more for narration rather than giving us insight in to what we’re not seeing.

Finished up with my rewatch of BB2 and it’s safe to say I enjoyed it just as much as I did the first time I watched it, if not even more. Despite the fact that previously I had always been strongly against the US format, this season is really enjoyable and gives off similar energy to the first Australian series at many points.

I think the strongest feature of this season is its incredibly dynamic, explosive, and polarising cast. This season’s cast is sandwiched in a really interesting situation, where they’re entering a show that has a huge emphasis on the social experiment aspect, whilst also being issued the responsibility of pioneering the game we now know today.

In my personal opinion, most of the players from this season are not top-tier players in the grand scheme of Big Brother. They are a messy and chaotic bunch who not only play the game emotionally but take the strategic part of the game too seriously to the point of overthinking it. Several players like Kent, Boogie and Nicole had the right mindset for the show but allowed emotion to flaw their gameplay and actively blew up their games through their own mistakes. Other players such as Krista, Bunky, Monica and Hardy came across as holier than thou throughout the course of the season and berated people for doing what was best for them. But it is the way these players play the game and the dynamic they create that makes this season such a compelling viewing experience.

My absolute favourite part of the season is it culminates with the two most dynamic characters Dr. Will and Nicole (who are without doubt the best players) making it to the end. Whilst one dominated the game strategically the other was able to pander to the jury better and was able to highlight what got them to the end, resulting in the right person winning in my mind. A win that has been attempted by many to emulate and use as inspiration for their own. Yet, in my opinion, none of them have actually managed to do so the same way Dr. Will Kirby actually managed to.

The season itself blends the strategic aspect as well as the social experiment part of the show together in the best way possible. The game is being played but the edited episodes highlight dynamics far beyond just simply who is talking with who. We get insights into who is hard to live with and how the players each feel about the experience itself. The actual part of living in the house itself is a part of the show that has been omitted from the edited show for a long while now, just as the survival aspect of Survivor has been. But Big Brother 2 is presented perfectly just the way I want to.

Throughout my rewatch of the series I am left satisfied, but it also sparked desiderium within me, due to realising the magic of 2000s reality television is truly gone now. I think the season did an impeccable job of implementing the strategy part of the show into the social experiment without actually taking away anything from the show. Not only that, but since it is such an early season of the show with minimal comparisons to make to it at the time, the cast feels really natural, and it seemed like I was watching the real them on screen. It’s hard to hope that a cast would appear this unapologetically themselves again, but that also comes with people realising you need to act a certain way in social games in order to do well.

All in all, it’s a great season. I truly love it. My opinion on it has if anything increased exponentially. I would argue it is worth a watch for anyone out there who hasn’t watched American Big Brother or for anyone who wants a taste of reality television similar to Survivor, but different.

I’ll post my thoughts on each player, and I may include a player ranking as well once I complete my write-ups.

Last edited:
This took me far too long to do, I really need to start giivng this amount of effort to my University assignments lmao.

Justin: What is there to even say about this psycho? He was everything I expected him to be just by looking at him the first time I watched this season. An aggressive straight man who would probably physically assault someone (like he did post-show). His game was horrible aside from his controversy, he didn’t seem to have any allies that valued him as a player, and he got into aggressive arguments with people like Kent with no sense of how it would impact him. He’s just a disgusting human being and I wouldn’t be surprised if Julie felt extremely uncomfortable interviewing him.

Sheryl:
One of the more likeable/positively edited people on this season who I think was lost far too soon. She seemed very well liked by many people on this cast and had she not been nominated as a pawn in week 1 she could have lasted a long while and could have added an extra dynamic. She is without any storyline however as all of her content was her being a “hot mom” as said by Will. It’s not very often we see people of her archetype coming across as that likeable and I did love how receptive she was to a player like Will by the end.

Autumn: I had no memory of what she was like until this rewatch, and I would say she was a massive waste of a casting spot. She essentially just quit the game and was evicted in a bit of a wasteful round of gameplay. She very clearly had a lot of issues revolving around her self-confidence that she needed to address before the show, and hopefully, she did. She is barely memorable as a character as her entire storyline essentially occurs in episode 5 as she has the argument with Shannon and speaks about wanting to leave the game. What pretty much happened is she gave up.

Shannon: I’m not sure how the general fanbase feels about her, but I like her. She added drama and took on the head honchos in the house who were so high and mighty up on their moral high ground. Was she a bitch? Yes, probably. But it was fun. The Hardy’s toothbrush incident is iconic and is so 2000s reality television. I wish something like that would happen again, but it never will. She has her argument with Autumn where she very maliciously puts a bag of chips on her side table (which I have read was due to Autumn giving up on a fast that would have resulted in the house winning a reward) and then her major contribution to the show is her showmance with Will, which to me came across as purely sexual.

I don’t think she’s a very good player, way too aggressive and she actively burned her position so Will could stay. I would have preferred she stayed, but the TOP alliance crumbling offered a lot of drama regardless of her being there or not. She definitely would have thrived in later seasons where the competitions became more physical, I think then she would have had more legroom to become a force to be reckoned with and to be a catalyst for petty drama. But I could never see her ever winning a jury vote. It’s a shame that generally she is the long-forgotten member of Chill Town.

Mike: If I’m going to talk about him based on this season alone, then this is probably the easiest version of him to stomach. He is beyond cringe, and I imagine he was cringe at the time as well, but he was a pretty savvy player in my mind. He was one of the only people to realise that the most dangerous people in this game are the popular players due to the jury vote deciding who wins. But at the same time, he seemed to put too much emphasis on this train of thought and neglected to work on NOT isolating members of the house. He is the first ever HOH, was the first one to nominate a pawn and was the first to have his plan fail. The thinking behind nominating a likeable pawn in Sheryl so he could ensure Nicole goes is logical and I see why he initiated the plan, but I guess he and the other players learnt that week 1 is not the week to do it.

I don’t entirely think he is at fault for what occurred as it’s more of a situation where Nicole should be given credit for managing to rally votes. But aside from his HOH reign he still did a poor job at managing relationships with people like Kent and Hardy. In my opinion, he got very unlucky with Kent winning the HOH competition (and to add Mike came second in that comp) because had anyone else aside from Nicole or Hardy won, I don’t think he would have gone home this week. I think it did the series better however to have Will on his own for the later part of the game, so losing Mike was no loss as he if anything hindered Will. The decision to cast him for All Stars is definitely a choice, I understand why but Big Brother history would be a lot better off had he just remained a forgotten early boot on Big Brother 2.

Kent: One of the biggest characters of the season’s first half, and one of the most interesting players to watch IMO. Upon entering he immediately declares his unforgiving homophobia to several players, only for him to later befriend the one and only gay man in the house, Bunky. His friendship with Bunky did redeem him in my eyes, it did feel like he was growing more tolerable and was actually educating himself. Only for him to then tell Julie in his eviction interview that he still thinks homosexuality is “perverse” and his opinion did not change at all. It seems though that later in life this would be challenged as he had remained friends with Bunky until his death in 2017 and even attended Gay Pride with Bunky and had housed him whilst he was divorcing his husband.

As for his game, it was pretty chaotic watching his rise as HOH turn into a very sharp fall. He won HOH and decided to nominate and target Mike instead of Will seemingly because nominating Will would be boring. And then also becomes an aggressive tyrant who lets the power go to his head and destroys the relationships he made with the TOP alliance (an alliance that as Mike said, was created due to circumstance rather than through interpersonal relationships). I always find it interesting when watching Big Brother US that people tend to fear the HOH for them simply having the title, but in reality, once nominations are set the HOH has no power anymore. Especially in Kent’s case where only five people were voting he had no say in what happened, yet it is at this point where he decides to abuse his HOH status and tried to create several alliances within the house and then pretty much destroyed his and also Bunky’s position moving forward.

He did try his absolute best to rally votes and to form a coalition against Nicole and Hardy, but he didn’t end up accomplishing much. But whilst he was a pretty messy player and a controversial figure, I did find him at times to be humorous and his friendship with Bunky is a cute storyline for an older season.

Krista: I remembered being more prominent on the show and I was even kind of shocked to be reminded that her eviction happens just after the halfway point in the series. She initially was someone in the game who had a lot of wiggle room as she didn’t actively choose a side. Everyone in the house liked her and players like Bunky, Hardy and Monica were actively trying to get her to the end and allow her to win due to her personal circumstances. She probably could have gone further in the game had she not won the week 2 HOH, as she was forced to pick a side too early in the game for a floater esc type of game. She did piss off half the house for not nominating Chilltown and instead targeted Autumn which actually achieved nothing. This also resulted in a bitter rivalry between her and Kent which only intensified as he nominated her alongside Mike and evicted him. She was mostly a well-positioned player and also did get very unlucky that Nicole won HOH (who was one of the only players who actively was playing self-interestedly).

She was a very dangerous player as far as jury threats go, so I don’t think a path to the end for her would have been easy, but she is a player who would make it to the late stages of the game multiple times. As a character, I did find her likeable, but I did hate how she kind of put herself above the game and talked down to Will for voting for her when he had no other choice. It was interesting to also read about her messy life post-show, and how she (according to Mike) had abandoned her daughter due to her obsession with chasing fame and was arrested for manslaughter. I also cringed when Mike proposed to her at the finale, I am not shocked in any way shape or form that they did not go through with it.

Bunky: He is probably the closest thing to Benjamin Zabel that the US version gets to. On one hand, he was very likeable and the most positively edited player on the cast, but he was also incredibly babied by the cast and was a very weak player. His storyline opens with his coming out to players like Autumn and Mike which was very positive, as well as his friendship that had formed with Kent, but then he became a bit of a background player who just did what he was told. He was always in a good position with the house, everyone did seem to like him, but through his association with Kent, he was pretty much a dead man walking from the final 6 onwards. Had someone other than Nicole won the Final 6 HOH he would have gone. Once Kent had been evicted, he was expecting to go, and his game just stops in its tracks. He even admits to being “a puppet for Nicole” even though he was one of the bigger jury threats left in the game once Krista leaves.

There are positives to his game, such as his social positioning and win equity, but he had no agency. But he was a positive character on the season, and I did like that the gay guy in this cast was not your conventional stereotype of what they would choose. To me, he stuck out more as his own type of character who was just a sensitive pushover, who eventually stuck out as a threat. I don’t love that by the end he sanctimoniously voted against Will at the end, but I feel like he would have a different perspective on the game today and I would argue he should have been in All-Stars over Mike. I seriously hope to god though that if his dream of returning to the show happened, he would first shave his back.

Hardy: I have never cared for the Captain America archetype in the US reality television world, but Hardy is also far more interesting to watch in his defence. He starts as this nice pretty boy who everyone liked, standard. Then he wins HOH targets Will and Shannon and essentially cements himself within the majority group due to his raging hatred of Chilltown. But then, he has a major adult tantrum and defects from the TOP alliance and forbids anyone from strategizing with him, but when rewatching the scene, it was clear to me that this was more so directed at just Kent, whom he subsequently nominates. I do credit him for his inclusion in the pseudo-alliance “the untouchables” which he had with Krista and Monica, in addition to his strong bonds with Nicole and Will, as it was all of these bonds, he had with vital players which gave him agency in the game. I would say he was consistently well positioned in the game up until he and Nicole make the fatal mistake of evicting Bunky through being misted by the evil Dr. I don’t think Hardy made the mistake through actively being a bad player, he just got played, and it was satisfying to see his downfall occur at the hands of Will.

Whilst I usually dislike his archetype and argue they don’t bring much to the show, he actually has this major negative turn in his edit, going from this likeable nice guy who is the perfect package to then appearing as this short-tempered and arrogant tyrant of a player who also acted as if the game was beneath him. And then happens the peanut butter jelly offer, where not only does Hardy also accept the deal but loses, he berates anyone for choosing money and making them all eat PB&J sandwiches. The pompous behaviour he displayed just made me roll my eyes and it was SO SATISFYING watching him get outright played by Will. Whilst he held a lot of control in the game, I don’t think he could have won it due to Chilltown outwardly hating him, and he had also pissed off several cast members because of how arrogant he became. I find him to be a bit overrated as a player, but his switch from hero to villain makes me feel justified in my feelings towards him.

Monica: It’s a real shame she was as under-edited as she was because she was and is a real star housemate, probably one of my top 5 favourite characters from the early seasons. She was completely herself and unapologetically so. I loved how she spoke in riddles and ridiculous phrases and even did so in such a way that was so real to her that it came across as hilariously rehearsed because she was just so interesting as a person. A solid player as well, she knew to keep quiet and focus on relationships in the beginning and allowed herself to coast her way to the deep part of the game where she positioned herself so well by the end, she was merely a competition away from winning the game very handily. It’s just sad she doesn’t have a set storyline apart from her close bonds with Krista and Bunky, because she made great viewing. Her last week especially is very memorable, my heart goes out to her for how 9/11 impacted her. She handled herself so well and she showed herself to be a really strong woman. And watching her go from hating Will to being one of his loudest and proudest supporters extends the satisfaction I got from watching this season. And her dragging Nicole so passive-aggressively on her way out was awkwardly hilarious. She was beyond her time, and I think she would be a fantastic addition as a returnee nowadays. Her not being chosen for All-stars was flat-out disappointing

Nicole: Apart from the season’s victor she was undoubtedly the most complex character with the most interesting arc. In week 1 it is made clear her abrasive personality was hard for everyone to live with, and she was put into the immediate position of a dead woman walking. She then did well to secure bonds with those who felt outcasted by Chilltown and managed to secure her position within the opposing alliance. She wasn’t necessarily positioned the best, as she was on the bottom of the TOP alliance, but she managed to avoid being a target in the near future. Her dominance of the game truly starts once Hardy and her begin winning back-to-back-to-back competitions and Chilltown had been decimated. Her bond with Hardy assured her safety and I think her friendship with Hardy whilst genuine, was also astutely used to her benefit.

What is the most interesting to me is her love/hate relationship with Will. At the midpoint in the season, she agrees to make a deal with him to ensure she and Hardy keep him until the final 3. Which has evidently proven to be her blind spot in the game and probably her most questionable move. Whilst yes, her thinking that he was an easy beat in the game was not a wrong assumption in theory, I think she failed to actually realise just how poor she was as a winner candidate herself. It was clear in the edit that she was hard to live with, and that many jury members actively did not want her to win. She had also aligned herself far too close to Hardy in my mind which did harm a lot of her jury chances. And whilst she did hold a lot of control within the evicting part of the game, but once Kent was evicted, she lost the game. She had no way of winning as she would have to every single person left. Whilst she was thinking of how to manoeuvre through the game, I feel like she was too focused on getting to the end rather than getting to the end and having a winning chance. I just felt like there was also a lot of contradiction within her game, she kept saying she promised her husband Jeff she would do whatever it took to get her the win, yet she wanted to go to the end with Hardy. Who she very easily loses to.

And on the subject of her husband, let’s talk about it. On the edited show there appears a banner supposedly from her husband that flies over the house that reads something along the lines of Jeff being hurt about something she did with Will in the hot tub. The show portrays it as if nothing happened and the cast even claims the situation was overblown. But I did some deep diving and serious research and came across a Reddit post that outlines what happened. And it appears the entire group got drunk and amid the raunchy activities, Nicole allegedly gave Will a foot job after repeatedly trying to see his penis. What a wild time watching feeds would have been back then lmao.

As a character I found myself being hot and cold with her. I appreciated her presence and contributions to the show but did find her irritating. It was her personality that annoyed me per se, it was just her cockiness and sore loser attitude that pissed me off. She got a bit of a big head once she had secured power after evicting Krista, but she was painful to watch whenever something did not go her way. It was really funny to watch her adult tantrum when she lost the final 4 HOH which she so desperately needed. She is still a very fascinating character to watch play the game, it is super fun to watch her go from potentially being a bottom-tier first boot to slowly working her way up to the top, only to then lose in the end by the series’ protagonist. I would say she is a player who was before her time and her loss did help emphasise the importance of jury management and also highlight that getting to the end is one thing but positioning yourself to get there and also win is another. I would love to see how she would play today in the modern game, it’s a shame it’s never eventuated and likely never will either.

Dr Will: I have so much to say about him that the thought of writing it all down caused me to avoid actually opening up my laptop and doing so for two whole days after finishing the season. I will start by saying that I had always said Big Brother US’ format was inferior to the original premise of the show, and that having the contestants vote each other out results in boring winners and uninteresting results. Well, Dr. Will Kirby well and truly challenges my thought process as he is quite possibly my favourite Big Brother winner of all time. And I do mean that. Big Brother 2 on its own is already a fantastic season, I probably couldn’t even pick between it and BBAU2001 if I took bias out of it, and the fact that Will wins it, just makes it all the better. And the best part is, how in the fucking world did this man not only win the show but also won the first show. Comparing BBUK and BBAU, Will is the type of winner who would not arise as a champion until almost a decade into the show. And if the format that I am a massive proponent of was used he would very likely have been evicted early anyway. His win is so narratively pleasing that I can’t even believe it’s real.

I have read many people on Reddit and on podcasts state that Nicole should have won against Will and whilst I will give Nicole credit for what she achieved, I just cannot agree with that statement. And yes, I do look at a player's in-game position as one of the biggest factors in how I would assess players in social strategy games, but Nicole was not necessarily poisoned better than Will to win the game. As I mentioned Nicole’s only shot at winning once TOP had succeeded in almost destroying Chilltown was if she were at the end with Kent. Will at least had an obvious win against Nicole, but he could have also easily beaten Kent and Hardy IMO. And had Chilltown had the comps go their way and he ended up with Mike or Shannon at the end alongside him, he more than likely would win against either of them. The man had win equity despite being hated by half the house. And just like Nicole he also worked his way from a poor position to a better position to where he was sitting very likely to win once he evicted Hardy. Once Monica had lost part 2 of the HOH comp, Will had won. I don’t think it’s fair to rank Will as a worse player than Nicole in BB2 due to lack of dominance since he did better than she did at actively securing himself a winning position in my mind.

Whilst I do give him credit, I cannot pretend like his first half of gameplay was great. If anyone from TOP had won that week 2 HOH comp, then Dr Will would have been evicted in week 2 and never would have become the legend he is today. He got very lucky there and also got very lucky that Shannon was happy to fall on her sword for him, although he probably stays nominated beside her regardless anyway. And he then got lucky again that someone as unpredictable as Kent got HOH the week Mike went home. But in fairness to Will, he has to be given credit for arguably handling relationships with these HOHs better than his allies. I think Will did take a while to realise that he does need to care about the other players to succeed, but once he does, he very humbly submits to a position of no power and even plays up to it and demonstrates perfect threat management. He very astutely observed who the power players were in Nicole and Hardy and managed to establish bonds before securing a deal with them to keep him safe. He managed to allow himself to sneak through the middle section of the game whilst the TOP alliance crumbled, and then he was also able to let the duo in power take out threats for him and leave little blood on his hands. And my favourite move of his was when he threw the HOH comp at the final 4 and secured himself all the power, he needed to oust Hardy and ensure he had the win set up from there.

His game was super fun and interesting whilst also risky. And I love that he chose to go along this route of being unapologetically evil and openly admitting to lying. And the fact that he was everyone’s biggest enemy and was the one to take down the cocky duo, it’s just so pleasing. He is an absolute master of reading and analysing social hierarchies it seems. I firmly believe everything he did was calculated and purposeful. He knew exactly how to rectify himself with the jury and that was to be the one to take down the pair no one wanted to see win. And it all ended up working perfectly. Now of course, he also got extremely lucky that Hardy was ineligible to compete in the final 4 HOH which ensured his chance of victory would increase, but he still actively made use of any situation at any point which solidifies the confidence I have in him as a player. He pioneered the game that we know today, and many players after him have used him as a blueprint. I love his philosophy on how winning competitions does nothing more than make you a threat and burn people. And I do agree with him. The basic concept of this game is human chess and he’s able to actually perfect it whilst still being his obnoxious self.

As a character, he is fantastic, even aside from his gameplay. He’s fun, he’s hilarious, he’s polarising, he’s energetic, he’s obnoxious, he’s arrogant and he’s just plain and simply good TV. He knows how to ham it up to the cameras, but he does so whilst being genuine about it and having fun. It’s so fascinating to watch someone be such a dick yet be so charming at the same time. It is so weird to watch. He knows how to piss people off but can also reel them back in instantly. It is insane. He is a master at human manipulation and coercion, and I would love to find out where he developed these skills. And it’s not a bad thing that he was sexy as all hell. I very much look forward to watching him play again on All-Stars, which is my favourite US season. He is without doubt my favourite houseguest on Big Brother 2, and is in my opinion the best player of all.

Back